Smaller ships making a comeback?

coaster

Maybe they figure worst case they can use two terminals in a row, like they do in Barcelona.

I believe that the old and new terminals will be at opposite ends of that stretch of terminals ships use in Miami (or did I read that map wrong), and not next to each other

We also did the Windjammer (Wind Star) in the Med. Loved it!! :hearteyes: Plus even smaller, one of those barge canal cruises up through France. Heavenly!

Keep planning a river cruise for 2019, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. All our cruise friends have done them except us and some will never go back.

Our Barefoot Windjammer was the BVI in 1989 on the Phantom. She went down a few years later during a hurricane with all crew lost at sea. They had ported and disembarked most crew and passengers. Then thought it best to weather out the storm at sea. The Captain had been our 1st Officer. RIP

I think Mariner is taking over for Enchantment sometime like May/June doing the 3/4. (I don't remember the exact dates, but it's around then).

From what I remember reading, they are going to add something like a 1000 parking spot garage along with the terminal. It needs it, parking there has been getting tighter as the ships got bigger. Plus NCL is also building a brand new terminal as well.

Definitely June, she heads straight to drydock once she arrives from Asia

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I believe that the old and new terminals will be at opposite ends of that stretch of terminals ships use in Miami (or did I read that map wrong), and not next to each other

I think Bob is talking about using two of the existing ones to load if there are issues with the new terminal. Once finished, the new terminal won't have any issues loading an Oasis ship

I think Bob is talking about using two of the existing ones to load if there are issues with the new terminal. Once finished, the new terminal won't have any issues loading an Oasis ship

Ahhhhh, got it. Thanks. Much like NCL does with the Escape in Miami now (using both terminals B & C)

Isn't Mariner going out of Miami on Friday and Monday, Symphony and Allure get Saturday and Sunday.

Mariner doesn't really need the new terminal, but I'm guessing she will leave from there.

I wonder what kind of parking they will be adding.

Will Icon be getting Allures old spot in PE? Don't they have to add CNG/LNG facilities for that,?

Yup, Enchantment going to be based in Galveston by late June.... Sigh...wish they would have sent her back to us, but not

in their plans. :( That gives Miami three ships and with Ft. Lauderdale so close with so many ships...many options down south.

New Orleans, and Galveston picking up ship...we are still stuck at the original two.

I am still hoping we will get a third ship here. Was so nice when we had EX here as a third ship for one season with those great nine night cruises. Was really hoping this was going to be the norm...especially when that ship was always sailing full for her brief stay here.

Edited by island lady

Keep planning a river cruise for 2019, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. All our cruise friends have done them except us and some will never go back.

Our Barefoot Windjammer was the BVI in 1989 on the Phantom. She went down a few years later during a hurricane with all crew lost at sea. They had ported and disembarked most crew and passengers. Then thought it best to weather out the storm at sea. The Captain had been our 1st Officer. RIP

Oh that's terrible!! :o I did not know about the Barefoot Windjammer and her lost crew. So sad. :(

We have only done one of those interior river cruises, was not a big ship at all (about 50 pax) and we really loved it.

Will be waiting to do another one when we can spend more time in Europe. Lots, and lots of things on that bucket

list of ours! :cool:

We have only done one of those interior river cruises, was not a big ship at all (about 50 pax) and we really loved it. Will be waiting to do another one when we can spend more time in Europe. Lots, and lots of things on that bucket list of ours! :cool:

I am in the "bucket list" planning stages for 2019 Octoberfest (actually our oldest son's BL) and then deciding if to river cruise/fly or TA back home. Times not an issue for us, but for him maybe.

I am in the "bucket list" planning stages for 2019 Octoberfest (actually our oldest son's BL) and then deciding if to river cruise/fly or TA back home. Times not an issue for us, but for him maybe.

My reason for waiting is my Avatar picture. Katie can come with us when we "cruise in the Land Yacht", but not on

the ships that we don't own. ;)

Until she passes into kitty cat heaven, we will enjoy our time with her more locally and just keep to shorter cruises.

Yup. I love Radiance Class and have zero desire to go much bigger. Definitely not behemoth class.

We tend to mix them up, but still prefer the smaller ships...and like you...Radiance class is our favorite, still being the

most booked of our cruises.

