Possible Silversea First Timer

Nemanoxer

Good morning (at least here in Germany right now).

I used to do the big ships in the past, but this is about to change. I want more intimacy, more atmosphere, better cuisine.

So: I am a male solo traveler which is a bad bad thing when it somes to cruising. However, I keep finding special Silversea offers now and then that are on a pricing level not much higher than let´s say Celebrity. This is how Silversea came into my focus.

But I am a little worried about the atmosphere on board. How formal is it during the day? How much do I have to dress up at night? How relaxed or elite is the atmosphere on board?

I would love to receive some input from you Silversea experts in order to decide whether Silversea could be a possible future choice for me or not. Thank you.

Have you considered glancing down the forum and reading a few of the threads that seem of interest as I believe the answer to most or perhaps all of your concerns and questions have previously been discussed? Perhaps reading through Silversea web site with respect to how to dress during the day and at night? Most of the things you need to know will be on their web site. I think you will find that a relatively small amount of personal research and effort should provide you with a lot of the answers you seek.

Then when further questions emerge, perhaps ask specific questions you still have that haven't seen answered? Otherwise you'll more likely simply get responses telling you to try it.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Nemanoxer, welcome to the forum!

From what I've read so far...most solo travelers are women, so would think this is an advantage for you. :)

Also, the MUSE may have more challenges with solo travelers...perhaps the Spirit would be a good transition from the bigger ships?

Regarding the dress code...agree with Jeff. This topic is in every other thread. ;)

I surely might meet the age requirements of some solo traveling ladies, I am just afraid they might not meet mine ;) . I read there are Gentlemen Hosts on some Silversea cruises, so the ladies are fine, anyway, I guess.

I am sorry for not glancing down to the "Dress Code FAQs". CC for me has always been the board where questions keep repeating, and people keep repeating their answers - that´s what I love here. Still, no bad blood here from my side, please :)

After having done some reading, it seems to me that Silversea, even though not being the most expensive of the "more classy" cruise lines, appears to be a cruise line that takes "the formal thing" a bit too far for me to keep feeling relaxed. I have tried the tuxedo thing on Celebrity, and as much as I loved the atmosphere, I disliked sweating at 95 degrees in the Caribbean.

Conclusion: I might be better off looking at Azamara or Oceania, maybe.

I surely might meet the age requirements of some solo traveling ladies, I am just afraid they might not meet mine ;) . I read there are Gentlemen Hosts on some Silversea cruises, so the ladies are fine, anyway, I guess.

I am sorry for not glancing down to the "Dress Code FAQs". CC for me has always been the board where questions keep repeating, and people keep repeating their answers - that´s what I love here. Still, no bad blood here from my side, please :)

After having done some reading, it seems to me that Silversea, even though not being the most expensive of the "more classy" cruise lines, appears to be a cruise line that takes "the formal thing" a bit too far for me to keep feeling relaxed. I have tried the tuxedo thing on Celebrity, and as much as I loved the atmosphere, I disliked sweating at 95 degrees in the Caribbean.

Conclusion: I might be better off looking at Azamara or Oceania, maybe.

If I were you I'd delve a bit more.

There are workarounds for the dress codes on nights they apply. On the whole, if you read this forum and understand what you will get realistically and don't believe all the puff, buy your cruise well, you might get a cruise that is great for you.

Something caught your eye about SS, and as long as you know what you are buying warts and all it might be OK for you.

I sail solo and just like you, I used to do the bigger ships then I moved to SS for exactly the same reasons as you - I now have 180 days with SS - but I'm not really sure what you mean about 'age requirements'? In my experience, your fellow passengers on SS don't care much about ages, nor are you confined to the company of other solos - I seldom hang out with the other solos any more, everyone is so friendly I usually spend more time with couples and groups of people. A German knowledge base would be very, very welcome on a trivia team to offset the mostly North American / UK passengers - you'd be in great demand and there's half a dozen new friends right there.

