The Excellent, the Good and the Not so good PG Reunion July 26 th

Emdee

The excellent, the good and the not so good PG Reunion July 26th

I will be posting this in parts as it is a lot to write.

The excellent

Service was spectacular as usual. At the bars, dining, in the cabins. As I have always said the staff are the mainstay of the ship and they give the ship its awards.

Dining management is superb. The team led by Francis Rivas, and his two second in commands Mark and the newly minted head waiter Ryann, run L'Etoile like a well oiled machine but with warmth and plenty of human kindness. Their teamwork and efficiency is top notch. Congratulations to young Ryann who always greeted us with his trademark huge smile and even remembered to tell me when the menu which has the most items I am allergic to was and proceeded to arrange a replacement meal. I have watched his progression from a very young waiter under Ivan's tutelage. Mark goes about his business quietly and efficiently bringing added value to the end result. Thank you, Mark for everything, especially for the delicious warm cheese rolls that DD loved! The PG would not be the same without the three of you. Christian in Le Grill and Randy in La Veranda have both come into their own as restaurant managers. Christian, with his quiet smile and twinkling eyes can often be seen pitching in to help the staff. I must personally thank him for overseeing a private al fresco dinner for my group. He made it very special. I have only known Randy for 6 months but in that time I can see he is an excellent find. Staff take their cues from management and staff like Juben, Rudolpho, Joey and Marlon to name a few, give their all to make sure the experience is superlative. All of the Dining staff have a wonderful attitude towards passengers. Staff and management would lead passengers by the arm to their table, providing stability on rocky seas. They quickly tried to dissipate tensions when misbehaving passengers created a scene. I could go on and on.....

Who of us PG regulars are not fond of the bar staff? Baby faced Efren, who is now a grandfather, has always been a family favourite ever since DH and he bonded in 2003 but we love all the others too. Jerome who is missing his newborn, Ray who had a family health crisis on his hands yet still provided exemplary service and Francisco who has come into his own as a Bartender. They are well complemented by Sommelier Arjay and the whole team of Asst. Bartenders and Deck Stewards too numerous to name. Vishal replaced Elmo who is enjoying a well deserved retirement, and has brought some new ideas to the PG bar. We have sailed with Vishal on the Tere Moana and he graciously offered to take us around Mauritius when we visit in January such is the friendship and warmth of PG staff!

The Gauguin and Gauginnes

Seeing this young group six months later shows a clear progression towards excellence. From a mish mash of sweet young things they have harmonized together beautifully bringing a lovely cadence to their singing. They also undertook their various and varied roles with the kindness and warmth of spirit we have grown used to receiving. As always they make the PG special and the PG would not be the same without their stellar contributions.

The wines

The wine selection is much improved. We were always able to find something drinkable from the included wines and the selection and variety encompassed many parts of the world. Even the sparkling was better than previous offerings. The reserve wine list was improved as well.

Edited by Emdee

The Food

Unfortunately, the food was very uneven.

The Grill was excellent at both lunch and dinner. Kudos to those chefs.

Most of the food in la Veranda was good or excellent though I personally preferred the menu from the second half to the first. For example the Escargot in one menu was overrun by the veggies leaving an unpleasant taste.

L'Etoile food was hit and miss. Beef was varied and excellent as was the lamb. However my DD felt the daily woks were similar to those her University provided and not worthy of a luxury line. Some menu items need to be tweaked. We are not fish eaters but heard many compliments about the fresh and tasty fish. Soups were superb, sorbets delicious, appetizers pleasing in looks and taste and desserts and petit fours were also excellent. The ice creams were a bit blah....needed a couple of tropical ones. Many thanks to the Chef for my daily diet of fried breadfruit it was much appreciated.

Lunch which I considered a weak point in the past was much improved from past PG cruises.

Food at Motu Mahana was good. Great to see the menu varied with lamb chops and chicken breasts the second day.

Canapes at the Piano bar were more varied but those given to the suites were a bit repetitive. Love the pool side cold soups, sorbet and evening mini cakes...were a nice taste treat. Tea time flambes were delish!

Edited by Emdee

New hires and Promotions

Great to see Francisco as a Bartender this has been a long time coming and well deserved, he is a talented mixologist and made some interesting drinks for DD like a Lychee pina collada.

Ryann has all the goods to be a top notch Head Waiter and deserves his position. He even remembered my allergies from being our waiter 6 months ago.

