Wanted! Most unique experiences in Eastern Mediterranean ports- opinions please!

kathleen21

We have booked a cruise to the Mediterranean for next April. Researching ports now. I know from experience though that there is an amount of vacation fatigue that sets in- that time when all the art museums or Roman ruins start looking alike. So I'm trying to find the most unique or "best" experience in each port. We are do-it-yourself people, who like to walk and explore. Keeping in mind that we only have a "cruise ship day" in these cities (6 hours!) what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for the opinions 🤓

Rome - the only place we have been before - we have 2-3 days here pre cruise. We haven't seen the catacombs yet.. is there a "best"one to tour? Any Unusual or secret tours?

Genoa-

Marseille-

Barcelona-

Malta-

Corfu-

Olympia-

Crete-

Athens- I assume the Parthenon. What else?

Civitavecchia- don't want to go back to Rome. What is a good local option?

I may be able to help with only Malta and Corfu from your list...

Malta: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44353750&highlight=malta#post44353750

Corfu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44365633&highlight=corfu#post44365633

If you have a late flight after your cruise, check out private excursions from Civitavecchia to Orvietto & Civita de Bagnoregio. Many drivers/companies mentioned here on CC (ie. stephano, romelimo, etc etc) offer this. Then they can take you to the airport or back to Rome.

Maybe something different in Rome.... research/google Tivoli Hadrian's Villa

There are ports of call boards that you should check out.

Italy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=595

Spain.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=596

Greece.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=594

Other Mediterranean Ports.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=234

This is where I would post.

I would not things that you like as well.

Keith

Malta one of my fav ports of all times. I could live there. We just walked.

Genoa we were there a few days pre-cruise and just walked. We had a hotel near the main train station so there was plenty to see and walk to. We also took the train from there up to Lake Lugano for a couple of nights and came back before sailing. The hotel kept our luggage so all we had to take were overnight bags.

I lived in Malta and would recommend the Blue Grotto ( 30 minute boat ride ), Mosta Dome ( 2nd largest dome in Europe, **** bomb fell through the dome during mass and didn't explode, bomb now in the basement of church open to visits ) and Mdina ( first capital...no cars allowed known as the silent city, loads of history, an amazing view of Malta and also amazing little restaurants. Fontanella cafe is the best imho. Valletta has a lot of history and shopping as well.Enjoy!

The HoHo buses in Barcelona will take you around to everything you need to see. If you get a chance, tour the apartment building designed by Gaudi. It's amazing.

In Athens we took a private tour outside of Athens to the Corinth Canal which, frankly, wasn't that great but we got to see the countryside, which was beautiful. And it did take us to the amphitheater in Epidaurus--wow. Still had time to see the Parthenon but it was a long day. Well worth it, though. Check the ports of call board for reputable tour companies.

I may be able to help with only Malta and Corfu from your list...

Malta: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44353750&highlight=malta#post44353750

Corfu: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44365633&highlight=corfu#post44365633

If you have a late flight after your cruise, check out private excursions from Civitavecchia to Orvietto & Civita de Bagnoregio. Many drivers/companies mentioned here on CC (ie. stephano, romelimo, etc etc) offer this. Then they can take you to the airport or back to Rome.

Maybe something different in Rome.... research/google Tivoli Hadrian's Villa

Thanks for the tip on Hadrian's Villa. That looks like a beautiful excursion.

And now I'm settling in to read your review! The first few pages sucked me in, it's gonna be a late night tonight... thank you!

check the ports of call forums here for those ports

or google the tourism site for each port

Then you can find things to do that suit your interests

I've been getting a little overwhelmed with all the options, sometimes it helps to get opinions too. Thanks!

Malta one of my fav ports of all times. I could live there. We just walked.

Genoa we were there a few days pre-cruise and just walked. We had a hotel near the main train station so there was plenty to see and walk to. We also took the train from there up to Lake Lugano for a couple of nights and came back before sailing. The hotel kept our luggage so all we had to take were overnight bags.

I'm glad to hear that, sometimes wandering is the best. Thank you.

