Taking wine on board

I agree...asking on the board for the cruise line involved would be a good thing. Most cruise lines I would say no to bringing the glasses- you can get glasses many places on the ship. The bottle opening is a maybe...depends on the cruise line.

• 3 weeks later...

There are always glasses in the cabin, but if you want the full wine experience, just buy some plastic wine glasses at the dollar store. I've done this in the past and just left them behind because hey...they're $1!!. There are also some decent wines now that have a screw top, like flip flop wines, so you won't need a cork screw.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda forgot about corkscrew when we took a bottle on. I just walked into one the bars that wasn't super busy and asked if I could 'borrow' a corkscrew, told him I would bring it right back. But he just gave me plastic ship branded one and told me I could have it. For glasses, I would just stop in the bar to ask for and if they were busy, I would just grab 2 clean glasses off the counter stock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We took wines to Carnival, and ice, glasses are available ... We had the twist top kind of bottle so didn't need a bottle opener. But, everything is available, they will make sure you have a great time while on board!

Have fun! We had a blast ;)

• 2 weeks later...
There are always glasses in the cabin, but if you want the full wine experience, just buy some plastic wine glasses at the dollar store. I've done this in the past and just left them behind because hey...they're $1!!. There are also some decent wines now that have a screw top, like flip flop wines, so you won't need a cork screw.

Plastic wine glasses for the full wine experience??? I really have to disagree about that! For me plastic glasses can't give full wine experience.

No need to bring glasses on a cruise.

We love to have a glass of Champagne in our hotelroom before we shall go on a cruise so we buy real Champagne glasses at second hand and leave them in the room.

I'll be on the Ruby Princess soon. Many friends are frequent cruises and they've assured me there are wine glasses to be had, either in cabin or ask steward. One friend suggested for best quality wine glass (good stemware), buy a glass of wine in the wine bar and stroll out with it, returning it to that bar later, of course! Another said no, the bar will not let you walk out, will instead offer to pour it into a standard wine glass. So! We'll see. I do prefer drinking out of a good Riedel or similar stemmed wine glass.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll be on the Ruby Princess soon. Many friends are frequent cruises and they've assured me there are wine glasses to be had, either in cabin or ask steward. One friend suggested for best quality wine glass (good stemware), buy a glass of wine in the wine bar and stroll out with it, returning it to that bar later, of course! Another said no, the bar will not let you walk out, will instead offer to pour it into a standard wine glass. So! We'll see. I do prefer drinking out of a good Riedel or similar stemmed wine glass.

your friends are both right. you *may* be able to do this, but you may get stopped. I've been able to leave a wine bar with a good glass a few times, but I've also been stopped and asked to pour it into the standard ship wine glass.

it's going to depend on how on top of things the staff are at that bar and if you can slip away unnoticed or not.

• 2 weeks later...
On Holland American you are allowed one bottle per person. Apparently there is an $18.00 corkage fee. They do check the stuff that is brought on board at every port.

Wow ... corkage fee of $18!!!... Terrible ... I'm glad we didn't have to do that at Carnival :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Cunard doesn't limit the amount you can bring on board. Corkage ($20) charged in dining rooms but not if you drink in cabin. We have taken good wine and it has worked out a lot cheaper even with corkage. Will be doing same again this summer.

• 3 months later...
RCCL allows 2 bottles of wine per person to be brought on board. No corkage fees.

Corkage fee is back, but several reports of people not being charged.

But to avoid being charged, open the bottle in your cabin, carry glass of wine to dinner.

• 1 month later...
Corkage fee is back, but several reports of people not being charged.

But to avoid being charged, open the bottle in your cabin, carry glass of wine to dinner.

This is what I plan to do for our upcoming cruise on Royal..Also another tip regarding wine or champaign in your cabin, we found that the ice bucket they give you are too small to chill our champaign. If you ask your room steward he/she will get you a bucket. That is what we did last year.

• 4 weeks later...