My Real Opinion On Empress And Cuba

I booked Empress with some trepidation because the ship was so small, but Royal has done an outstanding job of refurbing her. She feels like a modern Royal ship (minus the amenities, of course), it's laid out well, and just plays a lot larger than it is.

1,800 people and it never felt crowded. You could always find a seat in the Windjammer (even though the food line was sometimes long - but it moved quickly), and there were more private areas than most modern ships, which was nice.

Cuba was a delight. Forget everything you see about the classic cars - there's not that many of them and they're really a very small part of Havana. Lots to see and do, and the Cubans are extremely friendly and accommodating.

Food was good (can't rave about it, but it was no worse than other ships in the fleet) and the staff was generally very friendly and helpful, although my stateroom attendant wasn't that on the ball.

All in all, highly recommended! I will do it again soon.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Empress! I booked my Empress cruise about a month and a half before it departed last year, and despite an itinerary change to avoid a hurricane, we had a fabulous time. The ship was so nicely refurbished and modernized, and the only time I realized I was on a small ship was when I walked from the forward to the aft in half the time of my other cruises, but that's not a bad thing! Little ship, big heart! :D

When we were there in May, the old cars were everywhere. I was amazed at how many we saw.

Agreed - I'm very surprised by that comment. In fact, there were so many old cars that I ended up forgetting to get many photos of them because they were just so common!!

I see the OP took a walking tour, so maybe that's why they missed them? Don't think I remember cars in the streets when I walked around Old Havana. But, rest assured, there are A LOT!

I was on the Empress in June for 5 nights 2 days in Cuba.

I forgot how nice it was to sail on a smaller ship like the Empress. Been on too many Big one's.

Felt like I was on a New Ship. Everything was great. Loved the crew. You could really get to know them as they had time to talk, not like on the big boy ships.

Easy to walk from one end to the other. Everything was really clean. And the whole ship had a good vibe to it.

Looking forward to sailing the Empress again.

How was the weather in may and was the tour through the ship?

The weather was hot and humid - no different from other parts of the Caribbean in May. It drizzled a little in the afternoon and and cooled off to almost perfect.

Yes, the tour was through the ship to make the visa easier, but it was great so no regrets.

The weather was hot and humid - no different from other parts of the Caribbean in May. It drizzled a little in the afternoon and and cooled off to almost perfect.

Yes, the tour was through the ship to make the visa easier, but it was great so no regrets.

Thanks for your reply