Don't take the dress code threads too seriously - they're mostly posted by pax who want to keep the old formal style but things are changing (for the better, IMO, and I'm not alone in that); for formal dress you'd be fine with a dark jacket and tie over dark trousers - doesn't even need to be an actual suit - a tuxedo is definitely not required. You don't even need that much if you don't want - on formal nights you can dine at La Terrazza or the Grill and you can just be smart casual.

One thing I can tell you for sure as a solo - if you find a SS cruise with only a 25% solo supplement, and there are quite a few, you will get much, much better value for money than on Azamara or Oceania. There are one or two Az cruises with a lower solo supp, but most are 100% altho' since most drinks and the grats are included, the final fare isn't too bad - very small cabins though, and the bathrooms are miniscule. Oceania is 100% solo supp across the board and you pay for everything plus 18% grats on drinks - the bottom line is ridiculously expensive and poor value for money for a solo.

Don't give up on SS - keep on looking around and if you find the right itinerary at the right price, I bet you would enjoy it.

Edited by jollyjones

I agree that Silversea is offering some very attractive fares with 25% single supplements on a number of cruises.

Daytime dress can be very casual.

One can do an entire cruise never putting on a necktie. On the few formal nights dine in The Grill (outside -- no jacket, no tie) or La Terrazza (classy indoors -- jacket but no tie required).

I take a blazer and nice slacks -- no suit, certainly no tux. And I have done quite well.

I used to do the big ships in the past, but this is about to change. I want more intimacy, more atmosphere, better cuisine.

So: I am a male solo traveler which is a bad bad thing when it somes to cruising. However, I keep finding special Silversea offers now and then that are on a pricing level not much higher than let´s say Celebrity. This is how Silversea came into my focus.

But I am a little worried about the atmosphere on board. How formal is it during the day? How much do I have to dress up at night? How relaxed or elite is the atmosphere on board?

I would love to receive some input from you Silversea experts in order to decide whether Silversea could be a possible future choice for me or not. Thank you.

Welcome to the SS boards. Don't worry about asking questions, most regular posters will be happy to give you advice. It's what we are here for.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are plenty of options if you don't want to dress for formal nights. My wife refuses to consider taking anything that might be considered formal and we have no problems either dining at The Grill, or at La Terrazza, or in our suite. We find nothing worse than having to dress up after spending all day in the sun and water, or in the case of northern climates, after having spent hours on the go exploring ports.

I have just received an e-mail from SS, after I had asked for a quote online. A personal assistant offers me a phone call for more advice. Now, that is what I call spoiling in the first place :D .

I was not so serious about the age thing. Actually, I had the best fellow cruisers being WAY older than me on Celebrity. We had a blast back then.

And it is not like I am a drunken loudmouth or anything, running around in shorts and white socks all day. I have learned in South America that men should stick to jeans / trousers as long as bearable, so that is what I have adapted for myself. I can behave.

If people let me go with a good quality polo shirt / shirt and good quality dark / black jeans during the day and maybe also in the evening... I am fine... And ready to put on a nice jacket and good quality long-sleeve shirt in the evening for some venues. :)

After all, the 2012 Celebrity Equinox was fine for me - but I hated and still do hate hundreds of people ramming into the buffet restaurants in the morning and same in ports. I want "to be somebody" during my cruise.

If special solo offers are availalble that may indicate an undersold cruise which might work in your favour in terms of being treated like an individual. As I suggested upthread have a bit of a read and then ask questions and decide whether it's for you. I don't think dress will be an issue for you.

Hi Neman and welcome to the Silversea boards.

If l were you l would most certainly book a SS voyage as I'm sure you will enjoy.

The solo fares can be very good on certain cruises and once you've sailed with them you will get more discount as a Venetian member....particularly if you book on board either for a future cruise or a floating deposit.

I would however recommend that you find a good travel agent who can give you more discount and even some perks!

