The Excellent, the Good and the Not so good PG Reunion July 26 th

Emdee

Emdee,

I definitely have the flu. We are going on PG again next July. Thanks for the review. :)

What a pity you didnt come with us....you would have enjoyed the trip.

Besides other than you i have now met all the PG regulars from way, way back .....hrprofessor, motuislander, Wendy, Carduchi, cruisedreamer etc etc

Doug...its all in the attitude and expectations . I too have been and still go on mega ships. Each had its own experience and validity. Yet, I enjoy luxury lines like Crystal and Regent as well as Premium lines like Azamara.

It is dangerous reading my reviews because my perspective is of a repeater.

Also the French Chef is considered to be excellent.

Plenty of local fish...moonfish ..dont miss the demo, tuna, mahi mahi. Lobster is Canadian. I believe scallops are local. I am allergic to fish of the tuna family plus a number of other things, have a limited digestive tolerance for beef , only eat the lamb I bring home from the farm myself...so yes i enjoy my Chicken Parm.

Very interested in the Moonfish demo on Huahine. I hope we make it back in time as we plan on doing Marc's motu picnic excursion. My favorite seafood meal was right before our cruise in Alaska at a restaurant in Anchorage having Halibut cheeks while my Wife enjoyed Copper River Salmon(the best Salmon we think). I wonder if I can request Moonfish cheeks(yn).

Our last cruise was a TA on the Celebrity Reflection in a full suite, our first real splurge for a vacation. But the food was excellent(for a cruise ship) as we could eat unlimited specialty dining and we had the suite restaurant, Luminae, which was also very good. We so enjoyed stepping up our vacation to a suite on Celebrity that when we got home, I started looking at where we could go next and here we are splurging again! Although, I went with all of the vets recommendations and booked a deck 4 cabin to save on the room. I may try to upgrade after final payment if I can strike the right deal.

Doug

Very interested in the Moonfish demo on Huahine. I hope we make it back in time as we plan on doing Marc's motu picnic excursion. My favorite seafood meal was right before our cruise in Alaska at a restaurant in Anchorage having Halibut cheeks while my Wife enjoyed Copper River Salmon(the best Salmon we think). I wonder if I can request Moonfish cheeks(yn).

Our last cruise was a TA on the Celebrity Reflection in a full suite, our first real splurge for a vacation. But the food was excellent(for a cruise ship) as we could eat unlimited specialty dining and we had the suite restaurant, Luminae, which was also very good. We so enjoyed stepping up our vacation to a suite on Celebrity that when we got home, I started looking at where we could go next and here we are splurging again! Although, I went with all of the vets recommendations and booked a deck 4 cabin to save on the room. I may try to upgrade after final payment if I can strike the right deal.

Doug

We were on Marc's excursion and were able to watch both the moonfish demo and the children of Huahine. You wont have time to lounge around but it is possible.

I havent been on Celebrity for many, many years. May try it sometime. I love TAs though and in 2019 i have booked a TA to Europe on Regent in March and then fly toto do a 9 day med and stay onboard for another TA on Crystal. I couldnt resist going to Europe without flying.

If you look at pictures of large moonfish, they don't look like they have much in the way of cheeks! ;)

We snorkelled with small moonfish a few years back at a coral nursery off the IC in Bora Bora. It was tough to eat this fish after that, but I managed, lol!

They may not, but if I can make it to the presentation I thought I might ask the crew member(probably the sous chef) that is filleting it. We have a higher end supermarket called Bristol Farms that I was there a few years ago and the butcher indicated I had to try Halibut cheeks. We did and loved them and I had not seen them since until we were at this restaurant in Anchorage, and even though the Copper River Salmon had just hit the menu's I had to have the cheeks again.

They were fabulous! So, I am curious on the Moon Fish being a large, but skinny fish as to the cheeks. Are they a delicacy as they are on the Halibut?

Can't hurt to ask.

Doug

What a pity you didnt come with us....you would have enjoyed the trip.

Besides other than you i have now met all the PG regulars from way, way back .....hrprofessor, motuislander, Wendy, Carduchi, cruisedreamer etc etc

If I were to guess, I bet next July will not be our last cruise on PG. :D

They were fabulous! So, I am curious on the Moon Fish being a large, but skinny fish as to the cheeks. Are they a delicacy as they are on the Halibut?