Claudine is a personable Cruise Director and has nice ways but may need to hone her interpersonal skills. I understand that replacing Michael Shapiro ( love you and miss you Michael) is an extremely hard act to follow but the PG is a small ship and there were some rumblings from unhappy staff with whom she interacts. I love her show, though.

Hotel Director Carlos with whom we enjoyed a lovely and lively dinner seems to have all the goods needed to keep this small but beloved ship # 1. Hopefully in the next month or so he will be on his way to lift the PG to the next level. He will have a tough job putting his own stamp on the ship but I feel he is the man to do it. A thorough look at procedures, menus etc would only bring added value.

This and that....a few observations and a few points of view collated from old friends and new.

Recommendations

Family style dining option at le grill. We noticed huge portions this cruise the Chow Mien could easily be served en famille also the coconut shrimp and crab cakes and salad. This could be an option for groups or larger tables only to reduce waste.

Cold towels by pool

Evian mist by the pool

No more than two special guests besides Mark Eddowes . Guests mentioned they had a hard time picking snd choosing with no down time.

Rotui juice mixes are loaded more with sugar than flavour suggest they are ditched in favour of the Oasis previously used

La palette furniture smells like pipi de chat ...while this may be positive for a wine it is not appropriate for furniture. DD was looking for the cat. Our family vocabulary has increased after listening to Daniel Baron!

Snorkel equipment should be checked ...at least 3 of our friends had broken masks and had to use vendors masks. Some of the snorkel bags too some have holes

Last day lunch needs uplifting and refreshing.

Would be nice to see fresh fruit for blending in drinks in pool bar.

Quality control issues ... a few noticed that soap in a washroom was not available in one pump and hand sanitizers need to be kept full with batteries replaced. Plus is when Francis was told the sanitizers at Motu Mahana were not working he replaced the batteries immediately. Great that The Maitre of the restos would attend to it but bad that there was no QC to make sure these essentials are checked.

Boutique had a lot of useful small gifts and souvenirs at reasonable prices

Sofa Bed in 8 th floor staterooms was larger per DD.

Love the seating near reception with two comfortable sets of sofas and chairs.

When a friend had a problem with an excursion the travel concierge listened. Once considered PG's weakest area they appear to be improving with new offerings and are more responsive to passengers.

Sofas by the pool bar constantly had people lying down (hobos?) some chairs and tables there would be nice.

Many loved the local jams at brekkie.

Bring on the waffle sticks from the IC properties they are delicious.

I eat a lot of beef and with the exception of the first night which was a New York Strip steak all other beef dishes were fantastic. My BH ate many fish dishes which she found to be wonderful and nively prepared. Soups excellent and the appraisers were very good. We didn't eat very many deserts as we are both on a low sugar / low carb diet but I did love my Crepe Susanne during tea time. Motu Mahana BBQ days were very good and agreed, the different meats on different days was great. The only suggestion I would give would be to provide a similar mixed green salad bar in Veranda for lunch as was provided on Motu Mahana. The mixed salad goodies at the motu was extensive and fresh, loved it! Would love if Ranch dressing was offered ...

As usual I found the Hollandaise sauce to be very good and I had it almost everyday. I personally like a 5 minute egg with my Eggs Benedict and my server remembered every time.

Didn't drink because of our diet with the exception of a few beers and a MaiTai so I can't say much about that .....

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Final words

Just wanted to say that while many have cast me in the role of PG cheerleader, a mantle which I happily wear , at no point am I blind in my love for the ship and it's staff. I try to be as objective and fair as I possibly can even if it means hurling a few brickbats along with my kudos.

I eat a lot of beef and with the exception of the first night which was a New York Strip steak all other beef dishes were fantastic. My BH ate many fish dishes which she found to be wonderful and nively prepared. Soups excellent and the appraisers were very good. We didn't eat very many deserts as we are both on a low sugar / low carb diet but I did love my Crepe Susanne during tea time. Motu Mahana BBQ days were very good and agreed, the different meats on different days was great. The only suggestion I would give would be to provide a similar mixed green salad bar in Veranda for lunch as was provided on Motu Mahana. The mixed salad goodies at the motu was extensive and fresh, loved it! Would love if Ranch dressing was offered ...

As usual I found the Hollandaise sauce to be very good and I had it almost everyday. I personally like a 5 minute egg with my Eggs Benedict and my server remembered every time.

Didn't drink because of our diet with the exception of a few beers and a MaiTai so I can't say much about that .....

Hi - We will be travelling on PG Sept 6 for 10 days and are doing the Keto diet - was wondering if that is what you are on as well? If so, did you feel there were many options for you to maintain LC/LS? (sorry don't mean to hijack this thread - if you would prefer to private message that is fine - thanks!)

