MDR vs buffet dining

planner123456

Cruising on the Royal princess next month and since we'll be doing many ports I'm trying to convince my husband to skip the MDR and eat at the buffet most evenings. The side benefit of much less to pack attracts me. However, he wants me to confirm that the same entrees are available both places... Are they?

There will be "some" of the MDR menu items offered, often with a slightly different preparation. I haven't seen the lobster tail served on the second formal night in the buffet but the Beef Wellington on the same menu is usually offered at the carving station. If your DH has a specific menu favorite, it may not be available at the buffet. That being said, there will be many more options available in the buffet. When we were on the Regal for six days we ate dinner in the MDR once on formal night, the CG once and the buffet four times. The only meals we ate in the MDR were that one dinner and Embarkation day lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising on the Royal princess next month and since we'll be doing many ports I'm trying to convince my husband to skip the MDR and eat at the buffet most evenings. The side benefit of much less to pack attracts me. However, he wants me to confirm that the same entrees are available both places... Are they?

When he see's the buffet on the Royal he will forget all about the DR entrees. :D

Some times we skip the MDR entirely... first time we did, we were on a 11 night cruise in the Mediterranean on Celebrity... after 6 nights in the MDR... we decided we were not happy (we had changed tables x2 already and decided to just do the buffet). Guess what we never missed the MDR at all. From that point on when we cruise X, we skip the MDR.

Once on the Ruby we would not get a table for 2, so we skipped the MDR... only a 7 day cruise... we never missed it.

I share this only because you might try one or two nights.. and see how it goes.

Now we either eat at the crown Grill or the buffet on Princess...

Dinner on the Royal offers a variety of food choices. It could either be light or heavy. Unlike breakfast and lunch, tables are set up. It's just like in the MDR, except you get your own food. I guess your husband would like the entrees on the buffet.

I've taken three cruises on the Royal and eaten dinner in the buffet almost every night on all three cruises.

Many of the menu items are available in the Horizon Court in the evening. Not all since some menu items don't translate well in a buffet setting. I wouldn't hesitate to skip the dining room and eat just in the buffet on the Royal.

We found the Royal's buffet to be quite good and extensive. We have used it as an alternate choice for evening dining. Some passengers dine at the buffet on formal evenings so they can avoid packing or wearing formal clothing. Other than formal nights all other evenings are smart casual, so you really don't have to pack too much extra.

We enjoy dining in both the buffet and the MDR. The issue we have with the buffet is that you finish your meal quickly and you tend to eat too much. It isn't as relaxed as the MDR. Regarding the food, not all selections in the MDR and the buffet are the same. There will be nice selections in both. The Royal also has waiter served Alfredo's as an alternate choice.

The buffet on the Royal offers so much more than the DR I doubt he'll be disappointed. They even sometimes have items that the DR doesn't serve.

We found that the best time to skip the DR is on Italian night with everything the DR has plus some items we've never seen in the DR ever.

Another time is on Thanksgiving when you can select a little of dozens of choices vs. the DR with just one main course & two veggies.

The buffet on the Royal offers so much more than the DR I doubt he'll be disappointed. They even sometimes have items that the DR doesn't serve.

We found that the best time to skip the DR is on Italian night with everything the DR has plus some items we've never seen in the DR ever.

Another time is on Thanksgiving when you can select a little of dozens of choices vs. the DR with just one main course & two veggies.

Thanks for this tip! We are going to be on the Crown for Thanksgiving this year. My husband prefers the MDR but maybe I'll look at the buffet after to scope it out.

I have to say, all of this Royal buffet talk is making me want to try that ship!

Try the buffet one night, then the MDR. I'll bet you end of in the buffet most other nights. It's unbelievable.

MDR menus are posted outside the dining rooms and the buffet every morning. It can't hurt to check what's being offered.

Thanks for this tip! We are going to be on the Crown for Thanksgiving this year. My husband prefers the MDR but maybe I'll look at the buffet after to scope it out.

I have to say, all of this Royal buffet talk is making me want to try that ship!

