Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

That's good to hear Bob. We have muster drill at 5:30pm and dinner at 6pm. Didn't want to get dressed for dinner and have to attend the muster drill in dress clothes.

Depending on what time we board we might not even have our luggage yet.

Bill

I have worn shorts, polo shirt and sneakers (Which I usually wear on embarkation day) the first night in the MDR on every cruise we have been on as we always do early dining and our luggage has only been delivered before early dining once. That one time it was delivered before dinner I didn't rush back to change into something else. :cool:

I wonder what will happen if I show up at Giovanni's or Chops on the first night of our cruise on the Adventure of the Seas in shorts?

Bill

We had Giovanni's booked the first night in a family vacation, and my son came in tacky shorts. He didn't have a choice, the suitcase hadn't arrived in his cabin and he couldn't change. We didn't hear anyone say anything, and we all enjoyed dinner.

We had Giovanni's booked the first night in a family vacation, and my son came in tacky shorts. He didn't have a choice, the suitcase hadn't arrived in his cabin and he couldn't change. We didn't hear anyone say anything, and we all enjoyed dinner.

So, what do you consider as tacky shorts? Like those Daisy Dukes?

I agree with you on this. That's just downright nasty. When you can SMELL a diner, they should be politely asked to leave. Just my opinion.

A very dear friend and colleague of mine had breast cancer. Due to the type of treatment she received she was not allowed to use deodorant for an extended period of time and had to use salt balls. She was horrified as no matter how many showers a day she took, she found the salt balls did nothing for the smell in her case.

This was not a case of her having bad hygiene but a case of a smell caused by a serious and life threatening illness.

I get there is a difference between a sweaty person who has not showered and my friends case. But put yourself in the position of my friend if you had asked for her to be removed because you could smell her due to no fault of her own. That's like saying she should not be allowed out of her house in case her smell offends someone. Not everything in life is perfect.

We had a group of family members go to Bermuda this July. My brother, who's in his 40's, wore shorts to the MDR ( not on formal night). At least once, maybe more. I wasn't paying attention. But yes, Bob, they were nice shorts! designer flat front style. Nice shirt. nice shoes.

But, he did not at any point wear a lanyard! lol.

A very dear friend and colleague of mine had breast cancer. Due to the type of treatment she received she was not allowed to use deodorant for an extended period of time and had to use salt balls. She was horrified as no matter how many showers a day she took, she found the salt balls did nothing for the smell in her case.

This was not a case of her having bad hygiene but a case of a smell caused by a serious and life threatening illness.

I get there is a difference between a sweaty person who has not showered and my friends case. But put yourself in the position of my friend if you had asked for her to be removed because you could smell her due to no fault of her own. That's like saying she should not be allowed out of her house in case her smell offends someone. Not everything in life is perfect.

I have utmost sympathy for your friend as for the others in question who had no excuse?

Pleased we get a table for 2.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

That's good to hear Bob. We have muster drill at 5:30pm and dinner at 6pm. Didn't want to get dressed for dinner and have to attend the muster drill in dress clothes.

Depending on what time we board we might not even have our luggage yet.

Bill

FYI - dinner on the first night will usually be pushed to 6:30 if you have a muster drill at 5:30.

We had a group of family members go to Bermuda this July. My brother, who's in his 40's, wore shorts to the MDR ( not on formal night). At least once, maybe more. I wasn't paying attention. But yes, Bob, they were nice shorts! designer flat front style. Nice shirt. nice shoes.

But, he did not at any point wear a lanyard! lol.

Are you sure the shorts were not dress shorts or smart shorts?;)

OK thanks for that heads up. I don't understand why they would take 6pm reservations if they know this in advance.

Bill

I was referring to main dining room dining times for the entire cruise, not any specific reservations - as in, if you have a 6:00 pm dining time all week, your dinner on the first night will actually start at 6:30 due to the muster drill. If you have a specific reservation somewhere for 6:00 pm on that first night, you might want to double check when you get on board, but I wouldn't sweat it. There are a couple thousand other people who will also be late to dinner that night.