Hi - We will be travelling on PG Sept 6 for 10 days and are doing the Keto diet - was wondering if that is what you are on as well? If so, did you feel there were many options for you to maintain LC/LS? (sorry don't mean to hijack this thread - if you would prefer to private message that is fine - thanks!)

Suggest you look at the menus that were posted by my DD.

Also, PG has someone for special diets talk to him day 1 and he will sit with you and provide alternatives if you need them. I am allergic to a number of the menu items so have gone thru this. Otherwise talk to the very capable Francis Rivas on the first night and he will put tou in the right direction.

Wasn't an issue, we had many options. I would ask the server at dinner to give me double meat and veggies but no carbs. Always a sugar free ice cream. For breakfast a double omelet with fresh made salsa or double order of Eggs Benedict but no English muffin. Lunch always had several items to choose from. I could go on and on the bottom line is you will have no problems, just ask for some modifications on how you ord r is delivered.

I must admit when I heard you had chicken parm the first night my dining expectations were lowered. That's really not a luxury dining item. Neither are woks, perhaps a lunch buffet station instead.

I would recommend fresh juices for cocktails instead of a boxed mix of any kind.

Fresh, imaginative, elegant....

Suggest you look at the menus that were posted by my DD.

Also, PG has someone for special diets talk to him day 1 and he will sit with you and provide alternatives if you need them. I am allergic to a number of the menu items so have gone thru this. Otherwise talk to the very capable Francis Rivas on the first night and he will put tou in the right direction.

Thank you I will check the menus out. It's good to know they are so flexible.

Wasn't an issue, we had many options. I would ask the server at dinner to give me double meat and veggies but no carbs. Always a sugar free ice cream. For breakfast a double omelet with fresh made salsa or double order of Eggs Benedict but no English muffin. Lunch always had several items to choose from. I could go on and on the bottom line is you will have no problems, just ask for some modifications on how you ord r is delivered.

That is great to hear. This is a fairly new diet for us and I have never been one to ask for special accommodation at restaurants. I am sure PG has "heard it all" when it comes to special requests :-)

I must admit when I heard you had chicken parm the first night my dining expectations were lowered. That's really not a luxury dining item. Neither are woks, perhaps a lunch buffet station instead.

I would recommend fresh juices for cocktails instead of a boxed mix of any kind.

Fresh, imaginative, elegant....

That was precisely my DD's point. However, I enjoy both the Schnitzel and the Veal or Chicken Parm myself and always order them on Crystal. There is nothing wrong with simple dishes perfectly prepared with accompaniments that left it up. It is why Crystal has both the traditional and Modern sides to their menus!

With respect to Stir fries and Woks one must keep in mind the varied clientele. There again it is the presentation and preparation that need to kick it up a notch. The PG ones were a bit blah. A good Szechwan Orange Chicken would hit the spot. They do have a pasta or wok station each day at lunch along with a carving station.

They did have fresh pineapple for blending but it is hard to obtain fresh fruit in FP on a regular basis. The F &B manager in the Bora Bora Thalasso told us that in one month each year they can neither get Tomatoes nor limes! Even luxury lines like Regent and Crystal use standard boxed juices. The PG has a fresh juice station in the morning with various veggies and fruit blended to your choice.

Thanks for your insight. My major difference of opinion is that Claudine may have tried hard but I think failed. I thought her show was very poor and she was not out and about as other cruise directors have been. IMHO she was a major disappointment.

I agree that she was not out and about. To be frank I didnt see her show this time but saw it in January and enjoyed it. Anyone after Michael Shapiro is a hard act to follow.

I would have enjoyed the chicken parm! I saw it on menu night one, but never after that. I could have ordered it one night as special request but I don't require substitutions. I don't eat fish, but the menu items are so plentiful there's always something to suit everyone's palette.

I had a food crisis more than once. I love getting a club sandwich in afternoon. Using toasted white bread is traditional, but mine continually came untoasted, and, with the ends cut off. Nice presentation, but lousy to eat. You've got to have the toasted edges otherwise everything falls out. Sandwich logistics! Also, on two mornings my blueberry pancakes were delivered via room service cold. My sister traveling with me had a delivery of cold eggs and bacon another morning. This is highly unusual for PG. On a good note, the fries are still good. The havent ruined them with some weird salt combination like everyone else is doing these days.

I agree fresh fruit juice is best, if available. The boxed and canned are too sweet. The addition of the morning Super Juice is fantastic! LOVED it!

