The Reunion Cruise

Emdee

After a painless check in and a glass of sparkling we were able to settle into our 8 deck suite. We rushed around as usual greeting our PG family and then welcoming our friends on board

The Chief housekeeper told me that the beds for the triples were new and improved and i see that the suite has new curtains and the bathroom flooring is all new. Carpet around the ship has been changed and the deck is new and improved.

Enjoyed drinks and dinner at L'Etoile and everything was beyond wonderful. The PG staff were at their best which is nothing new. The berries and sabayon with caramel icecream was exquisite.

Still with great memories of Fiji-Bali, but can't help but wish were there with you all. Have a fantastic cruise and then some for all if us repeaters who can only be there with you in spirit!

Thanks so much for your wishes.

Day 2

What an amazing day!

We scurried through the ship wishing the crew we had missed. My DD started a thread posting pictures .

To start with the internet is wonderful. Much faster than before especially because we heard the router is on the 8 th deck.

After a great breakfast we left for our Huahine excursion on the 8.30 am first tender of the morning. Thanks to our wonderful group everyone was on time in spite of it being bright and early. Huahine shone in all her glory with balmy breezes and a clear sky....a huge contrast to our visit in January. We had to wait a few moments for Marc of Huahine Nautique and his boat. He gave us 2 boats which was perfect as the 20 and 30 somethings had the outrigger canoe away from us oldies.

Armand, our Captain, took us to two spots for snorkelling of which one was a drift snorkel. The water activities seemed good as i watched from the boat and the drift was brisk. Then on to the Motu picnic which included a great lunch of Barbecued fish and chicken, poisson cru, roasted bread fruit in coconut milk, salad, bread and coconut bread, a dried fruit pilaf followed by melon and pomelo. Besides the usual in water picnic benches he now boasts a long table which is shaded and two floating mats. Everyone got on really well and it was one of the most cohesive excursions i have ever been on. The young ones bonded and tried to walk on the floating mats in a kind of dare. Some of our oldie group joined in the action and we had a lot of fun and many great memories. In perfect timing Armand drove us back to tge ship and we had only a few minutes to enjoy the lovely cool towels that PG provides before the tender arrived.

The Children of Huahine

As usual they were delightful including one little cutie who was not sure she wanted to be there.

We were greeted with rum punch but of course you could really have anything you wanted as Efren was at the bar.

It is great the kids start learning their traditional dances from an early age with some of them still in diapers though this time the youngest was about 3 years. The troop had developed a special song and dance routine ...I love the Gauguin and it was wonderful. There was one budding dancer who was exceptional and his talent was showcased in a solo performance.

At the end i took a picture with the kids and the naughty boys decided to ham it up for me attempting to display their pecs and strong arms. Very, very cute!

The Captain's Cocktail Party

We were welcomed here with glasses of champagne as usual. Santa Rosa entertained us with excellent music.

Captain Toni introduced the ship's officers including Michelin starred chef, Jean Pierre Vigato who will be on this cruise. Capt.Toni who has a wonderful sense of humour , welcomed us in his inimitable style and introduced the officers. There followed a very elegant presentation about Paul Gauguin which showcased his art in visual vignettes created by the Polynesian ambassadors. I really love this presentation and though i have seen it a few times enjoy it anew.

We were fortunate to be invited to the Captains table for dinner along with cc members cruisingfun aka Gail and Tom who were celebrating their 50 th wedding anniversary . Gail and Tom's friends formed part of the group along with the gorgeous Guest Relations manager Christelle Raoul. It was a great dinner with many interesting stories told by all. All of us present are intrepid travellers so personal experiences are great to hear. Capt. Toni is a delightful host and their was almost no lull in the conversation.

For the very first time i was personally disappointed with the food at La Verandah when my shrimp were overcooked. DH said his beef was perfect as was his appetizer. The creme brulee starred as usual. Joey was our waiter and any veteran of PG or Tere Moana will remember his stellar service.

Motu Mahana

One of the best days on board a PG day is Motu Monday or for us Motu Friday.

What is even better on the reunion is that we will visit Motu Mahana twice.

The weather was absolutely perfect as we reached the Motu after early morning showers.

On arrival we were greeted with iced water and coconut drinks. I quickly walked over to the vendors who in the past have provided me with some exquisite shell jewellery. I bought some vanilla beans which were quite reasonable.

There was no dearth of chairs and tables at the Motu and soon I enjoyed the lovely and refreshing water of motu mahana . The early showers had got rid of the humidity so all was perfect in paradise.

