Not allowed into the Studio Lounge

FLchick3

I am not complaining in any way. I am only curious about others experience:

I was in a balcony cabin on the Getaway.

The Solo Cruise Director said the previous cruise all solos were allowed into the lounge and there has been complaints. The lounge is tiny on Getaway, but I still find that hard to believe. This was my first solo cruise and I wanted to see how it went without asking for anything extra. However, by the end of the cruise, not having access to the “white board” was an issue. Also – the lounge was not open one hour a day as I was lead to believe it would be. All in all, I wasn’t thrilled with the way things were structured, but as the Solo Cruise Director did schedule a dinner each night…..I didn’t want to push the access issue and request my card be coded to allow me access.

What has your experience been with the Epic, Breakaway or Getaway when you did not book a Studio Cabin?

I was on the NCL EPIC early this year, while I was traveling solo I had an inside cabin, not a solo cabin.

I did not have my card changed for access but once I told the solo director that I was travelling solo only - I was let into the solo lounge and yes the White Board was very useful to see what the other solos were doing.

Interestingly, there was a woman also traveling solo who had a balcony cabin and she also was let in.

I used that lounge a lot and while there were time that I would consider it full, it was never so crowded that people had any problems that I could see. In-fact the lounge was two levels and I never saw the second level needed to be used because of the number of people.

As pointed out, GetAway may be a smaller lounge so I could see that maybe there were too many people wanting to use the lounge there.

The only problem I saw on the EPIC is that there was one girl who was travelling in a solo cabin but the other members of her family were also on the cruise boat elsewhere. Those family members thought that since she could enter the lounge that they could enter with her and the kids would raid the cookies and the parents/uncle/aunt would raid the coffee/tea. So one solo was letting six(6) other people into the lounge.

They were told on I think the third day of the cruise not to enter the lounge.

If too many of these experiences are happening I am not surprised they are tightening up the rules.

Ah ha!

The Social Cruise Director did mention children taking cookies.....so on the cruise before me someone must have been letting children in.

How did you get in without changing your card? Was the door open?

During the day all doors to the lounge would be locked.

I got in because once the Solo Director let me in I would talk to all the people I met so anytime later if the cruise director was not there some other solo cruiser would let me in. Also late at night I would find on the upper level the doors to the lounge was not locked so anytime after about 10-11 PM I could enter the solo cabin area and then the lounge.

Please, there were a few time I was unable to get into the lounge because there was no-one there and all the doors were locked. But on those few occasions it did not matter because it was a big ship and there always was somewhere to go where people were around but you did not have to join in a group.

The lounge area near the Piano Bar was a great spot, also the Movie under the Stars in the back of the ship. I also watched the movies being shown in the lobby mid-ship but it was not as nice as the back.

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! If it is late at night and you are feeling a little lonely do not walk by the Sweet-Spot. The Black Forest Cake kept talking to me! It kept saying 'Eat me, eat me'. I finally had to get it and a milkshake made with real ice cream, then take it to the lounge at the Piano Bar to shut it. It was GOOOD!

PS. I just looked at the Youtube tour of the GetAway Solo Lounge and it is a lot smaller than the one on the EPIC. If the same amount of solos were in there that I saw on the EPIC then people would be stepping on each other's toes. I can see why they had to tighten the rules.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger
Added PS.

The first time on the Epic, I was in a balcony and was able to get in during other hours because I had already met several solos who let me in.

The second time on the Epic, I was in a Studio and had no problems of course. I approached a couple in the Lounge one day and I found out they were married and staying in a balcony. Another time, I saw teens in the Lounge getting cookies and I figured they could not be travelling as solos. LOL. So I guess there is a problem where non-solos are taking advantage of the situation and NCL is trying to take control.

Since I really enjoy the Lounge and see it as a good place to hangout for social activity, I pretty much have decided to book only Studios so I can have 24/7 access. Next year, I will be on the Breakaway, then Escape and again on Breakaway so I am booked in Studios.