I have to agree about the forgettable cruise director.

I'll add some drama here. I didn't enjoy Santa Rosa. Apologies. Sock hoppin all the time!

Naturalists on board were excellent.

The crew is magnificent. They make the PG so special. They're part of why we return to this magical part of the world!

We found the staff wonderful and enjoyed most of the food. I was not impressed at all with Claudine. We got off to a bad start when we wanted to leave the ship right after we boarded. She rather rudely told us that we shouldn't leave due to the muster drill, more than 2 hours later. We are used to the staff greeting us when passing -she rarely did, and it felt a little arrogant. Hopefully she warms up, or they replace her.

On an upside, I want to give a shout out to Captain Tony and his people. They tendered us safely in each port, and the afternoon at Aitutaki was something!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't drink foo foo drinks from the bar so I can't say if fresh fruit is normally used or not. However, my BH did mention numerous times the season for many flowers and fruits in not July in the South Pacific. This is a trade off of going during the cooler/drier time of year verses the more rainy/humid time of year. We typically go to the South Pacific in November - January and the flowers are more plentiful and the sunsets seem to be more dramatic. My BH loves to take pictures of flowers and there is nothing more beautiful than a fresh flower with rain drops on the surface. Trade-offs, such is life ... something to consider when your planning your trip to paradise.

I would have enjoyed the chicken parm! I saw it on menu night one, but never after that. I could have ordered it one night as special request but I don't require substitutions. I don't eat fish, but the menu items are so plentiful there's always something to suit everyone's palette.

I had a food crisis more than once. I love getting a club sandwich in afternoon. Using toasted white bread is traditional, but mine continually came untoasted, and, with the ends cut off. Nice presentation, but lousy to eat. You've got to have the toasted edges otherwise everything falls out. Sandwich logistics! Also, on two mornings my blueberry pancakes were delivered via room service cold. My sister traveling with me had a delivery of cold eggs and bacon another morning. This is highly unusual for PG. On a good note, the fries are still good. The havent ruined them with some weird salt combination like everyone else is doing these days.

I agree fresh fruit juice is best, if available. The boxed and canned are too sweet. The addition of the morning Super Juice is fantastic! LOVED it!

I have to agree about the forgettable cruise director.

I'll add some drama here. I didn't enjoy Santa Rosa. Apologies. Sock hoppin all the time!

Naturalists on board were excellent.

The crew is magnificent. They make the PG so special. They're part of why we return to this magical part of the world!

The chicken Parm was good, loved it ...

Ugh, what is it with this chicken parm? You guys are killing me.

The luxury is in the location

The luxury is in the service

The luxury is not in the food. Though some of the food is good and other items excellent.

You will need to go with the flow here to have an enjoyable experience...if great food is imperative go on Crystal.

Beware the FP flu ....if you get it nothing will assuage the longing to return other than another trip.

The luxury is in the location

The luxury is in the service

The luxury is not in the food. Though some of the food is good and other items excellent.

You will need to go with the flow here to have an enjoyable experience...if great food is imperative go on Crystal.

Beware the FP flu ....if you get it nothing will assuage the longing to return other than another trip.

Great point, Emdee. We have gone on several large cruise ships and realized we were being served basically banquet food and have been totally satisfied because of the experience of the vacation.

On this ship, they are still preparing for well over 100 at about the same time, and if they can get some of these meals good to very good, we will be very pleased. We especially like the idea of many meals of local seafood, although I do love a good chicken parm!

Doug

Great point, Emdee. We have gone on several large cruise ships and realized we were being served basically banquet food and have been totally satisfied because of the experience of the vacation.

On this ship, they are still preparing for well over 100 at about the same time, and if they can get some of these meals good to very good, we will be very pleased. We especially like the idea of many meals of local seafood, although I do love a good chicken parm!

Doug

Doug...its all in the attitude and expectations . I too have been and still go on mega ships. Each had its own experience and validity. Yet, I enjoy luxury lines like Crystal and Regent as well as Premium lines like Azamara.

It is dangerous reading my reviews because my perspective is of a repeater.

Also the French Chef is considered to be excellent.

Plenty of local fish...moonfish ..dont miss the demo, tuna, mahi mahi. Lobster is Canadian. I believe scallops are local. I am allergic to fish of the tuna family plus a number of other things, have a limited digestive tolerance for beef , only eat the lamb I bring home from the farm myself...so yes i enjoy my Chicken Parm.

Emdee,

I definitely have the flu. We are going on PG again next July. Thanks for the review. :)