We've done many Thanksgivings on various ships over the years & ever since sailing on the Royal class ships we would never go back to the DR for Thanksgiving dinner. We haven't been on the Crown in many years so I'm not sure about their spread.

I am looking forward to the Buffet on the Regal.

On the Coral, May of last year, the food and service in the MDR was amazing.

The buffet was very very poor.

I'm sailing on the Coral in a few weeks. I wonder why the buffet quality varies so much between Princess ships. In any case, looks like we're aiming to do the MDR most nights except for a night or two at the specialty restaurants.

I haven't read a thing about this so I don't think this exists on Princess, but one the one cruise I've taken (Carnival in 1992) they had a special midnight buffet full of lobster, amazing ice sculptures, etc. Do any cruise lines do this anymore? At the time I got the impression that it was common tradition.

The buffet on the Regal/Royal class ships is fantastic, a much larger selection. Plus, the buffet is much quieter, easier to have a conversation. There isn't as much drama either over who is wearing what. We hardly ever dine in the MDR. We prefer either specialty or buffer.

I do have two suggestions. The buffet on the Regal/Royal is quite extensive. I suggest you do a walk through to see what is available before picking up your plate. And, arrange a place for your partner to meet after making your selections.

I'm sailing on the Coral in a few weeks. I wonder why the buffet quality varies so much between Princess ships. In any case, looks like we're aiming to do the MDR most nights except for a night or two at the specialty restaurants.

I haven't read a thing about this so I don't think this exists on Princess, but one the one cruise I've taken (Carnival in 1992) they had a special midnight buffet full of lobster, amazing ice sculptures, etc. Do any cruise lines do this anymore? At the time I got the impression that it was common tradition.

Wow, have you been gone for a while. Princess stopped the midnight buffet maybe 15 years ago? Every since they've had the Horizon buffet open until 11 PM of so there hasn't been any need for it.

As I'm sure was said earlier (don't feel like reading the responses), the buffet food is different than the MDR. I wouldn't recommend skipping the MDR as it's an integral part of your fun cruising experience, and yes the food is more high-end and elegant. You may have to pack more formal clothes for it, yes, but you're on a ship and not on a land tour with several different hotel stops and re-packings, so that small amount of extra effort shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. Otherwise, just sign up for a late dining time and you should still be able to enjoy all off-ship excursions in a leisurely fashion.

If you'd like to have it both ways, of course folks aren't so universal anymore in wearing formal clothes to the MDR - I've seen t-shirts, baseball caps and shorts! -- so long as it's clean and business casual you should well-fit in - and no extra packing of tux's or evening gowns.

If this wasn't what you were alluding to then, uh, never mind. (haha).

When he see's the buffet on the Royal he will forget all about the DR entrees. :D

When we were on the Regal, it had to be the best buffet I ever saw on a ship. We did the MDR most often, but the next time, if the buffet is still as good, we'll eat there more often.

I hate buffets with a passion and would always go to the MDR for breakfast and lunch when on a cruise. I was on the Regal (sister to the Royal) last November. We ate as usual in the MDR for breakfast and lunch on the first sea day. The next day we had an early excursion so begrudgingly went to the buffet for breakfast. We were really impressed with it. We got back from our excursion too late for lunch in the MDR, so went back up to the buffet and were even more impressed than we were for breakfast. For the rest of the cruise, with the exception of Pub Lunch, we went to the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

I don't think we're ready to give up on the MDR for dinner yet though! ;)

i'm pleased to read so much positive about the regal buffet. except for ultimate dining, i didnt want to spend anymore for food and looks like i dont have to on my short 5 nite trip

We enjoyed it very much last April, and we were rather disappointed with Caribbean Princess buffet after experiencing Regal choices.

Regal even had sushi one day at the buffet.

We enjoyed it very much last April, and we were rather disappointed with Caribbean Princess buffet after experiencing Regal choices.

Regal even had sushi one day at the buffet.

Same here. We cruised on the CB last trip after numerous Royal cruises & were really disappointed.

Once you've been to a Royal class ship buffet, there's no going back. :D