Yup. I love Radiance Class and have zero desire to go much bigger. Definitely not behemoth class.

Sail only on Radiance class last 5 yrs, though my kids/grand kids do the bigger "Amusement Parks". But I did go on others when they first came out as newest, biggest...

I prefer smaller ships such as Empress. Checking prices and Empress out of Tampa is getting $1150 for an inside and $1385 for a window on a 6 night cruise November 4th. Newer ships don't seem to command prices close to this. Are we seeing a shift to where the older and smaller capacity ships are getting a higher per diem than the newer and larger ships with all the gimmicks? Is Royal on the forefront to bring older ships back into the fleet?

Could be a supply and demand thing. The bigger ships are getting prohibitively expensive for many so perhaps there has bee a large move of people to the smaller with their lower prices. If too many people are doing that, RCI would no doubt begin the normal process of looking for that magic line - how high can we raise the price before people balk at it? With airfare going up, hotel prices climbing and (for many) the lower value of their currency compared to the USD, some are changing plans. I know we are. When I can land a condo in Florida for a month for about 30% the price of a 7 day cruise, I know where my focus is going to go. I love cruises but the price factor is truly becoming a factor.

An educated guess is that the Cuban government is charging higher port charges than what the market dictates. They have been out of the game for many years and to have new dollars coming into the local economy is another price factor.

Then the overnight stay plays into the necessity for overnight longshoremen and security of the pier, thus the higher price for that particular sailing. Higher the port charges to the company means higher price to the consumer.

Just my educated guess, needless to say, Cuba is not in my future.

Smitty

Besides port fees Cruise lines have a lot more paper work, logistics planning and costs involved with having their passengers meet the O.F.A.C. 12 categories that allow travel to Cuba.

bosco

Glad I went to Cuba earlier this year. Prices were much better on Carnival's Fathom line that has unfortunately been discontinued. Adonia was half the size of Empress and there were only 400 people on the ship with a capacity of over 700. Originally booked for Dominican Republic and Fathom changed itinerary and added Santiago de Cuba as a stop and protected our price. Line also paid for our Visa's and a our shore excursion in Cuba as some passengers apparently were upset about fewer days in Dominican Republic. $299 pp for the week with a balcony. Felt guilty as Adonia is a former Renaissance ship and the other former R-class ships are getting premium prices.

It seems like Cuba has recently become more popular with these Empress' prices. I believed Fathom pulled out too soon and could of advertised more. Other lines seem to be cashing in with their older ships now. I love Empress as she is the smallest mass market ship right now from the US mainland and we had a great 5 night cruise on her last year before Cuba sailings were announced.

When I can land a condo in Florida for a month for about 30% the price of a 7 day cruise, I know where my focus is going to go. I love cruises but the price factor is truly becoming a factor.

Totally true, and I agree with your observations on how pricing is going up.

Though for condo stays add in:

car rental

food/drink/etc. supplies in condo

laundry for linens, towels

restaurant visits

entertainment (have you seen the pricing at the theme parks now?:eek:)

Totally true, and I agree with your observations on how pricing is going up.

Though for condo stays add in:

car rental

food/drink/etc. supplies in condo

laundry for linens, towels

restaurant visits

entertainment (have you seen the pricing at the theme parks now?:eek:)

One month in our condo for 2 bedroom in season is around $2,400 plus 10% city tax.

Recently they acquired small ships for people who want a more intimate feel.

I like the relations between us and the crew and feel that we get "The Royal Experience"

The bigger ships have exclusive activities, more variety of shows, more eateries (even free), teen lounge which attract families.

Which I totally agree also with this... The smaller ships do not seem to have the Big Broadway Shows, but then I feel we get lost in the crowds when it comes to relations between crew and me

These are things I consider when choosing cruises which creates a real "conundrum" for me. lol

I like the relations between us and the crew and feel that we get "The Royal Experience"

Which I totally agree also with this... The smaller ships do not seem to have the Big Broadway Shows, but then I feel we get lost in the crowds when it comes to relations between crew and me

These are things I consider when choosing cruises which creates a real "conundrum" for me. lol

That's why we mix it up a bit...and do both...though still prefer the smaller ships.