A Month To Go:)....more help questions please.

Lois R

Hi folks, getting down to the 30 day mark.........have a couple of more logistical questions.......I am staying at hotel

in Barcelona called "THE PULITZER".....do any of you know it? And would you know how far it might be from the

port?

And as for the port and embarkation.......when I get to the ship (I will be taking a cab)...I have never been to Barcelona...

just wondering about the set up, terminal, are SS staff/porters/etc there to assist? (One would think so:D).

How early can I board the ship?

Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated:D

Lois, can't help with that hotel but if it's in the city centre then you'll be a fifteen minute cab ride away...traffic can get quite bad....

The Spirit usually docks at the World Trade Center which has quite a spacious terminal with many porters to assist you along with SS staff who will initially process your tickets. You'll then proceed though security and on to the ship where you'll be directed to reception where they'll complete your booking.

I would aim to be at the port around noon...just in time for lunch in La T! Your suite should be ready by 2pm

It's all a very easy process so you've no need to worry.

Sophia 😊

Lois, Stayed at the Pulitzer in July 2016.

Out the front door, across the narrow street, is a taxi stand. There are always at least four taxis there day and night.

If the SS ship is at the smaller port at the end of La Rambles, then it will take aobut 10 mintues. If the ship in the larger port on the edge of town then it will be about 15-20 mintues taxi ride depending on traffic. Give the neme of ship to taxi driver and they will drive you right up to the port terminal for your ship. Porters will take your bags, go to check in and then, at least for Celebrity, we passed through an area with a liquor store , shops, atm, and then onto the gangway to board the ship.

Lois, after you land, you will most probably find yourself in a very long line to pass through customs. It is only recent that the Barcelona government is not supporting the large entrance of tourists to the city. One discouraging factor is keeping three customs booths or less opened when more than one airplane lands at the same time. The city's elected officials are feeling the anger of the residents for the lack of some controls regarding the masses of tourists arriving, especially during the summer months. Fewer entrance booths do not deter those who just landed, of course, but word of mouth may...

Once in the city you will marvel at the beautiful monuments and at the warmth of its people. But I already said they would like to limit the number of tourists...yes, but once you are there, you are very, very welcomed.

As has been noted, the Spirit usually docks at the very central World Trade Center dock. Your documents will include a telephone number to call (a local maritime agency) if you want to call in the morning to re-check the location. Be aware that most taxis will assume that you will dock at the port for the large ships (I think the name is Adossat, but not sure), so make it a point to specify World Trade Center, if this is the case. They will not know which port by name of ship.

Once you arrive at the port, the pampering will begin! Enjoy your cruise.

If you're a month out, you should have your cruise ticket by now (assuming you have an emailed ticket). Under "Your Pre-Cruise Information" on the second page it says where the ship will be located. Using this information, locate the port with Google maps and get directions to the Pulitzer Hotel. It always helps me to see on a map where I'm located and where I'm going.

I've never embarked at Barcelona but have disembarked at three different ports there (two mentioned in this post). At all the ports, I've always found cabs to be available and honest in Barcelona.

Stayed at Pulitzer in 2008 pre-cruise. Fare to WTC terminal was less than €20 IIRC. I think I asked the hotel to get a cab for us. It's not far but traffic and indirect routing make it take longer.

But we took the airport express bus to Plaça Catalunya upon arrival, which was cheap and convenient. Half a block from bus to hotel.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for the replies:).......sounds like it all should be easy peasy:D

I already printed out my cruise documents/ticket so I will re-read it and see what is says:)

Hi folks, getting down to the 30 day mark.........have a couple of more logistical questions.......I am staying at hotel

in Barcelona called "THE PULITZER".....do any of you know it? And would you know how far it might be from the

port?

And as for the port and embarkation.......when I get to the ship (I will be taking a cab)...I have never been to Barcelona...

just wondering about the set up, terminal, are SS staff/porters/etc there to assist? (One would think so:D).

How early can I board the ship?

Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated:D

Echo many other posters. You are about a 20 minute cab ride away which will probably cost you about 20 to 24 Euros for the journey to the World Trade Centre where the Spirit will be berthed.

Map and journey

Embarkation is a doddle. When you arrive in front of the Terminal, its a simple walk through security and admin and straight onto the ship. Shouldnt take more than 10 minutes all in (unless they uncover your stash of dodgy goods! lol) But in seriousness, you will be very happy with the arrangements to get you on board at how pleasant and easy it is. Plus you are in the primary Barcelona cruise berth, which is nice not just to get to from the city, but best sailaway.

Lois, the drive time is as Azulann has said; 15 to 20 minutes. About 2.5 miles but just takes a while with city traffic.

I am sure you will do this but just a reminder to be mindful of your passport as you walk and wait for the taxi and I would keep

the money you will likely need for the taxi in another spot from other money.

Have a wonderful time in Barcelona and on the cruise and look forward to hearing about your experience.

Keith

Hi folks, getting down to the 30 day mark.........have a couple of more logistical questions...I have never been to Barcelona... How early can I board the ship? Any and all insights would be greatly appreciated

Great that your timing for the next "adventure" is getting so close. Agree with the many helpful tips and ideas from Keith, Les, J.P., etc. From our experiences, Barcelona is a wonderfully nice town and port. Things are relatively close and handy. Plus, the character, charm, history and architecture of Barcelona are so wonderful. Glad to read that you have two days in Barcelona. Such a great opportunity to see and exploring there. Keep rolling with the good questions.

