Platinum Studio

cormike1

I see up near the top is the "Platinum Studio" What is this....I can't find any write-ups about it? Is it a place for the Platinum members to go to for before dinner drinks and get-togethers?

We saw the Platinum Studio on the Caribbean Princess this past summer. It is setup in the old cyber-golf space and is a traditional portrait studio. It seems that they specialize in high-end black and white portraits. The examples that were provided were very well done. I don't know the pricing because we weren't interested...

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
I see up near the top is the "Platinum Studio" What is this....I can't find any write-ups about it? Is it a place for the Platinum members to go to for before dinner drinks and get-togethers?[/quote

Platinum Studio does Black and White Portraits. We got them for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Very beautiful photos.

ITs not something you get every cruise or every year.

We felt it was a bit much, but where we live we could never get photos like this. Studio is up on deck 19. 6 photos cost us $599.00. They are done on a hard plastic back, like wrap around canvas and are specially delivered to your home.

• 2 years later...

My wife and I just returned from an Alaska cruise on Princess. We decided to do the Platinum Studio photograph session not knowing the costs. After the session and reviewing the photographs (black and white) we were impressed with the quality and results of the photo shoot. As stated in one of the previous posts, the photos are quite expensive and depending on the package you choose and the number of the photographs it will end up costing you several thousands of dollars.

We were told that we would receive the package in 8 to 10 weeks and that due to the cost the photos would arrive in a wooden crush proof box.

The photos arrived today (2 weeks after we returned from the cruise) the package arrived. The package was not a wooden container but several cardboard boxes. All the photos arrived in good shape but after laying out and inspecting the photos, the largest (24X30 B&W) had major air bubbles (apparently from the photographic material being applied to the polystyrene backing) and several dimples from dust particles under the applied photograph.

After a phone call to Princess Cruise Lines and being given the name and email of the company who does the actual package, I emailed the lady and am now waiting for a response to how the issues is going to be corrected.

This package cost almost as much as the cruise and I definitely expected a lot mot quality control. When this is resolved I will post again the outcome.

Knowing what it was from previous cruises my wife wanted a professional quality photo of us and last year we had a Platinum photo sitting. We had a bunch of poses and when we did the review my wife wanted only one (she had decided to only pick one photo in advance). They do their best to sell a multi-photo package, and, there are going to be several pretty good photos, so be prepared if you only want one. We received the photo after about three weeks or so. There was a bit of a flash reflection on my wife's glasses and we did call and express our concern about that. No problem, they sent us another print with the flash reflection "photo shopped" out. High priced? Maybe or maybe not. The pro quality portrait and a nice memory made it worthwhile. Not much more than a land based professional studio as far as cost.

The photo is now framed and hanging in our family room. Looks great.

YMMV.

Knowing what it was from previous cruises my wife wanted a professional quality photo of us and last year we had a Platinum photo sitting. We had a bunch of poses and when we did the review my wife wanted only one (she had decided to only pick one photo in advance).

Our single photo cost $199.

The pricing of the Platinum Studio is very much on par with what you pay at a land-based photography studio. (Not one in a shopping mall or JC Penny). We did family portraits there once and paid about what we paid last year for our daughter's senior year portrait shoot.

Not knowing what we were getting into, we were invited to check out the Platinum Studio on the Sapphire Princess on our southbound Alaska cruise. We decided to go through the photo shoot and when we reviewed the 100+ photos taken, we absolutely loved them. There is something special about black and white photography! We were excited about purchasing some of them and then we got hit with the cost. At first, my wife and I looked at each other and were shocked at the prices. But we loved many of the photos and they really captured the love that we have for each other (we are celebrating our 37th anniversary this January on our 15-day Hawaii cruise) so we took a night to sleep on it. We decided to purchase something like 8 photos and the cd that had all of the photos taken, set to music. We actually got a total of 3 cds and were able to give a couple for parents. We paid about $1100 total. We had not planned to spend that much money but we figured this would be a once in a lifetime purchase and we are not disappointed that we did. We have all of our 8 photos framed and people that see them just love them. And every once in a while, we pop in the cd and watch as all 100+ photos are displayed with beautiful music in the background.

Yes, it is expensive but black and white photography is special (at least in our opinion) and it was worth every penny. Won't ever do it again, but we have very fond memories of our experience with the photo shoot and the purchase. The photographer was amazing and treated us like a very special couple. Probably the best customer service we have ever experienced. She had a way of posing us that just fit perfect for us. I think her initial interview with us to learn about us was key to her success in determining the best poses for us.