I lived in Malta and would recommend the Blue Grotto ( 30 minute boat ride ), Mosta Dome ( 2nd largest dome in Europe, **** bomb fell through the dome during mass and didn't explode, bomb now in the basement of church open to visits ) and Mdina ( first capital...no cars allowed known as the silent city, loads of history, an amazing view of Malta and also amazing little restaurants. Fontanella cafe is the best imho. Valletta has a lot of history and shopping as well.Enjoy!

I'm writing this all down. Is going to the Blue Grotto something we can do on our own? Thanks for the local info!

We typically combine land vacations and cruises. If you are disembarking in Civ. there are endless possibilities beside Rome.

You might want to consider renting a car in Civ. and touring Umbria and or Tuscany We have stayed in some wonderful agriturisms in Siena and in Orvieta. Use something like this to do day trips and visit the hill towns.

You could also very easily train to Cinq Terre for a few days (one day is not enough). You would not need a car. Or, you could train to Florence and spend some time there (another place where you need to spend more than a day since the environment changes so much in the evening).

I keep thinking about answers to your question but I find it difficult. As a traveler who has been to this area multiple times by land and by sea (including 10 Med cruises so far), I struggle with terms like "best" and "unique". What do you mean by them? Is your "best" the same as mine? I love museums and ancient ruins; many do not. Conversely, I've yet to visit a beach in the Med because I have zero interest in them. But something like a beach day in Santorini or Rhodes might rate highly with some.

Also, if by "unique" you mean something that not many others experience, then I caution you that with the tourist load in the places you'll be visiting, few things will really be "unique" that you can do, given your limited amount of time and consequently limited distance you can go from port in a short day.

On the other hand, if you mean "unique" as "one of a kind" then many things qualify-- is Olympia (the archaeological site that is the main reason for stopping in Katakolon) unique? Absolutely -- there is only one site of the ancient Olympic games. Will your EXPERIENCE be unique? Probably not; you'll be there with hundreds if not thousands of others.

But don't get discouraged by all this. Keep in mind that often times the most visited tourist attractions got that title for a reason -- they are the most interesting, either in terms of history, natural beauty, or simply by virtue of being a marvel of architecture. I think "secret" tours are overhyped. How secret are they, really, if they are advertised to all via the internet? And doesn't it make sense to see the really iconic sites first before side-stepping them to find the more hidden gems?

Cruisemom42 - Thank you for your thoughtful response. Probable in the interest of brevity I made my initial questions too simple. To clarify, yes, I am trying to ascertain what is unique about each port. Especially in Greece, where I have never been. And where we have four different port days. We have varied interests including art, history, churches, hiking... I am looking to create an excursion itinerary that has some variety to it, but that doesn't miss an iconic site.

Regarding "secret tours", I really mean those tours that either most people don't know about, or that require more pre-planning than most people do. The underground tour at the Vatican comes to my mind as an example.

You have a lot of experience in this area. What would you do on Corfu from 2-8pm? That gives us only 4 hours probably. We are the only ship in port that day at least.

We did a similar cruise and found the 4x4 wheel drive around Malta very good. A good drive around villages, beaches, lookouts etc then a stop at the Medina . Was worth while and different

We have booked a cruise to the Mediterranean for next April. Researching ports now. I know from experience though that there is an amount of vacation fatigue that sets in- that time when all the art museums or Roman ruins start looking alike. So I'm trying to find the most unique or "best" experience in each port. We are do-it-yourself people, who like to walk and explore. Keeping in mind that we only have a "cruise ship day" in these cities (6 hours!) what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for the opinions 🤓

Rome - the only place we have been before - we have 2-3 days here pre cruise. We haven't seen the catacombs yet.. is there a "best"one to tour? Any Unusual or secret tours?

Genoa-

Marseille-

Barcelona-

Malta-

Corfu-

Olympia-

Crete-

Athens- I assume the Parthenon. What else?

Civitavecchia- don't want to go back to Rome. What is a good local option?

