Has Anyone Cancelled a Cruise with less than a week before boarding

cruiselvr1

My DW has an appointment with a surgeon 7days before boarding. We have Princess Platium Insurance. She would like to cancel now, I told her that we should wait until the appointment. We have not been told when the operation on my DW arm will be.

Thanks

We are sailing soon on a 28 day cruise to Hawaii and South Pacific. There are folks on our roll call who were booked last year and had to cancel 3 hours before sailing due to medical issues. It happens. Be happy you have the Platinum insurance.

Yes we had to cancel once, for one passenger, but not for a medical reason, so our situation doesn't match yours exactly.

We had standard Princess insurance. We called Princess and they walked us through our options. Ours were limited.

All the best to your wife and in your decision.

ALWAYS good travel planning to carry at least minimum standard insurance.

What are the terms of the insurance? Is there a pre existing clause?

It is from a fall after we paid our fInal payment. Our only concern, is the surgery will be needed during our cruise. She isn't in a lot of pain, and she can go if the surgery is after we get back.

It is from a fall after we paid our fInal payment. Our only concern, is the surgery will be needed during our cruise. She isn't in a lot of pain, and she can go if the surgery is after we get back.

Wishing her the best!

Last year we cancelled one hour before the airport shuttle was picking us up for our Alaska cruise. Unexpected medical issue cropped at the last minute but Princess Platinum insurance plus saying "yes" to trip insurance when we booked our flights resulted in recovering almost all trip costs. If DW's medical situation is not certain, I would wait until you have more information and hope for the best. Good luck to both of you!

We had to cancel for medical reasons at 5pm the day before we were supposed to leave; DH's pacemaker/defib. was acting up. We had CSA insurance, and everything was covered including the non refundable deposit.

Either way, the Platinum Insurance from Princess will give you a full refund. I would wait if there is any chance you will be able to go.

My experience -- if you cancel for a covered reason, refund.

If you cancel for 'any' reason, princess credit towards future cruise.

In this case, I would wait for the Dr appointment, so that you potentially have

a covered reason.

Pablo222 makes an excellent point. Wait until meeting with the Dr to cancel, and let the Dr. know you'll need them to complete and certify information on the insurance forms that you'll need to submit for any refund.

The Doctor will give their recommendation follow that.

If she is just having an appt with the surgeon now and the fall took place a few months ago another week or 2 will probably not make a difference. I talk from experience of having emergency and scheduled surgeries on my arm.

If you are only cruising 7 days...she certainly can relax in that suite.

Since this surgery is not an emergency they might push out it after it being scheduled....just sayin'

Whatever the out come ...Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Edited by land lover

I had surgery 1 week before the cruise. Submitted a insurance claim to Princess Insurance. Paid in full without any hassle in a reasonable time. Do not cancel until you are sure the operation will occur. Talk it over with your Doctor. He may say you can go.

We are all hoping the medical situation will not cause you to cancel the voyage. Regardless, the fact that you did sign up for the Princess Platinum insurance and it will take care of you whatever the result of the meeting with the surgeon. A very good lesson for everyone booking a cruise.

Once experienced a death in the family while on a cruise, wasn't notified until we reached one of the ports. Had to leave and fly home. It was honestly the one (and only) time we didn't take the platinum insurance. All expenses were on us, so please, always take the insurance with hesitation.

Best of luck with your surgical plans. It will work out the way it's supposed to. Fingers crossed.

Either way, the Platinum Insurance from Princess will give you a full refund. I would wait if there is any chance you will be able to go.

If there is a pre-existing condition, Princess Platinum insurance gives you a credit for the non refunded amount. This credit can only be applied to a future cruise on Princess within a limited time frame. You will never get any money from this portion of the insurance policy, let alone a full refund. I found this out the hard way.

We had to cancel a cruise in 2012 because my husband became deathly ill. The Princess Insurance company did give us credits for the difference between what the regular insurance would have paid and the full amount paid (less the price of the insurance - basically the cancellation penalty.) But there was a stipulation we were not aware of. Those credits had an expiration date and were not transferrable. Unfortunately my husband never did get better and much of that time I spent taking care of him (Believe me, I didn't feel much like cruising.)

Princess makes their platinum insurance sound better than it really is. Just be careful so you know what you are actually buying. Princess and their insurance company were completely inflexible with us. They kept his refund and would not credit any money spent on his ticket to me - even after he died and it was impossible for him to cruise again. I had to use my credit by their date or lose it too.

By the way, the only time I would even consider canceling before I had all the facts would be if we were close to a date where the cancellation penalty was due to increase. Then my decision would be based on the individual circumstances. Remember, Princess is a business and they want to make a profit.

• 2 weeks later...