Are car seats needed in Grand Cayman?

Live2cruise98

We are traveling with a 16mo old to Grand Cayman and not using a cruise excursion. Do we need a car seat for transportation? I have read that we do and then some others that we don't need it. We were not planning to take the car seat with us on the cruise. Any info is appreciated!

We are traveling with a 16mo old to Grand Cayman and not using a cruise excursion. Do we need a car seat for transportation? I have read that we do and then some others that we don't need it. We were not planning to take the car seat with us on the cruise. Any info is appreciated!

I'd say for the safety of the child, you would want one and you would want to travel with your own. Public transportation (taxis) are not required to have them. I suspect they would allow you to use transportation without one but why risk it? I know it's a hassle. We used to travel with one until the kids were big enough to not need a booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Family forum has plenty of threads discussing this topic already. The search function is a wonderful tool.

A car seat for your child is required by law in Grand Cayman, but do people just use car seats because it's a law?

The laws of physics are not suspended because you're on vacation.

Edited by 6rugrats

I'm not sure why there are often posts discussing the possibility of cabs without seatbelt in the Caribbean or Mexico. Most cars manufactured since 1966 have seat belts. Cab drivers aren't driving classic cars.

I have never seen a cab without seatbelt in either place. If the cab didn't have seat belts, simply take a different one that does.

Really? Is bringing a car seat that much of an inconvenience to ensure the safety of your child? I'm not a parent but sounds pretty selfish and irresponsible to me. But hey what do I know.

Really? Is bringing a car seat that much of an inconvenience to ensure the safety of your child? I'm not a parent but sounds pretty selfish and irresponsible to me. But hey what do I know.

Most shuttles and buses in the US and other countries don't have seat belts (or space) for car seats. I heard mixed things about GC which is why I asked. Not being selfish or irresponsible, just asking a question which is what I thought these boards were for...people who have more experience with cruising and ports to provide insight and recommendations. Not sure how your response was helpful.

I'd say for the safety of the child, you would want one and you would want to travel with your own. Public transportation (taxis) are not required to have them. I suspect they would allow you to use transportation without one but why risk it? I know it's a hassle. We used to travel with one until the kids were big enough to not need a booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you - I appreciate your response. We are planning to take a shuttle/bus

Never had a cab that didn't have seat belts. Shuttles and tour buses don't usually have them.

You have been lucky. In 20 years of cruising I think I can count on one hand the number of cabs that have had seatbelts.

You have been lucky. In 20 years of cruising I think I can count on one hand the number of cabs that have had seatbelts.

Sorry but I disagree on this one.

Just posted on a similar thread to this regarding seatbelts in vehicles in the Caribbean. Many of the islands have laws requiring seatbelt use (not in buses/shuttles). Rarely are those laws enforced, but I have used frequently in cabs. Some laws include front and back seat passengers. It's your choice to use or not.

so, you've never traveled with a kid and a car seat in a foreign country...

then you would probably not know that most foreign cars do not have locking seat belts, and that you would need to bring a locking clip with you to secure your US car seat. Many US people wouldn't know it beforehand either... And without built-in lockoffs or a locking clip, you will not be able to install your US car seat if the seat belt in the car does not lock.

Also, foreign cars may or may not have latch/isofix so you could secure your car seat with that, but if your kid is over 40#, you can't use latch/isofix to install most seats anyway.

Also, a lot of convertible car seats are 20#+, so traveling to the beach with a 30# kid, a stroller and a 23# seat that you may or may not be able to install in a foreign car, may in fact, become rather cumbersome. Where are you going to leave the car seat when you get to the beach?

P.S. I am a car safety and car seat fan. Yes, there are travel-friendly car seats out there.

Thank you - I appreciate your response. We are planning to take a shuttle/bus

will you be flying and taking a taxi from the airport to the port? Then I highly recommend Cosco Scenera Next for $30-40 as a travel seat. It's easily attached to a stroller, and has an easy seat belt install in US cars (not a good install with latch). If the child has his own seat on the plane, it's best to use a car seat on the plane as well.

You can also strap a car seat to a rolling suitcase or a folding luggage cart.

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+of+cosco+scenera+next+stroller&rlz=1C1VFKB_enUS697US697&oq=image+of+cosco+scenera+next+stroller&aqs=chrome..69i57.8847j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibyY_7qeTVAhUT8YMKHfS3DXsQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.babycenter.com%2Fpost%2Fa65516671%2Fno-stroller-for-22-mo-old-car-seat-in-nicaragua-other-questions&psig=AFQjCNHywCjvzKCt4QedvDuhy2y07G2B1w&ust=1503267277434535

Also check out the Travel with Children board for more tips.

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children