Many people seem to be okay with clean outfits, non-athletic shorts, etc. for casual nights.

In recent years Royal Caribbean has made no distinction in formal nights and other nights in regards to food, service, ambiance, etc., in the dining room. As I've said the last 2 or 3 years, someone please point to the differences. The MDR is no longer the best meal or service on the ship, it just isn't. The cruise line won't make it so because they have specialty dining to sell. Just accept that with bigger ships and more passengers they need to fill them up week after week to remain successful and in todays world where business casual is acceptable for many professionals, going on a hot weather vacation and dressing up isn't in their interests. Nothing wrong with resort casual. I resent constantly being lumped into such stupid labels as slob, lacking morals, doing things to piss of strangers, etc. It's an absolutely absurd point with no founding. I go to the caribbean to relax and kick back. This isn't an issue on NCL ships where resort casual is the order of the day. I can't believe so many people pretend to be good people and come online and say the nastiest stuff about strangers, only men, because they want to be relaxed on vacation. Those are the ones who truly ought to be ashamed of themselves.

How about this; we eliminate all specialty restaurants, we eliminate my time dining, and we go back to Early and Late seating for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. But with it the cruise line has to pitch in with white glove service, table side prep of salads, baked alaska parades, true 5 course menus, intermezzo, midnight buffets, deck side ice carvings, dinner chime bells, wine stewards, crumb scrapers, after dinner shots and drinks, servers that did not have to run around like cats on crack because the CEO had to pump up numbers for the quarter by cutting staff. I'll dig out the suit.

Also, let's finally just admit that no one gives a rip what women do; they only get wound up by men.

Actually I said it about both men and women in my post if you read i t again... "women in suit cover ups that cover up nothing and bare feet...." and I didn't say ust men in shirts turned inside out. Why does it have to be a huge fancy meal to dress well? NCL isn't resort casual it is whatever you pick up off the floor wear it casual. Even the staff noticed, I asked.

Forma night diffeetn dishes were used, different clothes are worn by staff, the table is doen differently. When people dress in suits and dressy clothes they act differently. It just happens. The theory of dress for success works for a reason, well though we are not dressing for success of a job, we are dressing for a better look which should make one

feel better about

one self.

I wear dress shorts all day when it is hot but on a night time there is no need because there is air conditioning in the bars and restaurants so i wear long trousers and short sleeved shirt with dress shoes.

So easy to do and without the excuse of being on a Caribbean cruise.:cool:

Actually I said it about both men and women in my post if you read i t again... "women in suit cover ups that cover up nothing and bare feet...." and I didn't say ust men in shirts turned inside out. Why does it have to be a huge fancy meal to dress well? NCL isn't resort casual it is whatever you pick up off the floor wear it casual. Even the staff noticed, I asked.

Forma night diffeetn dishes were used, different clothes are worn by staff, the table is doen differently. When people dress in suits and dressy clothes they act differently. It just happens. The theory of dress for success works for a reason, well though we are not dressing for success of a job, we are dressing for a better look which should make one

feel better about

one self.

I'll feel better about the money spent when the staff are not rushing around like maniacs and the good food returns to the MDR. Since neither is likely to happen, a different plate on the table doesn't fool me.

I'll feel better about the money spent when the staff are not rushing around like maniacs and the good food returns to the MDR. Since neither is likely to happen, a different plate on the table doesn't fool me.

But it answered the question that you asked about it just being about men and what was different. hence my post. I think if you feel that shorts are in order and that RCCl is just as casual as Carnival,why cruise RCCL? seems you're not happy with them unless it is wear what ever day. Who's fooling who?

feel better about

one self.

That is a very reasonable post IMO.

But it answered the question that you asked about it just being about men and what was different. hence my post. I think if you feel that shorts are in order and that RCCl is just as casual as Carnival,why cruise RCCL? seems you're not happy with them unless it is wear what ever day. Who's fooling who?

Itinerary and nicer ships, usually a less rowdy crowd