If you can afford it, it is worth the cost for the experience and the photos.

We did this a few years ago too. It was one of those milestone birthdays for the hubs and I had just graduated from college (returned in my 40s). It was indeed pricey, but I think it was worth it. We got a medium-sized package and custom framed them. I'll probably never get him to do it again, so it was worth every penny. I think black and white is so classic.

Not knowing what we were getting into, we were invited to check out the Platinum Studio on the Sapphire Princess on our southbound Alaska cruise. We decided to go through the photo shoot and when we reviewed the 100+ photos taken, we absolutely loved them. There is something special about black and white photography! We were excited about purchasing some of them and then we got hit with the cost. At first, my wife and I looked at each other and were shocked at the prices. But we loved many of the photos and they really captured the love that we have for each other (we are celebrating our 37th anniversary this January on our 15-day Hawaii cruise) so we took a night to sleep on it. We decided to purchase something like 8 photos and the cd that had all of the photos taken, set to music. We actually got a total of 3 cds and were able to give a couple for parents. We paid about $1100 total. We had not planned to spend that much money but we figured this would be a once in a lifetime purchase and we are not disappointed that we did. We have all of our 8 photos framed and people that see them just love them. And every once in a while, we pop in the cd and watch as all 100+ photos are displayed with beautiful music in the background.

Yes, it is expensive but black and white photography is special (at least in our opinion) and it was worth every penny. Won't ever do it again, but we have very fond memories of our experience with the photo shoot and the purchase. The photographer was amazing and treated us like a very special couple. Probably the best customer service we have ever experienced. She had a way of posing us that just fit perfect for us. I think her initial interview with us to learn about us was key to her success in determining the best poses for us.

If you can afford it, it is worth the cost for the experience and the photos.

We were also (aggressively) convinced about 4 years ago by the photographer at the Caribbean Princess for a photo session at the Platinum studio. We were 7, including 2 grandsons. So many poses, individual and groups. The black & white photos turned out great. we paid $700plus for the photos and a CD. A bit pricey for us. We were very reluctant at first but to this day, has never regretted doing it.

My wife and I just returned from an Alaska cruise on Princess. We decided to do the Platinum Studio photograph session not knowing the costs. After the session and reviewing the photographs (black and white) we were impressed with the quality and results of the photo shoot. As stated in one of the previous posts, the photos are quite expensive and depending on the package you choose and the number of the photographs it will end up costing you several thousands of dollars.

We were told that we would receive the package in 8 to 10 weeks and that due to the cost the photos would arrive in a wooden crush proof box.

The photos arrived today (2 weeks after we returned from the cruise) the package arrived. The package was not a wooden container but several cardboard boxes. All the photos arrived in good shape but after laying out and inspecting the photos, the largest (24X30 B&W) had major air bubbles (apparently from the photographic material being applied to the polystyrene backing) and several dimples from dust particles under the applied photograph.

After a phone call to Princess Cruise Lines and being given the name and email of the company who does the actual package, I emailed the lady and am now waiting for a response to how the issues is going to be corrected.

This package cost almost as much as the cruise and I definitely expected a lot mot quality control. When this is resolved I will post again the outcome.

Update:

The contact provided by Princess Cruise Lines promptly resolved the issue with the defective photo by sending us another photo. I was impressed with the professionalism and how courteous she was. Thanks Princess Cruise Lines.

On the Regal Princess last year, they held Photography workshops in the Platinum Studio. I always enjoy a photography class or workshop and attended. (As has been mentioned, it is a speciality portrait photography studio emphasizing black and white.) There was some good information about portrait photography and unusual compositions and subject positioning. The Platinum Studio photographers really like portraits shot at an angle.

A similar worksop was not offered on the Caribbean Princess this year.

I agree with everything said above - the images are definitely better than the "general" ship's photographers, though black & white does hide a lot of the color control issues we see in the general ship photography results (often rather pink, and skin tones are rarely "right" if even "good"). It's pricey, but not something we do often (every 3-5 years at this point; we've gone twice I think), and there's something to be said for planning it to happen on formal day, so you're already dressed up, etc.

Note that print size is a major factor in the pricing.

• 11 months later...

Had photos taken on Caribbean Princess in May. Have NEVER had so many pictures turn out so well—not even at our wedding. Were celebrating 30th Anniversary so bought the best 6 pics (plus got one free from discount book in cabin). Expensive (about $800.00, but extraordinary and worth it. Even had people on board having daughters hs pics taken there—because they were SO good. Well worth it for really good pics.