Packed Lunch

rols

It's been a while since we cruised Silversea, been on Seabourn the last few years. The latter kindly offers, if you ask them ahead, to pack you a carry out lunch if you're heading out on your own or on a tour without food. Just a couple of sandwiches and a bit of fruit, that kind of thing. Does Silversea do this, I can't remember?

Silversea does very nice box lunches. We had to spend most of the day away from the Silver Wind two weeks ago to see Norwegian medical folks. We asked our Butler to arrange for box lunches. He first checked to make sure Bergen Norway allowed ship food to be taken ashore--Bergen did. The morning we left the ship, our Butler delivered two very nice box lunches to our suite in Cold box containers; inside was a nice club sandwich, potato chips/crisps, yogurt, canned grapefruit juices, and way too many cookies/even two brownies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wes' experience is the same as ours was. The butler checked to determine if it was permissible to take food off the ship in the port and in our case it was so he coordinated the lunch which he brought to our room.

Yes, there are places where you can take food off the ship and other places where you can't. This is one that can change overtime so you may hear about a place where previously it was not permitted and it is today and the reverse is true as well.

Keith

Thanks for all the replies - we shall plan on doing that on a couple of our trips we think it would make sense. The only countries I've ever found to have strict rules about people bringing in packed food are the USA and Australia. On this trip we're heading around Europe where I've not yet met an issue. I suspect if one was carting 2 tonnes of uncooked chicken you might be asked a few questions, but a club sandwich and a diet coke usually passes muster. The ship is usually also quite good at pointing out places they can't provide such a service, and I'm happy to hear they do provide it where they can.

Those of course are famous last words and I'm sure my vittles will now be denied worldwide.

Edited by rols
packaged and packed are not the same thing

We don't ask for boxed lunches. We prefer to sample local foods when and where it makes sense. Granted there have been a few port cities where we've passed on local foods but in Europe we've felt very comfortable eating on the local economy.

We don't ask for boxed lunches. We prefer to sample local foods when and where it makes sense. Granted there have been a few port cities where we've passed on local foods but in Europe we've felt very comfortable eating on the local economy.

That is a very good habit to get into adding you will get a chance to talk to locals.

Also when a ship leave late evening, to go ashore and have a nice sit-down dinner. It adds to the experience and you bring home more lasting memories....

We ask our butler to arrange for a box lunch. It provides added security for a person with low blood sugar! In addition, we have given the cookies and or brownies to our guides and bus driver who immediately devour them.

And I don't have to deal with a hangry person, who isn't himself and needs a snickers bar.

Thanks for all the replies - we shall plan on doing that on a couple of our trips we think it would make sense. The only countries I've ever found to have strict rules about people bringing in packed food are the USA and Australia. On this trip we're heading around Europe where I've not yet met an issue. I suspect if one was carting 2 tonnes of uncooked chicken you might be asked a few questions, but a club sandwich and a diet coke usually passes muster. The ship is usually also quite good at pointing out places they can't provide such a service, and I'm happy to hear they do provide it where they can.

Those of course are famous last words and I'm sure my vittles will now be denied worldwide.

New Zealand also did not allow it when we were on the Spirit February 2015, doubt they have changed.

At some ports we saw they were rummaging through backpacks and removing people's snacks, with a shaming tone used as pax had been instructed not to bring anything.

Yes New Zealand does not allow packaged food to be taken off the ship. In the end, the cruise line will know and as already mentioned the butler will verify this.

One thing I have learned in our travels is that rules change. In other words, it doesn't matter if food was allowed or prohibited to be taken off the ship last year. What matters are the rules when you actually are sailing. Rules can change and they can go in other direction. Same for other items; even Visas.

Keith

Many places have agricultural regulations in place including Hawaii. You can check the restrictions online which are updated frequently. In some ports you will see amnesty signs warning you to get rid of the food or face a fine if caught and they have a disposal bin next to the sign. You would be amazed how much food is pitched into those bins even when cruise ships print it out on their ships activity papers. Why face a fine and humiliation for not complying?

They also have dog sniffers looking for contraband.

New Zealand also did not allow it when we were on the Spirit February 2015, doubt they have changed.

At some ports we saw they were rummaging through backpacks and removing people's snacks, with a shaming tone used as pax had been instructed not to bring anything.