At noon a Gauguin sounded the horn to announce the arrival of Diane Moore, PG President, and Captain Toni. Diane had just returned from the travel and leisure wars in New York, triumphant with trophy in hand after PG won the award for the best mid sized ship for the second year in a row, beating out Seabourn and Windstar, who were second and third. The staff lined up on either side and were greeted and congratulated by Diane. As Diane said, it was really their award for one has to acknowledge the superb service of the loyal staff as the chief reason for PG excellence.

The usual Motu Mahana lunch followed with Poisson Cru, salads, Fillipino fried rice, grilled steak, ribs, chicken, fish, hamburgers, bratwurst and hot dogs. In short, the perfect barbecue menu for the perfect day. Of course the full bar complimented the food offerings and as we sat down with our plates staffed buzzed around with water, drinks, sodas and wine.

We left a tad early at 2.00 in order to attend Mark Eddowes talk on the settlement of Oceania. From what i understand The party continued on the Motu. Mark was his usual self throwing light on the Lapita people and various early settlements of Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia in his inimitable fashion.

Dinner last night for us was at L'Etoile. I enjoyed both courses of gnocchi and Chicken Parmesan though the latter could have been more saucy IMO. The sirloin roast looked excellent. My dessert of the coconut cake with coconut ice cream was excellent as was the raspberry sorbet. PG sorbets are really excellent.. Carduchi, the Dee, Paul Michael and Diane and Bill were at our table and the conversation was lively.

All in all a fabulous day and one of my best days in Motu Mahana.

Day at sea

Had a great day at sea filled with activities. There were too many to attend so one was able to pick and choose according to taste.

Jean Pierre Vigato's cooking demonstration was well attended. DD particularly enjoyed asking questions. One negative was the ship's translator the Cruise Director, who though a lovely lady, was not au courant with cooking terms, didn't know that citronelle was lemongrass and called ramekins white bowls! Since the recipe was already printed she could have been better prepared.

Daniel Barron's wine tasting was also well attended...i caught the latter half and tasted the red and white.

Mark Eddowes speaking about his work in Aitutaki, was at his best. Mark unravels the mysteries of Polynesian culture in his inimitable fashion. We can listen to his lectures time and time again and soak up his take on the various legends and myths he draws upon. He has his own fan following among PG regulars....love you Mark we are privileged to enjoy your lectures!

A lovely new PG tradition on sea days is to pass around chilled soups, mouth watering cookies and delicious sorbets around the pool. A great idea. Loved the mango sorbet they served yesterday in shot glasses...a great refresher on a hot and sunny day!

We had dinner at L'Etoile yesterday. I very much enjoyed the Thai inspired soup and was happy to note that real water chestnuts were included in the Thai entree rather than the ersatz ones I was served in January. The Weiner Schnitzel was not memorable but everyone at our table enjoyed the lamb and the Local Wahoo. The chocolate profiteroles were to die for. Wonderful service from long standing PG employee Marlon who has been here for 17 years and Assistant Earl, who incidentally in Elmo's son.

Special mention to the Gaugines and Gauguinnes who serenaded us at dinner. Realky enjoyed their singing.

Just another day in Paradise.....

At the moment I'm feeling very sorry for myself for not being with all the good folks on the reunion cruise. Sniff sniff.

Of course, all that will change in October when I'm on the PG to the Cook's, and will be feeling superior to all you folks who've already shot your bolt on this cruise. Yee hah!

Raring to go in Raro

Having not visited Raro for a few years we were raring to go in Rarotonga. Woke up to a wonderful view . Everything was closed being Sunday but there were a few stalls at the tender docks. Some of our friends decided to walk to church as the service is considered very good.

We had booked a 4x4 excursion with the ship and the weather cooperated with sunny but cool breezes. We drove through some very rugged terrain to a view point then were taken to see their hospital, some beach vistas and a marae.

A lovely relaxed afternoon completed our day.

Aitutaki excursion and dinner at La Veranda

The Aitutaki weather appeared to be gorgeous but the swells were high as usual. We heard that there was a 50% chance of not being able to tender to this port so were waiting with bated breath for the Captain's announcement. When it came we had good news the tenders were to run but all passengers were to be extremely cautious when entering the tenders as the swells were about 5 feet.

Once ashore we waited for our group to gather and for Teking to bus us to a point closest to One foot Island. One foot island was amazing with gorgeous blue vistas broken only by sand banks. Many of the group walked from this island to the next where the boats picked people up. On the way we saw a massive giant blue Trevaly gracefully gliding by. We had a great lunch followed by some snorkelling to see various fish including giant clams. Threatening weather ended the expedition a tad early.