The solo meetings on board are for all and can be a good way of meeting others travelling alone.

The dress code is very casual during the day and even in the evenings if you choose to dine as such......

As has been said the tux isn't essential as a dark suit and tie will suffice....and I've seen many a gent discard the tie during dinner!

Sophia 😊

Hi, I am taking my first Silverseas cruise in August:D........and I always sail solo and have been cruising with Celebrity

for many years. I am very much looking forward to this cruise and trying out a true "luxury line". I am going on Spirit and

will be happy to give you my opinion when I return home.

I don't wear long gowns anymore and formal night will be dressy pants and pretty tops with some nice jewelry. I am sure

that will be appropriate.:) and during the day? Shorts/capris/tops are my attire unless I am in the pool....I am bringing

a couple of swimsuits too.:D

Anyway, hope you have fun making a decision;)

So, I have had another contact with "my personal sales agent". This contact made me decide to not go with Silversea for the time being.

The lady was very friendly and informative, of course. But being a Customer Services Manager, I had to note that she was trying several tricks (from trainings that I do myself in another industry :D) to make me buy a much higher category than I had requested.

I may be a little uptight here, however I never had an experience like this before, not even with NCL or Costa. And I felt put off by getting this from an agent who is selling in this price category.

Might try again another year, though.

Sorry you felt the rep was being pushy:eek:......not a nice thing for sure. Nobody has ever tried to "push" me into buying

another category. And I would have told her this is the one I want......not that one.

I have a good friend who works at SS, I would be happy to give you her name......she is not pushy at all. I have known her for many

years.

So, I have had another contact with "my personal sales agent". This contact made me decide to not go with Silversea for the time being.

The lady was very friendly and informative, of course. But being a Customer Services Manager, I had to note that she was trying several tricks (from trainings that I do myself in another industry :D) to make me buy a much higher category than I had requested.

I may be a little uptight here, however I never had an experience like this before, not even with NCL or Costa. And I felt put off by getting this from an agent who is selling in this price category.

Might try again another year, though.

Neman.......I'm assuming here that you've been dealing with SS direct.....If so l would urge you to find an independant travel agent who will without doubt assist you much better....it's a shame that we can't recommend on this board as there are many of us who have the most brilliant travel advisors......

Sophia 😊

Yes, I was dealing with an SS agent. My usual travel agent does not do luxury lines, that is why,,,

It is no drama whatsoever, I will keep SS in my mind. Heard from the agent that Silver Spirit will be undergoing refurbishment in 2018. Did not say what kind of refurbishment is planned, but I will be on the lookout :)

Neman.......I'm assuming here that you've been dealing with SS direct.....If so l would urge you to find an independant travel agent who will without doubt assist you much better....it's a shame that we can't recommend on this board as there are many of us who have the most brilliant travel advisors......

Sophia 😊

While I understand why we can't name names it is too bad we can't. I will say that while we almost always use an external TA our first Silversea cruise back in 2012 was booked through an internal SS cruise consultant. We'd won a substantial "door prize" from a regional SS representative at a local cruise fair that came with the requirement we book directly with the cruise line. Again can't name her but she was actually super as we learned the ins and outs of a new cruise line after 18 years on Holland America and Celebrity. We've gone back to our regular Internet TA but that wasn't driven by dissatisfaction with the SS consultant. Sorry to hear some internal consultants are "pushy", seems out of SS character but then again they seem to be forever tweaking their marketing and sales strategy.

The SS girl has replied to my decision, apologizing for the impression she gave me. She says she did not want to push me, was only sure the 250,00 $ difference are very well invested for a deck 9 pool deck veranda suite over a deck 7 forward veranda suite (or whatever the correct stateroom names are).

She also pointed that I should not worry about a crowded pool deck in front of my cabin because "on Silver Spirit, this is never the case". Well, I would have to believe her in case of a booking, right? :cool:

Well, I´ll go and have a look at Viking in the meantime, maybe.