Below are a few of my favorite visuals from Barcelona. More on the live/blog connected below. Lots to see and enjoy there!! We did a hop-on, hop-off bus that was perfect to sample the sights and sites there without needing to do too much walking or effort as you are recovering after a long trans-Atlantic flight.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,860 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For Barcelona, one of the most famous sites is its main and historic Cathedral that is over 700-years old and right around the corner from our Hotel Regincia Colon. It is officially called the Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia and was constructed from the 13th to 15th centuries. Its principal work done in the 14th century. It is also near where you catch the hop-on buses circling the town.:

BarcelMainCathedGreatSky.jpg

Barcelona has many apartment building with interesting architectural details. Here the iron railings are wonderfully designed with a local lady taking a look as we passed below on the top level of our hop-on, hop-off bus as we traveled all over this historic and interesting city with great character, charm and innovative design.:

BarcelBalconyIronworkLady.jpg

Near one of famed architect Gaudi’s most famous building, here is a unique street light design along one of Barcelona’s major boulevards.:

BarcelGaudiStreetLight.jpg

Our first night in Barcelona, included wonderful tapas and a spectacular paella in a small dining place near our hotel. It is named Neyras in the neighborhood of Sant Pere Santa Caterina i la Ribera with an address of Laietana, 41. Here is the lady preparing some of the food.:

BarcelFoodPrepTapas.jpg

We first visited Barcelona in 1998 and loved the Las Ramblas. It is always busy with lots of tourists and locals, around the clock, participating in the spectacle that is Barcelona. Las Ramblas runs from the start of Placa de Catalunya and ends to the south at Port Vell at the Christopher Columbus statue. Las Ramblas runs through Barcelona’s center, with the Gothic Quarter and El Raval neighborhoods to either side. There are colorful street performers and vendors selling everything imaginable from flowers to caged birds. The architecture is such an interesting mix.:

BarcelFreshFlowersRambla.jpg

Before boarding our ship, we visited Barcelona’s famed Mercat La Boqueria and had breakfast here. WOW!!! It is easy to see why this popular Boqueria Market is not to be missed. It has a wide range of fresh meats, cheeses, produce and delicious food options to enjoy. Here is one of the beautifully stock fruit stands and a busy breakfast stand in the market.:

BarcelMarketLadyFruitBuy.jpg

I hope you get there, Lois. We've missed it both times we've been there. Definitely on our list for next time!

Hey JP....Jeff mentioned on the cooler thread you might have some information on a crossbody bag for using while

in Barcelona.........any suggestions would be welcomed:) I have them here at home but they are not slash resistant

or anti-theft..........

Hello Lois,

Travelon and Travel Smith have anti theft bags. QVC always shows these. Check out Overstock.com, too. I will be interested in your experience on your cruise. I'm considering doing one next year.

No, I don't use those bags. We've been to Barcelona twice and we don't take any different precautions there as compared to anywhere else. I bury my wallet deep in a front pocket, as I do everywhere else. Or it its chilly enough for a jacket, it goes in an inside zippered pocket. Anything that's too valuable stays in the hotel safe.

Hi Weldon, thanks for those suggestions:)........I know both brands. I have looked on the Q (I shop with them;))

and their Travelon inventory is not that large........I will look on EBAG:) and I will look at Overstock....never purchased

anything on there before.

No, I don't use those bags. We've been to Barcelona twice and we don't take any different precautions there as compared to anywhere else. I bury my wallet deep in a front pocket, as I do everywhere else. Or it its chilly enough for a jacket, it goes in an inside zippered pocket. Anything that's too valuable stays in the hotel safe.

Hi JP, thanks for the reply.:)

another good cross body bag that has metal thread in the straps so you can't cut them is PacSafe which comes in many sizes & colors. I love mine - you throw them in the washer. Just google them. Suggest that if you want to see Sagrada (which is a don't miss) you purchase advance tickets on line. Lines are crazy long. We've never been there in the summer but I suspect it will be very hot (check www.wunderground.com) for stats for your dates. Plan on cool & comfortable clothing. Boqueria gets so crowded - might try the Santa Catarina market as an alternative - more of a locals market. Plan on eating a lot of very good food while there. We just realized that we will be there on the day they vote on independence (10/1) so it should be crazy - can't wait to go to the Plaza Catalunya with the throngs that night. Should be so very memorable - probably a good time to leave everything in the hotel safe. Have a great time & I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on your first Silversea cruise. Undoubtedly it won't be your last!

Edited by nowornever
used the phrase "can't wait" too many times - even though I really can't wait.

Hey JP....Jeff mentioned on the cooler thread you might have some information on a crossbody bag for using while

in Barcelona.........any suggestions would be welcomed:) I have them here at home but they are not slash resistant

or anti-theft..........

No ... didn't say that. JP is particularly good for general and food recommendations about Barcelona.

It is bewildering that people don't seem to picture and predict what will be the obvious consequence to them if a guy on the back of the moving bike isn't able to snatch or cut through the strap of a cross-bag in the second or so he has as he passes .....

Still. Onwards and upwards. :)

No ... didn't say that. JP is particularly good for general and food recommendations about Barcelona.

Good morning...sorry, I didn't mean to say you had given information you had not.........my mistake:eek: