What Sets the Regal/Royal Apart From Other Cruise Ships?

need2cruisesoon

Princess Live has replaced Explorer's. More studio like for game shows and such...small though.. Be prepared to go early to get a seat. Princess Live! has about the same number of seats that Explorers had and you often had to go early to get a good seat in Explorers. However the setup in Princess Live! is not suitable for group activities such as trivia because other than the first row, chairs cannot be turned around to be usable for a team. When they are recording a Princess Live! activity, the cameras and cameramen can block many people's view of the activity.

Same goes for theater - it's small! - be prepared to go early for seating! Excellent production shows!! The Princess Theater on the Royal & Regal is larger than on the other Princess ships. Still, it can be very crowded since these ships can have more passengers than the other ships.

see above in red

My DH love the shell fish at the lunch buffets. Shrimps, squid, mussels, prawns, oysters and scallops. He just loves the stuff. I love the grilled veggies and meat when you enter ( (I think it is on the port side mid ship).

Make sure that you look at the whole buffet before you start to choose your food. The buffet goes from the mid ship elevators to the aft elevators.

Are you sure, I sailed the Grand last year out if SF and didn't have me thinking "yeah I need to sail the Grand again"

Will see how we feel after being on the Royal, doing the TA out of Barcelona in October. We have cruised all the newer Celebrity ships which are very similar in design.... feel something is missing from them. We have cruised the Grand when it first came into service out of Istanbul in l998 and at least 6 times since it moved to San Francisco... we enjoy the Grand a lot... mostly because of it outstanding service on board. It is a comfortable ship to get around, enjoy the aft pool, the main deck, the Crown Grill and we always book a mini suite.

I agree with the posts. I was on the Royal last April and have to say that the food was the best I've had on any Princess ship and the entertainment throughout the ship was the best as well. I don't have dinner in the buffets as I prefer to sit down and be served, did miss a promenade deck and even in a mini the balcony was teeny tiny. I also much prefer the Explorer's lounge over Princess Live.

I am cruising the Regal soon and it was nice to see so many positive comments. I love a large balcony and a smaller ship (I usually book the Caribe deck) so the small balcony is a big drawback for me. Though I prefer traditional late dining my traveling companion wants to do anytime dining. Can Regal/Royal veterans give me the lowdown? Thanks.

We've been on the Royal twice, for an EB TA in the spring and in the Caribbean in Jan. Some of the ship's outdoor features are more suited to the Caribbean: I loved the totally covered space aft of the Horizon Court--no direct sun, nice breeze, easy to get soft beverages. For a photographer, the many outside upper decks forward are great when the ship enters port. Enjoyed the expansive Horizon Court, as well, altho I found much of the "hot" food to be tepid at best. As others have noted the piazza is spectacular! On the downside, as others have noted: Princess Live an awkward space for trivia and it's too small. Ditto, the theater. I don't know that it's smaller than the one in the older ships, but certainly not enough seats for a ship this size--we stood for most of the performances as we never went there early enough for a seat (a problem in all the ships). The production shows were spectacular, though, because of all the technology they have for enhancements.

Are you sure, I sailed the Grand last year out if SF and didn't have me thinking "yeah I need to sail the Grand again"

This made me chuckle. We sail most often on the Grand because it's in our home port, however, I agree with you and it is my least favorite ship. We were on the Royal earlier this year and I loved it! Yes, the balcony was tiny, and we were in one of the "larger ones" on the seaview bar side, M422. I don't like buffets, so even though it's huge with a lot of variety, I just don't like the idea of passengers touching my food when they are trying to get theirs. I don't like them on any ship. I know people don't mean to touch it all, but it happens, and it kind of grosses me out.

I loved the Retreat pool and the cabanas, the Bellini bar was fun, we enjoyed Alfredo's with the expanded menu (I think I had the past there 4 times!). The piazza was beautiful and so big. Looking forward to the Royal coming to California. We don't usually go out of our way to cruise out of LA, but I will be making an exception for the Royal!

the sandwich bar in the Horizon Bistro where you can get a sandwich made

Hmmm... I didn't know that. All I saw on the Majestic Princess recently were pre-made sandwiches kept in a cold cabinet.

It wasn't like Holland America's typical buffet area where a dedicated sandwich maker is prominent.

Ron! A welcome visitor from the Celebrity board where we have talked during my Silhouette Review.

