What to pack?

mpulse23

This Christmas my grandma has gifted everyone with a cruise over the holiday. It will be my family, my aunt and uncle and cousins, and then my grandma. It totals to a 13 adults. The thing is, I am the only grandchild that is married with a kid and so I'm sort of stressing out a little. My son will turn 1 about 2 weeks before the cruise. We're cruising on the Carnival Freedom to Cozumel, Belize, and Mahogany Bay. I'm trying to come up with a packing list (and a budget for the new clothes my son will need) now since summer clothes are about to go on sale as the season ends.

That being said, I am really wanting to know what people have brought on cruises for this age that basically saved their lives on the cruise or they don't they could've done without. I am just trying to make this whole process less stressful so that we can enjoy the vacation with our family over the holiday.

I don't think the kids need new clothes for a cruise. My kids wore what they had although I did pick up some dressier things they could wear for dinner. Mine are older though and with a one year old, I don't think it really matters.

I tend to agree that they don't necessarily need new clothes, unless you want something more formal or the family is trying to do a group photo with specific clothing. Even then, a 1YO can get away with anything, the little buggers!

There are generally lots of threads on this topic, so you would do well to walk back through the most recent 3/4/5 pages of threads on the family board and read the useful threads. Or just google using 'cruisecritic.com' as one of your search terms.

That said: with a little one you need to bring everything you need ... plus some extra. Plenty of diapers, any required foods, and at least a basic suite of medicines. Clothes can be cleaned/re-used if you run out. You aren't likely to find child medicines or diapers, or probably even small band aids easily onboard.

Also, brings toys. Carnival ships sometimes have an under-2 time for an hour or so per day, but the parents have to be there (ie: it is not drop off) and aside from that you need to provide all entertainment for the child. Given, the child is likely to have a great time people watching and socializing, but that can wear out mom and dad pretty quick.

I don't think the kids need new clothes for a cruise. My kids wore what they had although I did pick up some dressier things they could wear for dinner. Mine are older though and with a one year old, I don't think it really matters.

He'll need new summer clothes because he won't fit into what he has now and all he'll have in December will be winter clothes in his size. The joys of growing children.

I'm going on a cruise with my daughter in September and she just turned one. Some of the things that I have read that people have recommended.

- The ship will provide a pack n play (you have to request it before the cruise), but to bring your own sheets/ or blanket since the cruise only provides a single sheet.

- Unopened snacks for the ports (if needed), you cannot bring any other food off the ship

- Inflatable bathtub - can be used as a pool on deck since most ships won't allow babies in diapers in the pools and can be fit in the shower if your cabin does not have a bathtub

- Plenty of diapers and wipes

- Doggie bags/plastic bags to put the used diapers in so that they're not just in the garbage.

- Umbrella stroller

- Plastic bags can also be used to hold dirty clothes so not to mix with the clean

- Detergent and dish soap, wash clothes and bottles/sippy cups

Since you're planning ahead I would buy anything you can think you might want for the cruise now, while all of the summer stuff goes on sale like baby sunscreen, floaties, swim diapers, sandals, bathing suit, and sand toys

You will pretty much need anything you would need for them in any given day.

Hope this helps.

I'm going on a cruise with my daughter in September and she just turned one. Some of the things that I have read that people have recommended.

- The ship will provide a pack n play (you have to request it before the cruise), but to bring your own sheets/ or blanket since the cruise only provides a single sheet.

- Unopened snacks for the ports (if needed), you cannot bring any other food off the ship

- Inflatable bathtub - can be used as a pool on deck since most ships won't allow babies in diapers in the pools and can be fit in the shower if your cabin does not have a bathtub

- Plenty of diapers and wipes

- Doggie bags/plastic bags to put the used diapers in so that they're not just in the garbage.

- Umbrella stroller

- Plastic bags can also be used to hold dirty clothes so not to mix with the clean

- Detergent and dish soap, wash clothes and bottles/sippy cups

Since you're planning ahead I would buy anything you can think you might want for the cruise now, while all of the summer stuff goes on sale like baby sunscreen, floaties, swim diapers, sandals, bathing suit, and sand toys

You will pretty much need anything you would need for them in any given day.

Hope this helps.

This was way helpful! I had read about bringing an inflatable baby pool for the deck, but not just getting an inflatable tub to use for bath and on deck. Thank you!

Pack for YOU as you would for ANY vacation to a summer climate, It is harder for a baby, especially one in diapers. You HAVE to bring all the "baby specific" stuff that you will need.

Get the TUB...not a pool! The pool deck is too crowded for a pool. The point of the tub is for SPLASHING...that's all! (and bathing, since 1 year olds aren't fond of showers!)

It's helpful if you can get your child on table foods...lots of "mashable" stuff onboard...eggs, applesauce, potatoes, bananas, etc. They generally have cheerios or something similar for "finger foods".....

It's hard with a rapidly growing child, as far as clothes go...you don't need a ton of stuff.