We did a similar cruise and found the 4x4 wheel drive around Malta very good. A good drive around villages, beaches, lookouts etc then a stop at the Medina . Was worth while and different

Also did HOHO bus in Barcelona for a good overview without the huge cost. You can just walk around Genoa. Marseille, we did a quick 3 hour guided tour then just walked ourselves but I could recommend going to Avignon if they offer that.

Cruisemom42 - Thank you for your thoughtful response. Probable in the interest of brevity I made my initial questions too simple. To clarify, yes, I am trying to ascertain what is unique about each port. Especially in Greece, where I have never been. And where we have four different port days. We have varied interests including art, history, churches, hiking... I am looking to create an excursion itinerary that has some variety to it, but that doesn't miss an iconic site.

Regarding "secret tours", I really mean those tours that either most people don't know about, or that require more pre-planning than most people do. The underground tour at the Vatican comes to my mind as an example.

You have a lot of experience in this area. What would you do on Corfu from 2-8pm? That gives us only 4 hours probably. We are the only ship in port that day at least.

Here are a few favorites of mine for your ports -- but I would not necessarily rate them above your own personal "must sees" in each place:

Genoa- Haven't been

Marseille- Many people malign Marseille, but like Naples, I find it a slice of real life in an area that is becoming a little too precious and touristy. If you choose to visit Marseille rather than taking off for another destination, La Vieille Charité museum is interesting. It was a former "poor house" and is now a museum. Both the building and the collection are interesting. It's not far from the old port, which you should definitely spend some time walking around. It was completely restored a few years ago when Marseille was a capital of culture (forget which year). Also if you are into Roman history, there is another museum, the Musée des docks romains, that showcases the excavations of Marseilles true "old port" -- the Roman port. Not a big fan of the church up on the hill, but the cathedral in the old town is nice with a suitably impressive crypt.

Barcelona- There is too much to pack into a short day. I'd focus on Gaudi's architecture -- visit one or both of Casa Batllo and Casa Mila and then the Sagrada Familia. Guell Park an added bonus if you can fit it in.

Malta- Malta has some really unique prehistoric sites that are very well preserved. If you are looking for a unique experience, I suggest reserving in advance for a visit to the Hal Saflieni hypogeum -- only a very limited number of people are allowed in on the 8 guided tours each day. Tickets here: http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sites/hal-saflieni-hypogeum/ While there you can also visit the nearby Tarxien temples, another pre-historic site.

Corfu- With such a short time, I'd just go into Corfu town rather than trying to tour the island. There is a lovely small icon museum (in a Byzantine church) that not many people visit: http://www.antivouniotissamuseum.gr/#

Olympia- As I said earlier, the only real reason to visit Katakolon is to see Olympia. Don't miss the museum on the site as well.

Crete- Which port in Crete? There are at least 3 (it's a big island....)

Athens- Get to the Acropolis to see the Parthenon as it opens, if your ship arrives early enough. It's the only way to avoid the crowds. Take a taxi if you have to, but do it. (It's only 20 minutes or so from the port into Athens....) Don't miss: the Temple of Hephaestion in the Greek Agora (more complete than the Parthenon), the Temple of the Winds in the Roman agora.

Civitavecchia -- I love Rome, so most of the things I'd recommend are there. I've spent the equivalent of several months there and still find new things to see and do. If you have no interest (:() then consider Tivoli, Orvieto, Ostia Antica (ancient site similar to Pompeii).

Mrs Clooney-

Thanks for the ideas. I think our time in Barcelona is coming together to be a combination of a free Gaudi walking tour, the Segrada Familia, and the HOHO bus.

Cruisemom42-

The Hypogeum was just that special something I was looking for! Thank you. I set an alarm so I won't miss buying tickets. We are in Malta on a Sunday, so I am hoping to go to Mass, the Hypogeum, and then walk around town.

In Athens we are not there long, 7-30-4:30, but at least we are there early. We will head to the Parthenon area first.

As far as Crete goes, our port is Heraklion. We are scheduled there from 8-6pm.

Thank you to all for the advice. I am enjoying all this research :D