"Traditional Gay and Lesbian Cruisers, or more queer-friendly"

Named-Tawny

Hey folks:

Not sure if this is the right forum, since I'm not Gay or Lesbian, but I'm very very queer.

Just wondering what the mindset is of most gay and lesbians cruisers is (especially if there's queer social activities) around people who are queer, but not as visibly so.

I'm a nonbinary transperson. My partner is a homoflexible woman. I'm definitely on the femme side of things, but often get misinterpreted as male because of my athletic physique. Queer community is very important to us.

Maybe I'm overworrying, but what have your experiences with the majority of queer cruiser been? Are they open to the alphabet soup beyond LG, or is it like the forum title and do they tend to exclude those who aren't visibly and obviously gay or lesbian?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just take a cruise and forget about the alphabet while you are on board. All the labels that are used now need descriptors so that I understand what you are talking about. It was a lot simpler in the 1960s.

Just take a cruise and forget about the alphabet while you are on board. All the labels that are used now need descriptors so that I understand what you are talking about. It was a lot simpler in the 1960s.

Ah yes, the good old days, where two men weren't legally allowed to have sex, let alone get married.

I am not part of the LGBQT community, however, I have taken two cruises with the group "Gayribbean Cruises" and have always thoroughly enjoyed myself. Have you looked into cruising with this group? I don't know a whole lot about them but I will say that they have people who arrange the cruises and make sure that their participants are always treated kindly and with respect. They have a few gatherings that are open only to members of their cruising party. I've only heard great things about the program in general from participants that I've met on the ship. I hope that helps...

• 2 months later...

If you want to try a traditional cruise (ie not a LGBTQ charter) I can advise you that Holland America is very welcoming. The only official social gathering is the daily cocktail hour in one of the bars or lounges, but more often than not people make friendships and do activities on the cruise together thereafter.