I haven't been on the Regal Princess yet but I will be on October 14. If you see me at a bar (bag of Canon cameras on shoulder is a giveaway) don't hesitate to say hi. I drink Guinness if you are asking.

I have been a critic of the design of the Royal Class but will see for myself. I will say, and my signature will testify, that Princess is a fine line to sail with. The Grand is maybe not their finest ship and a ship I avoid having an interest in. The Ruby is for me the best ship (as the Diamond has been banished to the Far East) but she may be overtaken by the Regal-time will tell.

You are guaranteed good food, service and entertainment and a good level of polish and professionalism when it comes to shore excursions. I love both Princess and Celebrity as you know.

Hope to see you onboard!

Norris

Hello Norris

Yes we are booked and ready to go.

Let's have a Guinness at Crooners embarkation evening my friend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmm... I didn't know that. All I saw on the Majestic Princess recently were pre-made sandwiches kept in a cold cabinet.

It wasn't like Holland America's typical buffet area where a dedicated sandwich maker is prominent.

Majestic is a different kettle of fish. It's the same class but not the same ship at all.

This made me chuckle. We sail most often on the Grand because it's in our home port, however, I agree with you and it is my least favorite ship.

I would sail Grand any day before ever setting foot on Island Princess again. I absolutely hated what they did to that ship. It was even more horrible to me as we had sailed Coral not too long before sailing on the hacked up Island. I agree that Grand isn't the most fabulous ship in the fleet but it is the one that sails from the port closest to us. I would love to have Ruby or Emerald or some other ship home ported in SF and have a bit more variety of sailing destinations out of SF as well.

We have sailed both Royal and Regal. Likes: the atrium with the different areas to enjoy (especially like the Bellini bar and Alfredo's), the buffet is the best of ANY ship we have been on (see list below) and we like the central Piazza activities. Can't comment on Sanctuary and its pool - as noted above - as we have never used that area...just can't justify the additional cost. Dislikes: the theater seats are a bit cramped with no place for your drink, the small balcony and the in-room TV (but that's not a biggie, as if we aren't on our balcony, we are out and around the ship).

Overall: would sail either again, if the schedule and itinerary were to our liking.

Thanks for all the replies and opinions on Regal, your input is valuable and appreciate you giving me insight on this beautiful ship.

Thrak, Hopefully one of these days Princess will retire the Grand and give us a great ship to sail out of SF. Royal will be in LA in a couple years so a good sign.

But like I said before my sailing days on the Grand are finished, yes great service and good crew but can't overlook the issues of the ship in particular age and maintenance.

Next year for me is the Bliss to Alaska and Mexico in October '18.

For a photographer, the many outside upper decks forward are great when the ship enters port.

As long as you do not want any photos looking forward on the Royal class. Only those with forward looking cabins at the front of the ship and those who pay for the Sanctuary can have a forward view.

I would sail Grand any day before ever setting foot on Island Princess again. I absolutely hated what they did to that ship. It was even more horrible to me as we had sailed Coral not too long before sailing on the hacked up Island. I agree that Grand isn't the most fabulous ship in the fleet but it is the one that sails from the port closest to us. I would love to have Ruby or Emerald or some other ship home ported in SF and have a bit more variety of sailing destinations out of SF as well.

Small thread hi-jack. We are Bay Area also. Just booked queen Victoria from SF to Sydney. Interiors quite reasonably priced for 21 day cruise. Plus only one airfare home. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi everyone,

We are on the Royal on September 20th in R735 which is an aft facing deluxe balcony.

Has anyone recently been in an aft facing room on either Royal or Regal that can tell me if the soot issue has been resolved? It's too late to switch now but would like to know what we're in for.

I asked my travel agent who said she called and they said no longer an issue but you know how that goes! I can't seem to find any RECENT reviews so if anyone has recently been in an aft facing balcony on either of those ships recently, I'd appreciate the feed back.

Thrak,

That worries me. We are scheduled on the Island in 2019. At least I'll stop complaining about the Grand if the Island is that bad, right?! [emoji19]

We really like the Ruby and Emerald also. Looking forward to the Royal being on the West Coast as well.

We've been on the Coral but is was a long time ago. I wouldn't be able to compare it fairly to the Island when we go in 2019 but given all the bad things I've heard, I'm prepared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk