Booking a shorter cruise that's part of a longer one

zazou

I'm book on the October 5th Panama Canal 16 days cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam starting in San Diego. On the time of the booking, I didn't realise that this cruise was part of a longer cruise, the September 30th Panama cruise starting in Vancouver.

It's my first time beeing in this situation. Usually, on the first day on NCL (first time on HAL), you can go book your specialities restaurants, your excursions, they have tours showing the boat, buying wine bundle and mostly you can go buy the thermal suite pass.

Is it going to be the same experience or all of that will be already be done in Vancouver? Are we going to have sail away party?

I'm most interrest in the thermal suite pass. Is there any chance that there is still some spot available? We doesn't seem to be able to reserve it online. I would have prefer booking it inboard as to use some of my OBC. What do you suggest?

Also, I read that San Diego can be a difficult port to embark. Do you think that would be the same if many people will embark on Vancouver?

Thanks!

I'm book on the October 5th Panama Canal 16 days cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam starting in San Diego. On the time of the booking, I didn't realise that this cruise was part of a longer cruise, the September 30th Panama cruise starting in Vancouver.

It's my first time beeing in this situation. Usually, on the first day on NCL (first time on HAL), you can go book your specialities restaurants, your excursions, they have tours showing the boat, buying wine bundle and mostly you can go buy the thermal suite pass.

Is it going to be the same experience or all of that will be already be done in Vancouver? Are we going to have sail away party?

I'm most interrest in the thermal suite pass. Is there any chance that there is still some spot available? We doesn't seem to be able to reserve it online. I would have prefer booking it inboard as to use some of my OBC. What do you suggest?

Also, I read that San Diego can be a difficult port to embark. Do you think that would be the same if many people will embark on Vancouver?

Just the other day we had a poster concerned about the opposite thing about this cruise (being on the 5 day Vancouver to San Diego portion and not being able to book some things).

First, I think boarding in SD should be less hectic as a number of people will already be onboard, but I would still expect a good number of boarders.

Second, you should still experience the normal first day activities (sail-away parties, welcome aboard activities and the Mariner welcome party)

Third, you could experience some sold out items (like certain excursions, specialty dining reservations (certain date/times), thermal Spa, etc.) It is impossible to say for certain of course. So, if there is something you really want, and can do it, I would book in advance of boarding).

I see that you said that the Thermal Spa was not avialable, and I can see that it might be a problem with Vancouver boarders getting first chance at it for the entire longer portion, but I would keep trying to book this as it may open up as you get closer to boarding day. If this does not work, do directly to the Spa as soon as you board and see if they have openings (I bet they will).

I will be getting off the day you are getting on, so will try to keep the ship in shape for you!

Find the roll call for this cruise. That way you can get to know the people that will be on your cruise. Normally somebody will organize the M&G for both segments of the cruise. Anything you want to book you can do it through HAL before your cruise, so you'll be booking things at the same time that those who are getting on in Vancouver. Enjoy your cruise.

Allan

You may need to look at the date your ship leaves Vancouver to find your roll call. This is a segmented cruise rather than a B2B and most people will likely to be on the entire cruise. I know that's how it works with my Oosterdam cruise where I'm on the first 5 days and it makes a lot more sense to have everybody for all 3 versions on the same page. It's been working fine on my roll call.

Roy

You may need to look at the date your ship leaves Vancouver to find your roll call. This is a segmented cruise rather than a B2B and most people will likely to be on the entire cruise. I know that's how it works with my Oosterdam cruise where I'm on the first 5 days and it makes a lot more sense to have everybody for all 3 versions on the same page. It's been working fine on my roll call.

Roy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426941&page=8

We were once two of about 30 people that joined the last segment of a long cruise. The group had a small lifeboat drill, but for the rest of the passengers it was just an ordinary port stop. Boarding with a larger group and nearer the beginning of the full itinerary may be more like an initial embarkation day, but I would not expect a sail away or welcome aboard party.

Edited by catl331

thank a lot everyone! this community is so great. There is always someone to explain in details the process and put at ease the OP. I will call the spa department to see if I can book in advance.

Sorry Dave, I can't believe I never thought of posting this on my roll call...

It's my first time being in this situation. Usually, on the first day on NCL (first time on HAL), you can go book your specialties restaurants, your excursions, they have tours showing the boat, buying wine bundle and mostly you can go buy the thermal suite pass.

Thanks!

I booked my thermal suite for my upcoming 7 day Alaska cruise with ship's services. I would do that if you want to make sure to get it. There is a limited # that they sell. Make sure they email you a receipt and take a copy with you on the cruise.

If you want to make sure you get these items you can book specialty restaurants on the HAL website, shore excursions, wine packages, and most spa services just not the thermal suite

We disembarked in San Diego is was easy! Vancouver embarkation is no fun! I have read many posts that San Diego is easy embarkation.

<snip>

We disembarked in San Diego is was easy! Vancouver embarkation is no fun! I have read many posts that San Diego is easy embarkation.

Bolding is mine.

Easy embarkation in San Diego? Obviously not one of my posts. Worst embarkation ever - from having to wait to find a stevedore for the luggage, snaking lineup to check in, snaking lineup to get on the ship. Two hours + from arrival to when we got on the ship :(

And reported on my live thread at the time.

I hope it is easy for you. It sure wasn't for us.

Bolding is mine.

Easy embarkation in San Diego? Obviously not one of my posts. Worst embarkation ever - from having to wait to find a stevedore for the luggage, snaking lineup to check in, snaking lineup to get on the ship. Two hours + from arrival to when we got on the ship :(

LOL you just described every embarkation we've ever had in Vancouver. Except for the time it took 4 hours because all the computers went down. Hoping our next experience in a few weeks will be better.

LOL you just described every embarkation we've ever had in Vancouver. Except for the time it took 4 hours because all the computers went down. Hoping our next experience in a few weeks will be better.

We've been through the computers down in Civitavecchia. Another reason to bring your boarding pass ;). It sure helped. No fun at all, for sure.

I can't comment on Vancouver embarkation as we have only disembarked there and both times were as smooth as glass - even helpful HAL reps. I was quite impressed.

Good luck with your embarkation - hope it all goes well :)

Bolding is mine.

We have boarded in SD several times. Has always been quite easy. Go find the thread for the SD portion of the cruise. I know it is there because I started it[emoji56]. It is getting more active as we near Dec.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been through the computers down in Civitavecchia. Another reason to bring your boarding pass ;). It sure helped. No fun at all, for sure.

I can't comment on Vancouver embarkation as we have only disembarked there and both times were as smooth as glass - even helpful HAL reps. I was quite impressed.

Good luck with your embarkation - hope it all goes well :)

Thanks, fingers crossed. I think what was most annoying about the day of the power outage, was that there wasn't even water offered. We just had to sit and wait. Having our boarding passes (which we always do) didn't matter. We had the same thing happen in Stockholm, but it didn't last as long thank goodness.

We have boarded in SD several times. Has always been quite easy. Go find the thread for the SD portion of the cruise. I know it is there because I started it[emoji56]. It is getting more active as we near Dec.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also found SD to be easy Embark (at least the couple of times that we've sailed from there)! Also thought Debark in SD was one of the easiest Ports as well! Fingers crossed for this October!

Totally agree Embark in Vancouver was a nightmare!

Bolding is mine.

All of the above and you forgot to mention the fact that only one of the two elevators was working and there was another line up there to board the ship. I never want to board in San Diego again.

All of the above and you forgot to mention the fact that only one of the two elevators was working and there was another line up there to board the ship. I never want to board in San Diego again.

Oh yes - the HAL rep telling me to take the stairs when I only had one good arm (recovering from elbow surgery).

I can normally do stairs but not in those circumstances. Our saving grace was that HAL opened up the crew entrance for us so that we went in that way. Otherwise, it probably would have been 4 hours. I've never been so exhausted after an embarkation. :(

Bolding is mine.

Not for us either! What a way to start a cruise - needed the 30 days to get over it. :)

We are also sailing out of SD on the same cruise. I've wondered the same questions you are asking. I did notice however that the roll call seems to have a LOT of people only doing the Vancouver to SD portion of the cruise. So, my guess is 1/2 the people will be getting off the ship in SD.

I've had no problem booking any of the Specialty Dining and I was able to get a Retreat Cabana for the entire cruise. I have not tried to get the Thermal Pass. I, like you thought it was only available when I got onboard.

48 days and counting :)

Roy

Are you on the October 21st Panama Cruise out of San Diego? That is my cruise! We don't have much action on our roll call, maybe that is because it is a segmented cruise?

Are you on the October 21st Panama Cruise out of San Diego? That is my cruise! We don't have much action on our roll call, maybe that is because it is a segmented cruise?

Not Roy, but if you join the roll call for the full segment there will be more action for sure ;)

I agree with Roy - when it's segmented makes more sense to have one roll call ;)