Travel Insurance

tjcletsgo

We do price comparisons, and I think it's InsuremyTrip.com lets you compare various insurance options. We've used Travel Guard and Allianz (?), but now typically just take the Princess insurance and say "yes" to insurance when we book our airfares. The downside to having multiple insurers is that you must file multiple claims if there's a problem, but we were able to get better pricing that way.

I, on the other hand always use the Princess insurance, and when I have had occasions to file a claim after having to seek medical care onboard a Princess cruise, was reimbursed 100% of my medical expenses with minimal hassle and in a timely manner.

Be careful with just taking cruise line insurance. Their medical coverage is very low. Unless you have good medical coverage under your own insurance to cover you internationally you will need higher limits than cruise line insurance covers in case you have a serious medical incident.

Be careful with just taking cruise line insurance. Their medical coverage is very low. Unless you have good medical coverage under your own insurance to cover you internationally you will need higher limits than cruise line insurance covers in case you have a serious medical incident.

========

The cruise line /Princess insurance is not the best option--coverages are lower than direct with travel insurance providers, usually costs more, and might not include non cruise travel like air, transfers, rental car, hotel for pre post cruise.

For medical, we found the best coverages at GENERALI Travel Insurance (used to be CSA and on Squaremoutn) but their website http://www.generalitravelinsurance.com has more plans & with the highest medical and evac coverages.

We have had good experiences with Nationwide's Luxury Cruise policy. It has very high medical coverage limits, along with some cruise specific provisions such as missing a port for any reason. When we filed a claim for a missed port the process was fairly straight forward and we received our checks quickly. The policies I believe are reasonably priced.

I also am not impressed with Princess's insurance. The coverage is minimal compared to 3rd party companies!

I agree one policy is not best for everyone. I book Allianz through my agent. I can wait until final payment and still have pre-existing conditions covered (special policy made specific for this agency).

What's best? Travel Insurance is based on your age, where you are going, how long you are traveling for & even your nationally (yes it could be more expensive if you are not a U.S. citizen)

Checking with a good travel agent who handles insurance is the best way to cover your travel needs and be able to advise you on, not only who is the least expensive, but which company is the best match for you and your needs. If you have booked your own air, hotel or excursions, then these would not be covered by the cruise company insurance.

Please don't skimp on this important protection of your vacation dollar. Accidents happen, weather conditions happen, last minute family situations happen.... Can you afford to lose all that money that you have paid for a vacation?

Would like to add that Princess insurance does not reimburse for prescription drugs obtained on the ship. They consider it foreign. I eventually had to get reimbursed from my drug coverage company.

My Princess insurance paid for my wife's prescriptions when my wife got sick on the Royal Princess two years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would like to add that Princess insurance does not reimburse for prescription drugs obtained on the ship. They consider it foreign. I eventually had to get reimbursed from my drug coverage company.

You may have had to get reimbursed through your drug company because that's your primary insurance provider, the Princess Insurance is secondary and requires that any primary provider pay claims first. If your primary coverage declined the payment they would have paid out for the prescription costs as it specifically states it's covered:

Accident Medical Expense/Sickness Medical Expense:

1. expenses for the following Physician-ordered medical services: services of legally quali ed Physicians and graduate nurses, charges for Hospital con nement and services, local ambulance services, prescription drugs and medicines, and therapeutic services incurred by you within one year from the date of your Sickness or Injury;

I book Allianz through my agent. I can wait until final payment and still have pre-existing conditions covered (special policy made specific for this agency).

The Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy I referenced above covers pre existing conditions as long as it's purchased prior to final cruise payment, nothing specially tied to any agency so anyone can purchase it. But having a great policy that your TA can handle is awesome, just wanted to point this out for others on the board.

The Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy I referenced above covers pre existing conditions as long as it's purchased prior to final cruise payment, nothing specially tied to any agency so anyone can purchase it. But having a great policy that your TA can handle is awesome, just wanted to point this out for others on the board.

I just looked it up and the policy you mention has a look back period:

The Pre-Existing Condition period is the number of days that the insurance company will “look back” from the day the insurance was purchased, to see if your claim is related to a pre-existing medical condition. Each of the Universal, Choice and Luxury Cruise Travel Insurance Plans has a 60-day Pre-Existing Condition period.

https://travel.nationwide.com/support/faqs-cruise.html

----------

The policy I book with my agency does not have this clause. It is very unique to the agency.

This Nationwide policy is not a good choice for those with pre-existing conditions. Similar to what Princess has with their policy.

Edited by Coral

I just looked it up and the policy you mention has a look back period:

The Pre-Existing Condition period is the number of days that the insurance company will “look back” from the day the insurance was purchased, to see if your claim is related to a pre-existing medical condition. Each of the Universal, Choice and Luxury Cruise Travel Insurance Plans has a 60-day Pre-Existing Condition period.

https://travel.nationwide.com/support/faqs-cruise.html

----------

The policy I book with my agency does not have this clause. It is very unique to the agency.

This Nationwide policy is not a good choice for those with pre-existing conditions. Similar to what Princess has with their policy.

Except for the fact that you missed this:

The Choice and Luxury Cruise Travel Insurance Plans offer coverage for pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase the plan by your final payment for the cruise, insure the full cost of your trip and are medically able to travel on the Effective Date of the plan.

Except for the fact that you missed this:

The Choice and Luxury Cruise Travel Insurance Plans offer coverage for pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase the plan by your final payment for the cruise, insure the full cost of your trip and are medically able to travel on the Effective Date of the plan.

I did see that, but the 2 parts above that bothered me. It would definitely be worth reading the entire policy on this one. I would not just accept that it covers it based on the 2 sections above the one you quoted.

Especially this part: Each of the Universal, Choice and Luxury Cruise Travel Insurance Plans has a 60-day Pre-Existing Condition period.

Depending on your own situation, for myself, I always get a pre existing "waiver" policy. So then no need to worry about it. You do need to buy on first payment. If I do cancel my trip before any penalties exist (i.e. would never make a claim), then I can cancel the insurance and get a refund. Especially want that coverage due to elderly parents who I may need to cancel for...they are never really "stable". If you have a change in blood pressure medicine during look back period and then have a heart attack....some companies could refuse to cover you or make it very difficult.

If you travel a lot, consider an annual policy. I use Global Travel, under written by AIG. It's about $510 for the year, for the two of us. Covers everything from medical to transportation. Check them out.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I did see that, but the 2 parts above that bothered me. It would definitely be worth reading the entire policy on this one. I would not just accept that it covers it based on the 2 sections above the one you quoted.

Especially this part: Each of the Universal, Choice and Luxury Cruise Travel Insurance Plans has a 60-day Pre-Existing Condition period.

This is direct from the policy itself for the Luxury plan, so I don't see any issue with this one:

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date for which You, a Traveling Companion, a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) exhibited symptoms that would have caused one to seek care or treatment; or 2) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 3) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (3) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date.

The Pre-Existing Conditions exclusion is waived if You (a) enroll in this Certificate within final Trip payment; (b) purchase this Certificate for the full cost of Your Trip; and © are medically able to travel on the Effective Date.