Passport question

Dinkle

Hello I am going on a western Caribbean cruise which includes Belize, Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay and Cozumel. I wanted to know if a passport is required on a closed loop cruise for lawful permanent residents

Ps. I know I should travel with one but I am having trouble with mine and would like advice from people who have been to these places

Hello I am going on a western Caribbean cruise which includes Belize, Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay and Cozumel. I wanted to know if a passport is required on a closed loop cruise for lawful permanent residents

Ps. I know I should travel with one but I am having trouble with mine and would like advice from people who have been to these places

"lawful permanent resident" of where?

Passport requirements are usually based on what kind of citizenship you have, not where you live.

I am a permanent resident of the U.S but I am a citizen of Trinidad

It's my understanding that everyone (regardless of citizenship) must have a valid passport to enter Belize.

You can do a search online for "passport requirement - (country) Trinidad citizen" That would give you some information.

I believe you can only use a Birth Cert and drivers licence if you are a natural US citizen. Everyone else needs a passport. Best to check FAQ for your cruise line and the passport requirements.

Even if citizens from Trinidad can enter the countries you are visiting without passport I wouldn't bet that the people at the cruise terminal know that.

Plenty of people have been stopped boarding when they have valid paperwork due to people at port not understanding the requirements.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I had called in and they had said I don't need a visa, but they had no idea on the passport. Can anyone confirm that because the consensus I am getting is as long as I am a lawful U.S permanent resident all I need is my green card and my drivers license

A Visa is not the same as a passport. In many cases you don't need a visa but still need a passport. And someone on cruise line help line may have no clue. Personally I don't think you will be allowed to cruise with green card and drivers licence, I wouldn't have confidence that the check in people would understand the requirements.

The government website says your green card is what you need to travel, but countries you are travelling to doesn't have to except and could require a passport.

Have you tried googling other people's experience?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Edited by kerryincork

It's my understanding that everyone (regardless of citizenship) must have a valid passport to enter Belize.

You can do a search online for "passport requirement - (country) Trinidad citizen" That would give you some information.

Not true, at least for US citizens, who can visit Belize on a closed loop cruise using a birth certificate and drivers license. Obviously the OP is not a US citizen, but your general statement about everyone needing a passport to visit Belize is incorrect.

You can't rely on online search results for this type of question because websites, including the US Department of State's site often have missing or incorrect information about special circumstances such as exceptions for closed loop cruises originating in the US .

It might be the re-entry into the USA that might be the problem

Contact US Immigration or CBP office & ask

No, it's the other way around. Under US law LPRs can reenter the US with only their Green Card. It's the countries being visited that may require a US LPR to hold a passport issued by the country of which they are a citizen.

You might find this site to be of interest. You input your citizenship, your country of residence, and the country you want to visit. The result tells you what you need.

https://www.visahq.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's likely that the referenced site does not have accurate information for the OP's circumstances. This is first a passport, not a visa, issue and they are unlikely to delineate the special circumstances affecting the OP.

A Visa is not the same as a passport. In many cases you don't need a visa but still need a passport. And someone on cruise line help line may have no clue. Personally I don't think you will be allowed to cruise with green card and drivers licence, I wouldn't have confidence that the check in people would understand the requirements.

The government website says your green card is what you need to travel, but countries you are travelling to doesn't have to except and could require a passport.

Have you tried googling other people's experience?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'll try that next

It's likely no one here can answer your question unless your question is read by someone who happens to match your citizenship and itinerary, which is a longshot. Under US law you can take the cruise with your Green Card, but there is the possibility that one or more of the countries you are visiting will require you to have a passport, or even a passport and visa. The only way to find out may be to contact an embassy or consulate of each country you're visiting, but even then if you talk to the wrong person you may very well get the wrong answer, as it's a somewhat esoteric issue.

Good luck.

Every time I return to the States via air or sea, I have to show green card and my foreign passport.

That's not true per CBP regulations. Your Green Card by itself, unless you have been out of the US for more than a year, is all you need to reenter the country.

Here's the official CBP web page documenting the requirements. In particular note the following paragraph:

United States (U.S.) LPRs do not need a passport to enter the U.S. as per 8 CFR 211.1(a), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---documents-needed-for-lawful-permanent-residents

If you're having "passport issues" it's best not to leave the US until you have them worked out. You may be denied re-entry. You need your visa and foreign passport to re enter.

Visas will depend on your citizenship country and destination. The US requirements for birth certificate only on closed loop cruises do not apply.

