Urgent! Does ATN really limit one's hand baggage to 3kg? Not a day backpack as in US?

Burpelson

Dear Folks,

I was just wrapping up packing and this 3kg constraint for the hand baggage (in addition to a standard sized roll aboard) turns out to be a real constraint. But do they really enforce this? It is their policy (pasted below), but it seems draconian.

Any insights welcome! Thank you.

From their website:

"In compliance with Civil Aviation Safety Authority Regulations, it is necessary to limit the size, weight and number of passengers' carry-on baggage. Passengers on Air Tahiti Nui are allowed the following carry-on baggage:

All carry-on baggage allowances in the table below. Piece AllowanceWeight Limitation

(Maximum per piece)Maximum Dimensions

Combined dimensions

(length + width + height)Adult & Child

(From 2 years old)1

*plus 1 personal item22 lbs / 10 Kg45 in / 115 cm

*In addition to your cabin baggage allowance, one personal item (3kg max) may be carried in the cabin including one of the following: Handbag/pocket book, small camera case, infant bag or baby food, and laptop computer with case."

Dear Folks,

I was just wrapping up packing and this 3kg constraint for the hand baggage (in addition to a standard sized roll aboard) turns out to be a real constraint. But do they really enforce this? It is their policy (pasted below), but it seems draconian.

From their website:

"In compliance with Civil Aviation Safety Authority Regulations, it is necessary to limit the size, weight and number of passengers' carry-on baggage. Passengers on Air Tahiti Nui are allowed the following carry-on baggage:

All carry-on baggage allowances in the table below. Piece AllowanceWeight Limitation

Combined dimensions

(From 2 years old)1

*In addition to your cabin baggage allowance, one personal item (3kg max) may be carried in the cabin including one of the following: Handbag/pocket book, small camera case, infant bag or baby food, and laptop computer with case."

Usually not an issue when you fly over but it can be something they consider on the return. Have no idea why they make a big thing about a few extra kg on the return, it can leave a sour taste in ones mind after having a trip of a lifetime. This overseeing of the bags on the return is an airport policy not a ATN policy. Have taken 5 or 6 different carriers over the years, you get the same bag treatment no matter the carrier.

Dear Folks,

From their website:

Combined dimensions

(From 2 years old)1

"*plus 1 personal item22 lbs / 10 Kg45 in / 115 cm" this is the cabin allowance +the 3kg handbag etc. That is more than most airlines that only allow 7kg +handbag. Have a safe trip :)

The way I read it, the larger one is US roll aboard sized 14x 22x 9 (which don't have weight limits in the US to my knowledge). So the 2nd at 3kg is much more constricted than my day pack w books, camera, binos, etc.

So this is difficult. The penalties for the hand luggage seem unspecified. ..

The first one which is your carry one can't wait more than 22 lbs it used to be 15 lbs then your purse and camera bag is only about 7 lbs. they do weigh them while you are standing in line to check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... Have no idea why they make a big thing about a few extra kg on the return ...

I am not necessarily defending ATN, but it is a fact that every extra kg on the plane means more fuel is burned and more money is spent by the airline buying that fuel.

"*plus 1 personal item22 lbs / 10 Kg45 in / 115 cm" this is the cabin allowance +the 3kg handbag etc. That is more than most airlines that only allow 7kg +handbag. Have a safe trip :)

So true. Even while travelling business class some of the carriers in the far east are extremely stingy with allowances for the main carryon.

Our bigger problem is with Air Tahiti for the inter island flights where our carryon has to be a day pack and not weigh more than 5kg.

I am not necessarily defending ATN, but it is a fact that every extra kg on the plane means more fuel is burned and more money is spent by the airline buying that fuel.

But they don't seem to worry about it if you check it. Same weight on the plane just in the hold.

I guess my point was when you fly over most have their bags at maximum legal weight. Many while in FP will buy stuff meaning they might be over the weight limit on the return and if it is valuable stuff they don't want to place it in the check bag in fear that it might get lost or stolen. For example a kilo of vanilla beans can cost close to $750 USD right now, it's like gold. A ukulele can be very expensive and fragile. Buying stuff is good for French Polynesian economy, seems to me some exceptions could be made for carry-on allowance when it is stuff you purchased while there. As mentioned the actual weight isn't the issue as they don't charge extra for lets say sports equipment that is placed in the hold such as a surfboard or golf clubs.

Our carry on's were not weighed when flying Air France to/from Tahiti. Same as US domestic - if you can lift it into the overhead bin, it's good to go. So I guess this is a way for ATN to gain a bit more revenue.

Our carry on's were not weighed when flying Air France to/from Tahiti. Same as US domestic - if you can lift it into the overhead bin, it's good to go. So I guess this is a way for ATN to gain a bit more revenue.

Nope ... you just lucked out. Their is a carry-on and handbag patrol that looks at people as they are in line for all international airlines at the PPT airport. If they think your heavy they will ask to weigh your bag as they carry a portable scale. The vast majority of times we've gone over the last 10 years the 'patrol' (airport employees) are on the search. If your bag is heavy they tag it so when you go to the counter they know. You just lucked out.

I've never had an issue at the ATN or AF counter at LAX, even though I've been a bit heavy on my carry-on.

However, I've had by carry-on weighed several times for both ATN and AF in PPT.

So I don't worry at LAX but when I'm in PPT I weigh my bags and if need be place a few items in my checked bag.

Nope ... you just lucked out. Their is a carry-on and handbag patrol that looks at people as they are in line for all international airlines at the PPT airport. If they think your heavy they will ask to weigh your bag as they carry a portable scale. The vast majority of times we've gone over the last 10 years the 'patrol' (airport employees) are on the search. If your bag is heavy they tag it so when you go to the counter they know. You just lucked out.

The AF hand baggage LAX to Papeete is 12 kg for 1 handbag and one accessory in total in economy and 18 kg if you are in business.

Can be confusing the way AF has it on their website for economy or business. Though the weight is different between economy and business the same language "irrespective of travel cabin" is used on both examples.

Attached is economy for AF

weight2.JPG.e229ecbacfff18e5d42798a7274b58b1.JPG

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

You have to fill in your ticket details or class and you get the correct answer.

I was surprised to find that only 1 carry on is allowed in business on flughts originating in the US.

You have to fill in your ticket details or class and you get the correct answer.

I was surprised to find that only 1 carry on is allowed in business on flughts originating in the US.

I did do that ............ yes the correct weight shows but they both use the same language "irrespective of travel cabin" .... meaning someone could look at only one and think it pertains to both ;)

As the OP was referring to ATN carry-on it doesn't matter as there is no difference. I'll have exactly 28.6 pounds of weight. 22lbs in my carry-on and 6.6lbs in my mail pouch camera bag when I check-in. After check-in everything goes in the carry-on :)