Can't hurt to ask.

Doug

Not really. Moonfish is called Opah here in Hawaii and is commercially fished in the area. It just isn't as widely known or available as halibut may be.

Not really. Moonfish is called Opah here in Hawaii and is commercially fished in the area. It just isn't as widely known or available as halibut may be.

OK, I have had Opah. We have a restaurant close by that is called Opah's and of course serves Opah. I do want to see the filleting demo and have it for dinner even if there are no cheeks like on a Halibut.:(

Thanks, I wondered why I had never heard of a Moon Fish before.

Doug

OK, I have had Opah. We have a restaurant close by that is called Opah's and of course serves Opah. I do want to see the filleting demo and have it for dinner even if there are no cheeks like on a Halibut.:(

Thanks, I wondered why I had never heard of a Moon Fish before.

Doug

Oh, but Opah DOES have cheeks. They are fairly dark red but cook up white in our experience. Ask the chef to prepare some for you.

Thanks for the great information.We have just booked our first PG cruises doing back to back cruises end of Feb and March 2018 10/11 days. previous post answered my concern regarding shade around the pool and the drift snorkeling concerns were answered on another post. we have sailed on crystal, regent and azamara and are really looking fwd. to PG. Being from Canada need a good break from the winter. Any suggestions of a good hotel in Bora Bora for a couple of days

Thanks for the great information.We have just booked our first PG cruises doing back to back cruises end of Feb and March 2018 10/11 days. previous post answered my concern regarding shade around the pool and the drift snorkeling concerns were answered on another post. we have sailed on crystal, regent and azamara and are really looking fwd. to PG. Being from Canada need a good break from the winter. Any suggestions of a good hotel in Bora Bora for a couple of days

Depends on your budget, desires and expectations. Personally I like the IC Le Moana. Has a more Polynesian vibe, close to some stores and other places to eat, close to kayak over behind the Sofitel Motu for some great snorkeling. Not cheap but less expensive than many.

Some of my pictures of this wonderful resort ...

Le%20Moana%203%20%282%20of%203%29-X2.jpg

Le%20Moana%202%20%284%20of%207%29-X2.jpg

IMG_0424z-X2.jpg

le%20Moana%20patio%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Depends on your budget, desires and expectations. Personally I like the IC Le Moana. Has a more Polynesian vibe, close to some stores and other places to eat, close to kayak over behind the Sofitel Motu for some great snorkeling. Not cheap but less expensive than many.

Some of my pictures of this wonderful resort ...

Le%20Moana%202%20%284%20of%207%29-X2.jpg

IMG_0424z-X2.jpg

le%20Moana%20patio%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Get an IHG credit card if you live in the USA and stay for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will find the service very, very good. Certainly comparable to those lines. A lot of the PG staff had their origins in Regent so very similar to the old Regent style. Food is comparable to Azamara's main dining room. Though to be frank we have had food misses on all three lines. Have a great cruise. Love b2bs.

Emdee or Kahuna, a bit of an aside--any restrictions on tablets in carry-on luggage at LAX?

We too had lap tops and tablets no restrictions so far. Dont know what I would do without my ipad on long flights!

You will find the service very, very good. Certainly comparable to those lines. A lot of the PG staff had their origins in Regent so very similar to the old Regent style. Food is comparable to Azamara's main dining room. Though to be frank we have had food misses on all three lines. Have a great cruise. Love b2bs.

thanks for the comments. We always felt the same way when it came to dinning regardless of the cruise line and its rating. our biggest problem now is a pre hotel received some great suggestions from members but my spouse and I seem to be at odds. I want a property where I can experience some local food she just wants a property that has everything on site and she does not have to leave. Selecting the cruise was the easy part:)

thanks for the comments. We always felt the same way when it came to dinning regardless of the cruise line and its rating. our biggest problem now is a pre hotel received some great suggestions from members but my spouse and I seem to be at odds. I want a property where I can experience some local food she just wants a property that has everything on site and she does not have to leave. Selecting the cruise was the easy part:)

Hilton Moorea is well located for local foods. My favourite Sofitel Moorea is more isolated. We took the Breakfast and dinner pkg but if you like you can omit the dinner and then can either dine on site or outside.

