Request to Mgt: Spirit Renovation

Observer

Apparently, Spirit will be undergoing a major renovation next year. I will presume to offer two suggestions for inclusions:

First, install an all-day cafe like Arts Cafe on Muse. If necessary, put it in the Stars space (a generally underused space, in my experience.) It would be very nice to have a spot on Spirit where one could stop by at any (reasonable) hour for a coffee (including in paper cup!) or muffin or pastry or a couple of small sandwiches like those served at afternoon tea. Seabourn Square is such a place.

Second, improve the generally available steam/sauna facilities in the spa. Currently, as I recall, there are very small co-ed steam and sauna rooms available without charge to all passengers. Silversea can do better -- and does do better on most other ships.

Others may disagree with these suggestions or have other priorities.

To be honest while I don't mind the notion of an Arts Cafe I don't support replacing the Stars Supper Club. One, we like Stars. Two, the location of Arts ought to be more central and easier to get to. Not sure where that might be on the Spirit.

To be honest while I don't mind the notion of an Arts Cafe I don't support replacing the Stars Supper Club. One, we like Stars. Two, the location of Arts ought to be more central and easier to get to. Not sure where that might be on the Spirit.

Could we compromise? :)

Stars could be a light snack/coffee bar from, say, 9 am until 5 pm, and then become the supper club for the evening?

As I have remarked previously, I really miss on most Silversea ships a place like Seabourn Square or Crystal Bistro where one can stop by for a quick, light, cold snack or a cup of coffee or tea. Regent has a similar facility on its post-Navigator ships, but I can't recall what it's called.

The Main Bar could have a space for the "Arts Cafe". The area is way underused during the day. Another underused space is the boutique area! They could certainly spare some of that unused space! You could shoot a cannon off down there and not hit anyone.

The Main Bar could have a space for the "Arts Cafe". The area is way underused during the day. Another underused space is the boutique area! .

Agreed!

Another desideratum: public toilets on deck 11 easily accessible from observation lounge. This was clearly an oversight when the ship was designed. I imagine that the only way to provide such facilities would be to remove one of the suites on deck 11. I doubt they will do this, but it's fun to dream.

The Main Bar could have a space for the "Arts Cafe". The area is way underused during the day. Another underused space is the boutique area! They could certainly spare some of that unused space! You could shoot a cannon off down there and not hit anyone.

The Main Bar area certainly makes sense. While it gets some traffic before and after dinner it's virtually empty during the day. And don't get me started on the boutique area. :o

Observer; thanks for starting this thread and encouraging Spirit refurb discussion, tho think wripro is right it may be too late for any dry dock changes to be implemented--but u never know if u do not ask.

We agree with the Muse Arts concept on Silversea (where u could grab a cub of joe, fruit, pastry, yogurt) after dining times and before 6:30 am, after this time you can go to the Panorama Lounge or main bar/observation lounge to get your coffee fix--like u can do now on the Spirit, Wind, other SS ships.

Regent has their Coffee Connection where 24/7 you can go for fresh coffee, expression, cappuccino, latte, as well as grab cookies, pastries, etc.

For the near 3 weeks we were on the Wind this July, in order to get fresh coffee at 5 a.m. We used the room service dining card and placed it out late at nite. We would much rather just go to a Silversea Arts like concept while on board and help ourselves than use room service.

Wethinks Observer's post above is a reasonable suggestion for the Spirit and use of the Stars space for an Arts like space on board.

Absolutely Observer we second and third you on target Spirit Spa unisex improvement suggestion. At the bare minimum, Silversea should offer a men's only shower vs this shared unisex shower in the sauna/stream room there is today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't support replacing the Stars Supper Club. One, we like Stars. Two, the location of Arts ought to be more central and easier to get to. Not sure where that might be on the Spirit.

Agree with Randy as to not wanting to be losing the Stars Supper Club. We really loved that option, environment, food, drinks, etc., during our June Silver Spirit sailing. While we have not sailed on one of their ships with a "Seabourn Square", I have heard great feed-back on that idea/concept if located in an ideal, central location. That 5th floor The Bar could be an option to be better optimized during the hours other its usual pre-dinner peak period.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,690 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I'm pretty sure its too late to make any changes to the scheduled work on the upcoming dry dock.

My thoughts too - if this has been scheduled already every duct, cable, fitting, fixture, weld and carpet join has been diagrammed and spec'ed, the entire design and its effect on the ship has been simulated and e-tested and I would really doubt there's any way to make anything bar a minor change now.

When is the renovation scheduled? We're new to this board, since we've been Regent cruisers for several year, and have over 100 nights on Regent. We've never cruised on Silversea. We're considering a unique Gulf of Finland cruise next July 24th on the Silver Spirit, and would like to know whether that will be before or after the renovation. Thanks.

BTW, if anyone can post a link to a thread on the Silversea board comparing Silversea and Regent (and I'm sure such a thread exists), that would be helpful. We have a current thread on the Regent board on this subject, but we suspect that Silversea cruisers may have a different view on this subject that Regent cruisers.

When is the renovation scheduled? We're new to this board, since we've been Regent cruisers for several year, and have over 100 nights on Regent. We've never cruised on Silversea. We're considering a unique Gulf of Finland cruise next July 24th on the Silver Spirit, and would like to know whether that will be before or after the renovation. Thanks.

BTW, if anyone can post a link to a thread on the Silversea board comparing Silversea and Regent (and I'm sure such a thread exists), that would be helpful. We have a current thread on the Regent board on this subject, but we suspect that Silversea cruisers may have a different view on this subject that Regent cruisers.

The work is scheduled for the spring 2018. It will be before your cruise and any kinks should have been worked out long before you embark.

I also have more than 100 nights on Regent, but not for a number of years. I punted when they required everyone to pay for tours they may not want. I also have lots of Silversea nights.

I prefer Silversea for reasons in addition to pricing. The ships are smaller and more intimate than most Regent ships. I think the food and service are quite comparable, but every suite on Silversea ships has butler service, which can be quite convenient. I travel solo. I gather you are a couple. Regent used to have very attractive single supplements (45% tops). Now I believe they have high supplements -- with the exception of a few cruises that have 50% supplements. Silversea is now offering scores of cruises with 25% supplements.

I do not think you will be disappointed in Silversea.

Do a search. I'm sure there are literally HUNDREDS of what I call these lawsuit threads. One line vs. another line.

As mentioned there are many threads asking for comparisons.

Just my own two cents.

When deciding whether or not to sail a line or even ship I am not familiar with I do the following:

Read about the line/ship including the cruise lines web site, reviews, writeups in books such as the Douglas Ward book on cruising and review on places such as CC. I look for common comments. I use the 80/20 rule. If 80% of the people rate something highly then I accept it has fact until I experience it myself.

I speak with people who I respect and know me about the line/ship.

Finally, if my TA has sailed the line/ship we talk about it.

In the end, the one opinion that matters is your own.

Also, just because someone has sailed both lines and gives a comparison it doesn't mean that what they say is better is better for you. It was only better for them.

And finally on many lines including the two you mentioned many of the ships are very different from one another. Let's say someone sailed the Shadow that doesn't mean if you are looking at the Muse that their comments are applicable.

Also if someone has sailed a cruise line once keep in mind that no two cruises are the same. In other words if I sail on a cruise line and even ship 30 times all of my experiences are not the same.

Keith