She also pointed that I should not worry about a crowded pool deck in front of my cabin because "on Silver Spirit, this is never the case". Well, I would have to believe her in case of a booking, right? :cool:
I agree with your SS agent. In all of my voyages on the Spirit I have never seen anyone congregate around any of the suites on deck 9. People that are exiting the pool area merely enter to take an elevator to their cabin. So, there is no impact to any of the suite areas.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "a crowded pool deck in front of my cabin". ???? For one there are no cabins that open up directly to or overlook the pool. All the cabins on Deck 9 are forward of the pool down a hallway. Secondly, generally speaking the pool area is relatively quiet even on sea days. Silversea doesn't attract a lot of families so while there may be a few you typically don't have a lot of children running around. There are no slides, few if any pool games, etc., and rarely even a band or loud music playing around the pool. We'll be on the Spirit for the second time this coming November and once again picked a cabin on Deck 9 as we spend a lot of time out of our cabin around the pool and like the easy access.

Hi,

My husband and I have cruised on Silversea many times and have found them to be fairly reasonable with the dress code. There are a couple of formal nights on 10-12 night segments, but you can always avoid them by going to the upstairs restaurant for the "hot rocks" or room service. Most nights are business casual which simple means a sport coat. We live on the beach and are VERY casual folks and have never had a problem with the formality. Most of the Silversea cruisers are over 50 and quite experienced cruisers. We have found them to be friendly, warm and very welcoming to single travelers. Yes, there are LOTS of single ladies on board who would enjoy a male with whom to share a meal, dance or maybe an excursion. The dress during the day is quite casual, with shorts, t-shirts, and sandals very common. We were on the world cruise with them a couple of years ago and will do it again in 2019, due to an incredibly interesting itinerary. We absolutely LOVE this cruise line and look forward to our next adventure with them. Next January we are trying Regent, which is a little larger than Silversea, due to their exciting itinerary so we will be able to compare the two lines. Good luck in your adventures and happy cruising. Let me know if you have any more questions about SS. I love talking about them.

Well, I´ll go and have a look at Viking in the meantime, maybe.

Just FYI: there are WAY too many cruise lines competing against each other and a newbie could no way make comprehensive comparisons. We have found that there are only three companies that provide very similar top-end services, that you could switch from line to line and know exactly what to expect each day. only things that would change are décor, shore excursions and ship size. other minor things would be a little differences in restaurants. The three currently are Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. When you go aboard these ships you get; your bar stocked the way you like it, soap and towels you prefer, butlers to help you with almost everything (Seabourn is a room attend but providing the same thing), dine when you want and where you want. no tipping is required and doing special things (bubble baths with rose peddles, shinning your shoes, shipping specialty things directly to your room from home) or arranging on board parties is their specialty.

So look around and don't get caught up in comparing apples and oranges... it will make you crazy!

Thank you, carefreecruise, for clearing things up about the high end lines.

Could you maybe comment on which of these three lines has the lowest average age in passengers? I am "only" 45 years old. It´s not like I do not like older people, but if about 50 is the lowest entry age for Silversea, I wonder what it is on the others.

Just FYI: there are WAY too many cruise lines competing against each other and a newbie could no way make comprehensive comparisons. We have found that there are only three companies that provide very similar top-end services, that you could switch from line to line and know exactly what to expect each day. only things that would change are décor, shore excursions and ship size. other minor things would be a little differences in restaurants. The three currently are Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. When you go aboard these ships you get; your bar stocked the way you like it, soap and towels you prefer, butlers to help you with almost everything (Seabourn is a room attend but providing the same thing), dine when you want and where you want. no tipping is required and doing special things (bubble baths with rose peddles, shinning your shoes, shipping specialty things directly to your room from home) or arranging on board parties is their specialty.

So look around and don't get caught up in comparing apples and oranges... it will make you crazy!