Hurricane Season in the Caribbean

OhioMike2016

Just came back from my 1st cruise and loved it. Now I am looking to go again. In doing some general searching for the best deals; for obvious reasons, cruising during Hurricane Season seems to be the 'cheapest' time. My question: Is it worth it?

I am thinking that with todays' technology, these big ships can avoid (for the most part) any major storms and therefore the cruise should not be a problem. Is this just me trying to be overly optimistic or is booking a cruise during the Hurricane Season just not very advisable (i.e. back to the Question: Is worth it)?

I would not worry about the hurricane aspect of it, as long as you're ok with potential port changes (some people get VERY upset if they miss a port they were supposed to stop at). Also consider there will be many more kids when school is out (that's the deal breaker for me). If those two are okay for you, you should be fine. I would only worry about Bermuda cruising in hurricane season since that's your only stop and they seem to switch it for Canada/NE in the case of a storm, which is not a fair substitute IMO.

Being on the ship in a hurricane is less of an inconvenience than trying to fly into the port leading up to or during a hurricane. If you're the sort of person who flies in day-of, you might want to fly in a day or two beforehand. Cancellations cause a ripple effect across the country, and could impact your getting to the cruise, even if it doesn't affect your ship proper.

Yeah, you just never know what to expect in Hurricane Season and with that said, we've Cruised a number of times during the Season. Most recently we sailed on Oasis (Oct 1 - 8, '16) and you may recall Hurricane Matthew was causing considerable destruction. We didn't know what, if any impact it might have. In the end, we didn't even know there was a Hurricane in the area. The only alteration the Captain made to the Itinerary was on the way back to FLL from St. Martin; rather than sailing well of the Coast of Cuba, he stayed a tad closer, explaining the Seas may be rougher if he were out in the "open" a bit. We didn't even have any rain from the Storm, Granted, by the time were Departed FLL, Matthew was heading over Hispaniola and then was turning North, and by then, we were well East an heading South of it.

I guess that's the advantage of being on a Ship, with enough time, they can alter the course, unlike being on an Island and captive to the Storm.

But, I'm sure others have different Hurricane stories.

Just came back from my 1st cruise and loved it. Now I am looking to go again. In doing some general searching for the best deals; for obvious reasons, cruising during Hurricane Season seems to be the 'cheapest' time. My question: Is it worth it?

Hurricane season last for 6 months, and the price of the cruise is not based on it. It's based on peak season (school out, summer months) and non-peak seasons. Non Peak is during some of hurricane season, just like some peak is during hurricane season.

I am thinking that with todays' technology, these big ships can avoid (for the most part) any major storms and therefore the cruise should not be a problem.

Yes, the ships, do not sail into the "eye" of the storm, but they also don't avoid storms either. Depends on the storm, and what it's producing, will determine the best route the captain will take. Sometimes, they will just alter course, and sometimes, they will skip a stop. However, depending on the size of the storm, you could expect wind and waves at times. The idea is they will do what they can to make sure the guests are comfortable, and not flying around.

Is this just me trying to be overly optimistic or is booking a cruise during the Hurricane Season just not very advisable (i.e. back to the Question: Is worth it)?

50% of the year is hurricane season, and that would make 50% of bookings are made by people, making the choice to cruise during hurricane season. (unless they are not leaving from Florida or TX. )

You are VERY unlikely to sail through a storm...but it can change your itinerary, should there be a hurricane or tropical depression/storm. If there are no storms a'brewing, then your trip will be the same as any other time of the year! It's still quite hot in the Caribbean (which, of course, is why storms form in the 1st place!)

Just because you book outside of hurricane season doesn't mean you won't encounter one. Witness Anthem Feb 2016. I know, I was there. I've also sailed her twice since then and I'm booked for this Sept. I'd say, go with the date that is convenient for you and an itinerary that appeals to you.