Edited by IrieBajan54

Earl – I agree, the movies in Spice H20 were awesome! Well…..the Breakaway has about 50 Studios vs. the Epic has about 100 Studios (my numbers are not exact!)…..so while it was much smaller, I would find it surprising if both levels filled up.

Howard – Thank you for your sympathy, but I’m not upset and fully expected it could happen. Technically the Lounge is for Studio Cabin people. I spend my days in real life “fighting the system” and I just wasn’t going down to Guest Services to “fight” for a change in access on my card.

That being said, I had a $250 coupon for Norwegian I had to use, it was a good experience overall, we did have social dinners and the ship was awesome…..but I think I’ll be moving back to RCCL. I’ve cruised with them once so far and I think they are a better fit for me.

Everyone has their fit : )

I had no problem lasttime on the breakaway anytime during the day-

seems absurb and I would be fuming if this happened to me and I am sorry this happened to you.

And as a solo in a studio who paid for the use of the lounge, I would be fuming if people who did not felt they should be able to enter it whenever they wanted to. Follow the rules and attend the daily meeting or pay for a studio.

And as a solo in a studio who paid for the am the e of the lounge, I would be fuming if people who did not felt they should be able to enter it whenever they wanted to. Follow the rules and attend the daily meeting or pay for a studio.

I actually paid for a studio and was then upgraded to a balcony and since it was left open and was entitled to go the solo gathering I dont see how. I was breaking any rules.

I actually paid for a studio and was then upgraded to a balcony and since it was left open and was entitled to go the solo gathering I dont see how. I was breaking any rules.

By accepting the upgrade you no longer were in a studio and no longer entitled to 24 hour admittance in the lounge. You were entitled to go to the solo gathering each evening. The door should not be "left open"; this is why people who should not be there ARE there.

By accepting the upgrade you no longer were in a studio and no longer entitled to 24 hour admittance in the lounge. You were entitled to go to the solo gathering each evening. The door should not be "left open"; this is why people who should not be there ARE there.

As there are very small amount of studio, there is no way to fit all the solos, so I feel those that are true solos, even if not in a studio cabin should get a card with an access to the studio lounge. But yes, those who are not sailing solo, should not be allowed, especially families with kids. That's is definitely not a place for them. I totally agree with you , doors should not be left open. That is why they should give access card to ONLY solo travelers.

I mean why do a solo lounge and not let solo cruisers in? Its silly. Its a wonderful thing that they did a solo lounge, it can bring people together and not only during evening get together. So why not let all solos enjoy it?

Edited by cruiseelady

As there are very small amount of studio, there is no way to fit all the solos, so I feel those that are true solos, even if not in a studio cabin should get a card with an access to the studio lounge. But yes, those who are not sailing solo, should not be allowed, especially families with kids. That's is definitely not a place for them. I totally agree with you , doors should not be left open. That is why they should give access card to ONLY solo travelers.

I mean why do a solo lounge and not let solo cruisers in? Its silly. Its a wonderful thing that they did a solo lounge, it can bring people together and not only during evening get together. So why not let all solos enjoy it?

Solos can enjoy meeting other solos at the appointed hour. The lounge was set up for the studios, not for all access all the time for all solos. It's a perk that is paid for with booking a studio, like all that comes with booking the Haven.

I agree with you cruiselady 100 percent. Met a lot of friendly people in the lounge regardless of whether they were in studios or not. most people really just used it for the meeting hour. I spent most of my time at spice h20 during the day.

And as a solo in a studio who paid for the use of the lounge, I would be fuming if people who did not felt they should be able to enter it whenever they wanted to. Follow the rules and attend the daily meeting or pay for a studio.

I agree. The only reason I book a studio when the price is less than an inside are the snacks and free coffee machine near by. That is what I pay for when I book a studio and has nothing to do with cruising solo or not. When I stay in a stateroom outside the studio complex there is no reason why I should enjoy those perks I did not pay for.

