Pasmo versus Suica Cards in Japan?

BassettMom

I plan to purchase one of these cards as it will make train travel in Tokyo so much easier than trying to figure out which ticket to buy. The only thing I haven't decided is which one to buy--the Pasmo card or the Suica card.

Here's the article I read that explains the difference: https://tokyocheapo.com/travel/pasmo...-tokyo-travel/

I'm trying to figure out if they are completely interchangeable--that is, they can both be used on any line. In one part of the article it implies they are the same, but then it says it can't: "So, basically they are identical. The only real consideration is if you need a commuter pass, as journeys on a JR line require a Suica and vice versa." So does that mean that I need both in order to travel on both JR and other lines? I plan to use the card in Tokyo, Yokohama, and Chiba, and possibly in Kyoto as well and I need to travel on both JR lines and other lines (such as Keisei Line into Chiba; Minatomirai Line and Blue Line in Yokohama). Are they both good on the subway?

I'm leaning toward the Pasmo card since I can buy it at Haneda airport when I arrive and not have to wait till I get to a JR train station to buy a Suica card. I'm taking the limousine bus to my hotel, but early the next morning plan to take the train and with the Pasmo card, I'll already have it in hand if I can use it on both JR and other lines.

Anyone have any experience with these cards? If so, which one did you decided to buy? Were you able to use it on both JR and other lines, or were you limited to either JR or other lines? Did it also cover the Tokyo subway?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have lived in Tokyo for about 30 years. When Suica Cards were introduced, everyone bought one. Five years later, Pasmo cards were introduced. Most everyone got one of those. Today I use Pasmo most of the time. I keep the Suica cards to loan to overseas visitors. Essentially they are interchangeable. Occasionally my Kanto (east Japan) Pasmo card will not work in Kansai (west Japan). All the Kombini (convenience stores) accept both. Most vending machines accept both. Most taxis accept both. Pasmo is good for JR and subways, as well as taxis, buses, and ferries.

I have lived in Tokyo for about 30 years. When Suica Cards were introduced, everyone bought one. Five years later, Pasmo cards were introduced. Most everyone got one of those. Today I use Pasmo most of the time. I keep the Suica cards to loan to overseas visitors. Essentially they are interchangeable. Occasionally my Kanto (east Japan) Pasmo card will not work in Kansai (west Japan). All the Kombini (convenience stores) accept both. Most vending machines accept both. Most taxis accept both. Pasmo is good for JR and subways, as well as taxis, buses, and ferries.
Thanks Bruce! Appreciate you confirming the Pasmo card is good on JR lines as well as subways. I didn't realize I could use the card for taxis and ferries too. I'm definitely going to get it at Haneda when I arrive as that will be easiest. Thanks again--you've been so helpful in these boards.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have just found this thread and as I will be in Japan soon it is very useful.

Can anyone tell me if it is easier to get to Hakone and Mount Fuji sites by train from Yokohama or Tokyo.

I am hoping to spend a day seeing the sights, doing ropeways etc but getting a bit confused by different train lines. I have read about a Romance train, which is meant to be very scenic and goes along the coast.

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most JR trains that go from Tokyo to Hakone and Fuji go through Yokohama. Nearly all south-bound trains go along the coast.

Thank you for your speedy reply. It looks like trip from Yokohama may be better time wise, just need to check on our arrival time in Yokohama.

Japan Guide is the place for this kind of information. Here's Hakone access: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

Hakone is a cool trip, but Mt Fuji is often obscured. Fuji Five Lakes is much closer to Fujisan and you are more likely to get clear views. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

Thanks someotherguy,

These links give us lots of information. There are so many choices of tickets!

Can you please suggest a good plan for a one day trip to Fuji? I know it is a big ask, but we would like to get some photographs of Fuji, maybe a reflection of the mountain in a lake and just enjoy the local scenery.

Thanks in advance,

Libby

If you want to do it from Yokohama, say after leaving the ship (and dumping your luggage somehwere), then I'd suggest going to Hakone. Use http://www.hyperdia.com/ to find a convenient train from Yokohama to Odawara and then Hakone-Yumato (there are several per hour). From there, you take the Hakone Tozan railway to Gora and connect up with the "Hakone Round Course" (circuit) which uses funicular, cablecar (over the volcanic area), pirate boat, and bus back to Gora. If you are lucky, you'll see Fuji from the pirate boat on Lake Ashi. There's a "furee kippu" ("free ticket", which means all-inclusive, not free) for the circuit. It's not difficult (you follow the herd) but you need to be comfortable traveling in circumstances where you don't really know what's going on (e.g., the Tozan train reverses direction at one point). The "Romance Car" from Shinjuku in Tokyo just gets you to Hakone-Yumato.

If you start from Tokyo, I'd recommend going to Fuji Five Lakes on an organized tour. Tourist hotels can book you. To do it yourself, take one of the express buses (from Shinjuku, Tokyo, or Shibuya stations) to Kawaguchiko. The lake is right there, and you can take a boat ride, go up the ropeway, local buses etc.

I don't personally see the point of going to the Fifth Station (as lots of tours do): your goal is to look at the mountain (preferably from a lake), not drive part way up it.

I've done the Hakone circuit as described above, but for the Five Lakes I rented a car and took several days over it and visited all the lakes. I think the view from Kawaguchiko is as good as any. I've been to Hakone 4 times and never once glimpsed the mountain from there.

Edited by someotherguy

If you want to do it from Yokohama, say after leaving the ship (and dumping your luggage somehwere), then I'd suggest going to Hakone. Use http://www.hyperdia.com/ to find a convenient train from Yokohama to Odawara and then Hakone-Yumato (there are several per hour). From there, you take the Hakone Tozan railway to Gora and connect up with the "Hakone Round Course" (circuit) which uses funicular, cablecar (over the volcanic area), pirate boat, and bus back to Gora. If you are lucky, you'll see Fuji from the pirate boat on Lake Ashi. There's a "furee kippu" ("free ticket", which means all-inclusive, not free) for the circuit. It's not difficult (you follow the herd) but you need to be comfortable traveling in circumstances where you don't really know what's going on (e.g., the Tozan train reverses direction at one point). The "Romance Car" from Shinjuku in Tokyo just gets you to Hakone-Yumato.

If you start from Tokyo, I'd recommend going to Fuji Five Lakes on an organized tour. Tourist hotels can book you. To do it yourself, take one of the express buses (from Shinjuku, Tokyo, or Shibuya stations) to Kawaguchiko. The lake is right there, and you can take a boat ride, go up the ropeway, local buses etc.

I don't personally see the point of going to the Fifth Station (as lots of tours do): your goal is to look at the mountain (preferably from a lake), not drive part way up it.

I've done the Hakone circuit as described above, but for the Five Lakes I rented a car and took several days over it and visited all the lakes. I think the view from Kawaguchiko is as good as any. I've been to Hakone 4 times and never once glimpsed the mountain from there.

Thank you so much,

Your advice is spot on. Exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.

We are quite happy to follow the herd and have visited Japan on a cruise before and done mostly independent trips on our own. We enjoy finding our own way around and meeting local people. Everyone in Japan was friendly and helpful and we are so pleased to be returning this year.

All the best,

Libby