Being on the ship in a hurricane is less of an inconvenience than trying to fly into the port leading up to or during a hurricane. If you're the sort of person who flies in day-of, you might want to fly in a day or two beforehand. Cancellations cause a ripple effect across the country, and could impact your getting to the cruise, even if it doesn't affect your ship proper.

I wouldn't worry about the actual cruise itself, but I would be concerned about my ability (and the ship's ability) to get to the port of embarkation. I think that's where the biggest disruption could occur (including cancelled flights and lost cruise days).

But, how often does that actually happen?

50% of the year is hurricane season, and that would make 50% of bookings are made by people, making the choice to cruise during hurricane season. (unless they are not leaving from Florida or TX. )

Not good for those leaving from Charleston or JAX either. Those two ports really have no place to sail to escape the storm.

Just because you book outside of hurricane season doesn't mean you won't encounter one. Witness Anthem Feb 2016. I know, I was there. I've also sailed her twice since then and I'm booked for this Sept. I'd say, go with the date that is convenient for you and an itinerary that appeals to you.

Conversely, even if you can avoid a hurricane, you're also more likely to have rainy/overcast days in port during those months. A rainy day in port is much like money flushed down the toilet.

Conversely, even if you can avoid a hurricane, you're also more likely to have rainy/overcast days in port during those months. A rainy day in port is much like money flushed down the toilet.

Not for us.:)

Height of hurricane season is Sept. 10. There are far more storms in Aug. Sept. Oct. than June and July or November. So if you are looking at earlier in the summer your chances of being affected are less. As for a storm actually affecting you, as those above said the bigger issue would be getting to embarkation port. Once at sea you'll be fine, only possible change might be skipping a port. The suggestion above to plan on arriving a day or 2 early s a good one.

And if a storm comes . . .oh well. We had to move our wedding last minute from west coast of FL to east coast b/c of a hurricane. Fortunately everything went off smoothly and now it's just part of a great story.

Have been living in FL since 1961 and also lived in NOLA for a brief time. Been through numerous hurricanes and all have been sunny and bright the day after hurricane passed. If it weren't for the destruction caused by the winds we would not even know we had just lived thru a hurricane. Do not live close to the Ocean or Gulf so water and flooding not an issue.

I do however try to book around the last week of August and the month of September, but have sailed in September becuase we wanted to sail Allure when she first came to FL.

Excellent answers have been provided by precious posters regarding getting to FL by air pre cruise. Follow the advice and all will be ok.

I am thinking that with todays' technology, these big ships can avoid (for the most part) any major storms and therefore the cruise should not be a problem. Is this just me trying to be overly optimistic or is booking a cruise during the Hurricane Season just not very advisable (i.e. back to the Question: Is worth it)?

my 1st ever cruise was last october. can you say matthew and nicole? the trip before me didnt make it to bermuda so i was on the 1st trip back after the hurricane. i was very apprehensive that my bermuda dream wouldnt come true but i was lucky that it did. also while it would have sucked, they could have gone to canada and it still would have been a trip at least. there's virtually no chance the ship wont go somewhere. just prepare yourself for that rare possiblity and you will be fine. id def go during hurricane season if the price is right

for even cheaper. try december. !

Debbie Downer here, with a little extra gloom. Remember last year? January 2016... Hurricane Alex, which of course is was well outside of "hurricane season". The moral of the story is to just plan your cruise when it is best for you and leave weather worries at the bottom of the list and not a major deciding factor:D.

• 4 months later...

I'm coming to this thread a little late. We don't normally cruise during hurricane season, but last year we did and it worked out fine for us, we were the first ship back to Royal's Coco Cay and Nassau after Hurricane Matthew. This year we are doing the same cruise just a little earlier.

On a side note in May we were in the Southern caribbean, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. I can't remember what local said it, but he said the Hurricane's never come down here. I think he might have Jinxed it. Tropical Storm Harvey probably won't make Hurricane status, but its taking a bee-line through there and two more seem to be lining up behind it. Continuing to hope for quiet in the Bahamas.