I agree. The only reason I book a studio when the price is less than an inside are the snacks and free coffee machine near by. That is what I pay for when I book a studio and has nothing to do with cruising solo or not. When I stay in a stateroom outside the studio complex there is no reason why I should enjoy those perks I did not pay for.

Exactly. There are caveats with booking a studio. It's not based on what cruisers think or feel should be the way it should work. O'Sheehan's is open 24/7 for snacks. The lounge, and meeting other solos there, is a daily, hourly, entry for non-studio solos.

Apart from that there is no definition of solo anyway. What about the 20 year old with his parents. The group of people who met before the cruise on Facebook. The two co-workers cruising together just because of the supplement.

Why should someone get the access programmed and some not.

Apart from that there is no definition of solo anyway. What about the 20 year old with his parents. The group of people who met before the cruise on Facebook. The two co-workers cruising together just because of the supplement.

Why should someone get the access programmed and some not.

NCL needs to clarify the lounge rules and then let all their guest relations staff, and us, know how the perk works. And enforce whatever the rules are.

NCL needs to clarify the lounge rules and then let all their guest relations staff, and us, know how the perk works. And enforce whatever the rules are.

I agree and disagree with some of the statements made earlier about which solo travelers can use the lounge. But in the long run the rules needed to be clearly stated by NCL about who is allowed in.

One thing is clear, people who are not travelling solo should not be let in, no families, no kids and it seems unlikely that there are any teenagers who are travelling solo.

While harsh, if the rule becomes only solos who book a studio cabin is let into the lounge I will understand. But for people like me who may get an inside cabin or if I am in the money a balcony one there really needs to be a white board available somewhere so us outside solos can also organize get-togethers.

Hi Everyone,

Didn’t mean to start an uproar :)

I tend to agree with this:

However, I agree that NCL needs to make a firm decision one way or the other. It seems on some cruises all solos are allowed in and on other cruises they are not.

For me, I wasn’t interested in snacks and coffee…..but it would have been nice to have access to the white board to locate others for excursions etc.

For some (most?) singles alone in an outside, balcony, suite.....the cost is more than the Studio, so I'm not sure cost comes into play like it does for the Haven.

Edited by FLchick3

While harsh, if the rule becomes only solos who book a studio cabin is let into the lounge I will understand. But for people like me who may get an inside cabin or if I am in the money a balcony one there really needs to be a white board available somewhere so us outside solos can also organize get-togethers.

Yes, I completely agree! I hope NCL reads this thread! :)

It was a great concept to do a studio lounge and kudos to them of thinking about it and doing it, but it seems they haven't thought things through. I mean if you are going to do it, don't do it half way. The idea wasn't executed well. They should have in the very beginning made it available to all solo passengers.

Yes I agree about the white board, even access to it would be a big plus.

Edited by cruiseelady

Cruiseelady – I remember when the first Studio Lounge on the Epic opened. I believe I read there was no Solo Cruise Director and no daily dinners for all solos. So they have made great improvements from then…..but I completely agree…..they need to iron out the remaining kinks.

They advertise in the daily's that the solo get together is open to everyone- that is pretty much the only time I go in there.

When I went in 2013 I found it harder to get in for the solo gathering due to them keeping the doors more locked, last year it was easier.

I don't see though why people are so bent out of shape over who is in there vs. who isn't. It's not like most people spend the whole day inside in the studio lounge.

However, some family tried to bring their children in there and the director kicked them out during the get together. That was different as they were CLEARLY not solo travelers.

Next year I am going back to a Studio on the Escape- I am glad they are increasing the number of them and since it is a new ship I will spend even less time in my cabin.

Maybe they should have built some of the studios with balconies?? i.e. RCCL- they could have made them rectangular

Hi all!

I've stayed in the Epic studio cabins 3 times & the Getaway once & think since it is called the "Studio Lounge" that's who should be using it, people in the studio cabins.

OTOH I think letting SOLOS ie 1 person (no friends or family members), in other type cabins in for the hourly meeting is fine.

Looking forward to sailing the Epic again in 95 days!

~ Jo ~ :)