Lanyards

SAKay

New to Disney Cruises .....

Do children get a key card? If so, at what age do they receive one? We will be traveling with a 5 yo, 3 yo, and 1 yo, and just wondering if they need lanyards. Also, can you put a hole in the card? If so, where can you have that done on the Wonder or do I need to bring my own hole puncher? If not, I will look for the ones with the plastic holder. Thanks in advance for the help !

Yes everyone gets a key card. They're called key to the world cards or KTTW cards if you see the acronym here. The only difference is, they don't have charging privileges on them (unless you allow it to). I've never tried to punch a hole in them bc they give you lanyards with plastic cases to slip them in. I wouldn't think you could put a hole in them though, bc they open your stateroom door and it might mess up the technology inside them. You also use them to keep the lights on in your room. But you can just as easily put your Costco card or something else in that slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone on board gets a KTTW card, but there is NO need for children to carry them around. Kids participating in the programming get a "magic band" type bracelet which they will need to wear when in the programming. YOU will need to have the KTTW card for everyone when boarding or exiting the ship.

Only return cruisers get lanyards. Yes, you can punch a hole in the KTTW card...but again, there is no need for a child to carry their own card. YOU can carry their card as they have no need to charge anything or enter/leave the room on their own. Until a kid is old enough to be moving around the ship without an adult, there is no need for them to carry their own card. At that point, they need it to return (unlock) the room door.

As DCL Crazy noted, you will need a credit card/KTTW card size something to turn on the lights in the cabin. You can use a KTTW card....or you can use a library card, bus pass, etc. of the same size. I really didn't like the idea of leaving my KTTW card in the slot as I found it too easy to forget when other people were still in the room (just me, I guess).

Thank you all for the info ! On Princess they will punch a hole in your card for you. I have the lanyard that just has the metal hook on it to hang the card with a hole. I will have to look for one with the plastic sleeve. Thanks again ! :D

Is the light thing certain ships?

We didn't need a card to turn on the lights in our room on the Magic.

The light thing is on the Dream and Fantasy. It is common in many European hotels. On the ships.....I don't mind the light bit, but it also controls the AC. If you remove the card when you leave, you'll come back to a hot room. That's no fun. As a result, we use a card other than a KTTW card and leave the lights and AC on. I'd happily turn off the lights and leave the AC on, but that's not an option.

The light thing is on the Dream and Fantasy. It is common in many European hotels. On the ships.....I don't mind the light bit' date=' but it also controls the AC. If you remove the card when you leave, you'll come back to a hot room. That's no fun. As a result, we use a card other than a KTTW card and leave the lights and AC on. I'd happily turn off the lights and leave the AC on, but that's not an option.[/quote']

We usually take an old KTTW card from a previous cruise to put in the light control switch in the Dream or Fantasy rooms.

I found lanyards for $1 each at Party City - they had various kids character options. We got Star Wars, Lightning McQueen, and Blaze. Then I ordered these plastic sleeves from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JYSEGK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Worked pretty well! The kids actually wanted to wear theirs with their KTTW cards because all the adults were. It could be a hassle because I worried more about them losing the cards, but it was fine. They liked being able to use their cards to unlock our door!

The light thing is on the Dream and Fantasy. It is common in many European hotels. On the ships.....I don't mind the light bit' date=' but it also controls the AC. If you remove the card when you leave, you'll come back to a hot room. That's no fun. As a result, we use a card other than a KTTW card and leave the lights and AC on. I'd happily turn off the lights and leave the AC on, but that's not an option.[/quote']

We also use an old KTTW card and leave it in place when we leave the room. However, on a few of our cruises we have returned to the room to find that the room steward had lifted the card high enough to turn off the lights and the A/C. :( They subsequently honored our request to leave the card in place.

What happens at night? The lights must be on to keep the AC on while sleeping?

We will be on the Fantasy in January, we might not need the AC but the option to keep it on would be nice.

What happens at night? The lights must be on to keep the AC on while sleeping?

We will be on the Fantasy in January, we might not need the AC but the option to keep it on would be nice.

No, you can still turn the lights off/on with their individual switches. The AC won't go off unless you remove the card. Removing the card is like turning off the main breaker at home; it turns everything off.

No, you can still turn the lights off/on with their individual switches. The AC won't go off unless you remove the card. Removing the card is like turning off the main breaker at home; it turns everything off.

thanks! This comment from moki made me question it "I'd happily turn off the lights and leave the AC on, but that's not an option."

Correct--each light has an individual switch, so you can run around the room turning them off. The card slot at the door turns them all off...and the AC as well. BUT if you turn off the lights at each light, you have to find a switch to turn them on when you come in. It's fairly easy to hold the door open and find the bathroom light switch if you come in after dark or have an inside room. THere is also a reflector thing by the door, but it doesn't generate enough light for me to see anything...would probably enable me to find the exit door at night in an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't bother with the lanyard and kept the KTTW card in my cargo pocket and the wife has a phone case with a credit card pocket. The new Navigator app has an onboard text messaging system so, we carried our phone around instead of the old Wave room phones.

I did carry the Wave phone around when we had the kids checked into the kids clubs.

Lanyard does anyone know if you are concierge class and have never sailed Disney before will you get a lanyard .?

I don't believe so. The lanyards are for returning DCL cruisers. If you're a first time DCL cruiser = no lanyard.

That said, Concierge guests can certainly request just about anything they want.

Lanyard does anyone know if you are concierge class and have never sailed Disney before will you get a lanyard .?

No, you will not. You will get a gold colored KTTW card which signals anyone to whom you hand a card that you are concierge. Lanyards indicate to the crew that you are a repeat cruiser and how many times you have cruised.

There are Disney themed lanyards for sale in the gift shops.

I honestly can't say what the concierge might be able to do for you if you asked, but the silver, gold, and platinum lanyards are supposed to be for those who have "earned" them in the same way the gold KTTW cards are for those who have paid for them. Concierge guests who have cruised DCL before will get a lanyard based on their status.