The tender ride back was horrific with a panicking passenger deciding to give up his seat in front and ended up falling all over me as the tender heaved and swayed. Kudos to Capt. Toni who brought out his A team including the Safety Officer Elly, Bosun Ricardo, Francis who has worked tenders since 2003 and mostly works on the bridge. They did a tremendous job getting us to in and out of the tenders safely. Many thanks to them for looking after us so ably.

Dinner that night was with the new Hotel Director Carlos Acevedo and Asst. Cruise Director Alison. We had a delightful dinner in La Veranda with much exchange of travel experiences and sharing of ideas for PG as it goes forward. Carlos who hails from Miami, has a history with various lines including some time with Silversea and Seabourn so he is well versed in the luxury space.

There followed a show by the Crew. Though we have seen it several times it was wonderful to see the very talented staff go all out for our enjoyment. The much loved Florizel was a great Charlie Chaplin and everyone enjoyed all the performances from our beloved crew.

Hi there, we are following your blog with great interest. We joined a reunion cruise in 2013 on your recommendation and enjoyed every minute. So sorry that Elmo has retired. He was the first person we met and due to you, we felt we knew him already. Please give our best regards to Steve and Nancy. Unfortunately he had to be flown home from the PG due to illness so we never really got to know him them that well but I do remember they live in somewhere to do with Bears. Bear Mountain maybe. What a fabulous name. Please keep blogging and maybe the odd photo. Many thanks for your help in directing us to the PG. Have a wonderful holiday. Steve and Vivienne.

Second day at sea

Once again a fun filled day filled with rest, relaxation and activities. Daniel Barron had some more wine tasting, Mark Eddowes gave another talk and the PG management held a town hall. Lots of compliments about the wonderful PG staff and some interesting talk about a possible PG new build in the pipeline. As of yet nothing confirmed about the new build but certainly a bit more than just hopes and dreams.the proposed dhip would sail a ider range if the south pacific.

I had queried the possibility of a Valparaiso to Papeete cruise on the PG.Unfortunately, this wont be possible due to difficulties in bunkering but maybe the new ship would have the capability to do this.

Even two days later my memory of the day is somewhat hazy.

Bora Bora

Woke up to the perfect day in Bora Bora and happy to embark on my first Raanui excursion a half day excursion of sharks and rays, snorkelling, circumnavigation and a visit to a motu.

The excursion started with the search for manta and all were exhilarated to watch their graceful glide. I don't snorkel but from what i understand it was a wonderful experience. There followed the shark and ray feeding with frenzied sharks churning up the water and rays flapping around. Quite an experience.Next was snorkelling in a coral garden including the sighting of a very large and slippery moray eel which was once more much enjoyed by all followed by the circumnavigation of the island. This is a great tour as you the see wonderful colours of the lagoon and get to view the luxury resorts in the lagoon. It is also great to see the ever changing Mount Otemanu in all its majesty. We finally visited the Motu Tapu where the Conrad brings its guests as well it is the Motu used by Windstar. Its a very nice and large motu with a shallow side but no view to speak of.

The afternoon was spent wallowing in the Crystal clear water of the Bora Bora Motu. The water temperature was perfect and the view wonderful as usual. Efren was on duty dispensing drinks.

We had a full evening as well with a private cocktail party, dinner at Le Grill and the White night Party. For the last, the ship brought a wonderful band from Tahiti. Unfortunately the deck party got rained on but i heard the party shifted to La Palette and lasted until 2 am.

Bora Bora

Woke up to the perfect day in Bora Bora and happy to embark on my first Raanui excursion a half day excursion of sharks and rays, snorkelling, circumnavigation and a visit to a motu.

We had a full evening as well with a private cocktail party, dinner at Le Grill and the White night Party. For the last, the ship brought a wonderful band from Tahiti. Unfortunately the deck party got rained on but i heard the party shifted to La Palette and lasted until 2 am.

Was the Raanui excursion private?

"White night party"? Was ist das? Reminiscent of White Nights on Azamara, that's all I can think of.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review! I am curious about the white night party too. Is this something they do on every PG cruise? Or is it just a one time thing that they did special for the reunion cruise?

Was the Raanui excursion private?

"White night party"? Was ist das? Reminiscent of White Nights on Azamara, that's all I can think of.

Yes something new along with the 60s party. Usually cruise lines have it when cruising countries of white nights...Norway north cape and Baltic states but you are correct Azamara did have it too. Crystal added it but quickly reversed the addition after a huge uproar from regulars.

Raanui was private and many said that it was their best excursion ever!

Thanks for taking the time to post your review! I am curious about the white night party too. Is this something they do on every PG cruise? Or is it just a one time thing that they did special for the reunion cruise?

I think it was a one night event. Last reunion was called dancing under the stars.