The downside of the Moana in Bora Bora is it apparently gets more wind. I heard this from the Thalasso management. If you are thinking of the resorts on the Motus Four seasons for food and deeper water. Thalasso for view and shallower lagoon. You can bundle your Thalasso or Moana booking with your PG cruise.

Would highly recommend the Air France business class. Very comfortable in newer style flatbeds ie similar to Cathay and not old style like Air Canada and South African.

We went down biz and took the economy seats with with extra charge for exit row for our day flight return.

Edited by Emdee

If your going to spend the type of money to stay at the Four Seasons or the the Thalasso I would suggest you look closely at the Le Tahaa Resort on Tahaa. Polynesian feel, excellent food with the ability to take the boat shuttle over to the main island for other eating possibilities. Some of the best snorkeling in all of Polynesian sits right next to the resort. Same location as the drift snorkel that is available while you visit Motu Mahana. This location is my BH's favorite place to enjoy when we go to FP.

The Moana is a favorite as it has a great Polynesian feel, good snorkeling close by, close stores and cafes for options .... the wind has never been an issue when we have visited this resort. Great resort at a lower price than the motu resorts ;)

Hilton Moorea has a lovely setting but there are only a few food options within walking distance though two are good places. Good snorkeling at the Hilton Moorea. Sofitel is where we spent our honeymoon so we love it but as mentioned ... isolated.

Nice thing about forums you get different takes from people who have been there, veterans have their own personal favorites :)

We've stayed at all four the major resorts on Moorea and frankly the Hilton is our #1

If your going to spend the type of money to stay at the Four Seasons or the the Thalasso I would suggest you look closely at the Le Tahaa Resort on Tahaa. Polynesian feel, excellent food with the ability to take the boat shuttle over to the main island for other eating possibilities. Some of the best snorkeling in all of Polynesian sits right next to the resort. Same location as the drift snorkel that is available while you visit Motu Mahana. This location is my BH's favorite place to enjoy when we go to FP.

The Moana is a favorite as it has a great Polynesian feel, good snorkeling close by, close stores and cafes for options .... the wind has never been an issue when we have visited this resort. Great resort at a lower price than the motu resorts ;)

Hilton Moorea has a lovely setting but there are only a few food options within walking distance though two are good places. Good snorkeling at the Hilton Moorea. Sofitel is where we spent our honeymoon so we love it but as mentioned ... isolated.

Nice thing about forums you get different takes from people who have been there, veterans have their own personal favorites :)

We've stayed at all four the major resorts on Moorea and frankly the Hilton is our #1

I was happy we were at the Thalasso after seeing the Moana. Though the beach looked nice the waves were not small and from what I hear the Bungalows are not half as nice as the Thalasso. I preferred the relative isolation of the Thalasso. Our friend Elie who came on the Reunion stayed at the Four Seasons and loved it. After the expense of a b2b PG cruise and travel from Canada it sometimes makes sense to throw a little more into the kitty to have the special experience. That has been our travel philosophy.

Have you stayed at Le Tahaa recently? I have never been there but heard that the resort is on the outs and the newer smaller resort that PG is offering now is the way to go....all hearsay as I havent been on either.

Edited by Emdee

I was happy we were at the Thalasso after seeing the Moana. Though the beach looked nice the waves were not small and from what I hear the Bungalows are not half as nice as the Thalasso. I preferred the relative isolation of the Thalasso. Our friend Elie who came on the Reunion stayed at the Four Seasons and loved it. After the expense of a b2b PG cruise and travel from Canada it sometimes makes sense to throw a little more into the kitty to have the special experience. That has been our travel philosophy.

Have you stayed at Le Tahaa recently? I have never been there but heard that the resort is on the outs and the newer smaller resort that PG is offering now is the way to go....all hearsay as I havent been on either.

I been through Le Tahaa several times. My BH wants to stay there for our next trip. All we read from others is how fantastic it is.

I been through Le Tahaa several times. My BH wants to stay there for our next trip. All we read from others is how fantastic it is.

We just staying at the Thalasso and love the property. It is a little isolated, unless you wish to take their boat to the Moana, but we throughly enjoyed our 3 days and wished we had more. We also had the breakfast and dinner package, so that we didn't need to leave the resort. Lov d spending time in the lagoon and the beach. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums