Whale season

FLbeachbaby

Looking to actually get a tour with the potential for snorkeling with whales the first week in September. I've found Pure Snorkeling in BB haven't found anyone in Moorea yet. I'd prefer Moorea just because we have the private motu and a land based excursion already but I would happily go with anyones recommendation for an amazing whale excursion. Don't need dolphins, we have those every day in our canal. Swimming with whales please....

Looking to actually get a tour with the potential for snorkeling with whales the first week in September. I've found Pure Snorkeling in BB haven't found anyone in Moorea yet. I'd prefer Moorea just because we have the private motu and a land based excursion already but I would happily go with anyones recommendation for an amazing whale excursion. Don't need dolphins, we have those every day in our canal. Swimming with whales please....

I actually booked with Moorea Activities Center just yesterday for the 2nd day PG is in Moorea (September 15) - they will pick us up at the dock and take us out on their boat to look for the whales and if we want we can get in the water and snorkel with them. I'm sure there is still room http://www.mooreaactivitiescenter.com/home

I'm hoping it will be a great day!

Susan

I just talked via messenger with the owner (friend of mine). He said there is 3 humpbacks in Moorea right now. They arrived in the past few days. They get close to them but not as much to disturb them. They adhere to a strict code. You will not be disappointed.

Dr Michael Poole. I spent three weeks trying to swim with humpbacks, and the only time I actually got to go in the water and swim with them were with Dr Michael Poole. An experience to remember...

Regarding Dr. Poole- there is not a way to book his tour, at least that I have found. Perhaps he is tied to cruise line now for his tour ? I've also read he spends a lot time with the dolphins but again we have dolphin/manatee/ray discovery everyday.

SmBruner- we apparently like the same things, I'll go check them out as day 2 Moorea would be great, thank you.

Off topic, but here in FL we try to avoid sharks as we have a relatively high incident rate. What's with all the shark feeding/ shark swimming etc. ??

[quote name=FLbeachbaby;53408340...

Off topic' date=' but here in FL we try to avoid sharks as we have a relatively high incident rate. What's with all the shark feeding/ shark swimming etc. ??[/quote]

The black-tipped sharks that are mostly fed are harmless to humans. I've done this a bunch of times on Bora Bora and Moorea.

Try http://www.mooreaactivitiescenter.com

They have whale watching.

I'm booked in July with them. Will post report here or on the Windstar Windspirit roll call.

dandee2

dandee2 - I'm VERY interested to find out what your experience was like with the whale watching with Moorea Activities Center. Our excursions just opened up and there is one to go see Dolphins with Dr. Poole on the same day we're booked with Moorea AC so I booked the ship excursion and might cancel the one I pre-paid for (since I can get a refund). I can always cancel the PG excursion later.

Thank you!

Thanks guys, I finally went to the website and realized that I know their centre at Les Tipaniers--it's right next door to the hotel, on the beach. And since we'll be staying there again in October, it will be very handy for us to perhaps take a whale tour while we're there pre-cruise.

I note that the whale tour is not that much cheaper than Dr. Poole's trip when booked through the ship. The latter is about $30 more pp. And I can vouch for that tour--very educational, sometimes exciting, snorkeling not guaranteed however.