If you're having "passport issues" it's best not to leave the US until you have them worked out. You may be denied re-entry. You need your visa and foreign passport to re enter.

Visas will depend on your citizenship country and destination. The US requirements for birth certificate only on closed loop cruises do not apply.

The regulations make it clear that a Lawful Permanent Resident may re-enter the US with their green card as pointed out by njhorseman, they will not be denied re-entry for not having a passport. The potential issue is what the ports being visited require and that depends on the citizenship of the traveler. (And it is possible that the same might apply for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise. If a port being visited requires a passport for cruise ship passengers, such as Cuba, then it doesn't matter that it's a closed loop cruise a passport is needed and if you don't have one you are denied boarding.)

• 2 weeks later...
The regulations make it clear that a Lawful Permanent Resident may re-enter the US with their green card as pointed out by njhorseman, they will not be denied re-entry for not having a passport. The potential issue is what the ports being visited require and that depends on the citizenship of the traveler. (And it is possible that the same might apply for a US citizen on a closed loop cruise. If a port being visited requires a passport for cruise ship passengers, such as Cuba, then it doesn't matter that it's a closed loop cruise a passport is needed and if you don't have one you are denied boarding.)

I've known coworkers denied reentry, and took about a week to get straightened out. You're making assumptions about what "passport issues" may be

If you are a U.S. green card holder (lawful permanent resident), the right to travel outside the U.S. and return is one of the privileges that comes with your status. However, that does not mean that your reentry is guaranteed. You will need to take care to bring the proper documents, maintain your U.S. residence, and be aware of the risks of being found inadmissible or deportable upon your reentry.

I've known coworkers denied reentry, and took about a week to get straightened out. You're making assumptions about what "passport issues" may be

If you are a U.S. green card holder (lawful permanent resident), the right to travel outside the U.S. and return is one of the privileges that comes with your status. However, that does not mean that your reentry is guaranteed. You will need to take care to bring the proper documents, maintain your U.S. residence, and be aware of the risks of being found inadmissible or deportable upon your reentry.

Interesting that your coworkers were denied re-entry when the DHS regulations say that a green card is sufficient for re-entry from a closed loop cruise.

Interesting that your coworkers were denied re-entry when the DHS regulations say that a green card is sufficient for re-entry from a closed loop cruise.

The poster you were answering only said it was important to have the proper documentation. Of course green card holders have the right to re-enter - as does anyone on a closed loop with BC and drivers license -- but those will not immediately get them on a plane, which might be what he was talking about.

In any case, having a "right" and being able to exercise that " right" without delay can be two different things.

The poster you were answering only said it was important to have the proper documentation. Of course green card holders have the right to re-enter - as does anyone on a closed loop with BC and drivers license -- but those will not immediately get them on a plane, which might be what he was talking about.

In any case, having a "right" and being able to exercise that " right" without delay can be two different things.

Yes, I understand that and I can see where the coworkers might have difficulty with air travel, but we were discussing returning from a closed loop cruise with a green card (I am not familiar with the statute that njhorseman cites, so I do not know if that statute covers air travel also). A week delay suggests something out of the ordinary though (and it makes one wonder where they stayed in the interim).

From Royal Caribbean site:

U.S. Citizen Passport Requirement

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

Passport Requirements

A valid passport is a requirement for air travel to / from Canada, Mexico the Caribbean and Bermuda

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Also:

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to United States.

And:

Our Recommendation

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This greatly assists guests who may need to fly out of the United States to meet their ship at the next available port should they miss their scheduled embarkation in a U.S. port; guests entering the U.S. at the end of their cruise; and guests needing to fly to the U.S. before their cruise ends, because of medical, family, personal or business emergencies, missing a ship's departure from a port of call, involuntary disembarkation from a ship due to misconduct, or other reasons.

Guests who need to fly to the United States before their cruise ends will likely experience significant delays and complications related to booking airline tickets and entering the United States if they do not have a valid U.S. passport with them. For additional passport information visit www.travel.state.gov

Realize that medical issues could cause you to have to return to the US, NOT on board the ship.

On a cruise Fall 14, my mother had issues in Halifax. She was transported to a local hospital and my Dad and I got off the ship (they were 87 at the time). She was later medevaced to the US and my Dad went with her. Still needed BOTH passports.

And I needed mine to fly home.

IMO, it is STUPID to travel outside the US without a passport.

And if you are having passport trouble, travel is not indicated.