I should have added NZ to my USA and Australia list in the post, but I always forget they are actually different places :D! I wouldn't even think of taking food off the ship at any of those places, and the paperwork in the room makes it perfectly clear (as do the daily announcements). However much of the rest of the world, especially the places you drive across borders with a picnic hamper in your car, are pretty sanguine about it.

A little thread drift: When we traveled to NZ, and then Australia, I researched the food restrictions at the time because when it is hot and I walk a lot, due to an annoying medical condition I need to take in extra salt ( not just water) or I risk passing out. I usually take Pringles or Pretzels ( with extra salt) with me, or a super salty sausage item, plus of course liquid.

I read that you can get a special doctor's letter to bring with you and present, e.g., if you are diabetic or have other needs that cannot be accomodated on an excursion, where there is often no shop, or a shop but no time to stand in a long line, or there is no salty junk food, and the ship is forbidden from packing food for you. But authorities may still have discretion to say no, as is their right of course, it is their country. Or, they may require the food be packaged and sealed, as in a protein bar which you may or may not be out of, or someone may not know the rules, or otherwise fuss.

In one port they were even confiscating people's sealed diet coke cans and breath mints.

So I just took a little baggie with contents of half a little salt shaker, and was glad I had it to nibble on on an excursion that droned on for 6 hours in the heat with only water available and nothing else. Boring, and not as fun or pleasant as a SS picnic basket, but functional. I suppose diabetics who ideally should eat regularly could temporarily suspend the basal rates on their insulin pumps and/or eat a series of allowed glucose tablets, or we could all just take private excursions.

They were so strict in NZ and Australia on that cruise it was a factor in my deciding not to cruise again there in their summertime, as it is just another thing to worry about.

In Europe they have not been interested in the contents of my backpacks coming off luxury ships, very pleasant, ship salty sandwiches allowed, and easy to stay comfortable and conscious :)

Please don't bring anything ashore in Bermuda except totally dead processed plastic packaged stuff, although why anyone would eat that I don't understand, we've had lots of problems over the years with nasty imported bugs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please don't bring anything ashore in Bermuda except totally dead processed plastic packaged stuff, although why anyone would eat that I don't understand, we've had lots of problems over the years with nasty imported bugs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's useful to know jollyjones. We will be heading your way in November and will now make sure we don't take anything off the ship, other than water which I presume will be ok.

Rp

Yes New Zealand does not allow packaged food to be taken off the ship. In the end, the cruise line will know and as already mentioned the butler will verify this.

One thing I have learned in our travels is that rules change. In other words, it doesn't matter if food was allowed or prohibited to be taken off the ship last year. What matters are the rules when you actually are sailing. Rules can change and they can go in other direction. Same for other items; even Visas. Keith

Agree with the wise and smart Keith, plus others who have posted that rules can change. ASK!! Don't be shy in seeking to try this potential option. During our first Silversea cruise in doing the Norway coast, we had the ship do boxed lunches for us twice. It worked very well. Lots of advantages, including saving time and money. That's especially true when in rural-type areas of Norway and with their high, HIGH costs in that scenic country. Below is a view for one of the great spots where we enjoyed this lunch from the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,699 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We went to the end of the road as our “adventure” in the dramatic Lofoten Islands with our rental car. We stopped in a village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. This is a simple name for a charming fishing town with spectacular scenery. We brought along box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock with water and sights all around us. This was our dining view with the busy and noisy birds providing entertainment!!:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

• 1 month later...

Closing out this thread. We did take a packed lunch off the ship in St Petersburg. We ended up sitting on a bench in the wonderful grounds of the Peterhof palace eating a couple of sandwiches, looking at the fountains and feeling completely un-rushed having our picnic.

Way too much food was provided, the chocolate bars went to our tour guide and driver's children, the cookies disappeared over the next couple of nights, I'll run them off eventually.

So if you're out for a day and think there might be a nice place to stop and sit, enjoy the view and have a spot of lunch, don't feel too bad bringing it with you.

Ditto to what Wes, Keith, and Terry said. Ask your butler and they will determine if it is allowed.

I generally like to eat local food, but there are places in the world where it is not available, or if available, not advisable. In that case, a packed lunch is a great option, though they always pack too much food, and specifically too many carbs for me.