Terror in Barcelona

Woobstr112G

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/17/barcelona-terror-attack-several-injured-after-white-van-plows-into-plaza.html

Possible terror attack on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Suspect(s) possibly hold up in some type of business nearby on Carrer Dels Tallers.....

Update: Sky News is reporting 13 have perished.....:(:(:)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Yes this is all over the news in California as well. So sad! We did the Med cruise two years ago that ended in Barcelona and I'm really glad we did it then. Today is just getting too unpredictable with terrorist violence.

Las Ramblas was a gorgeous area and packed with tourists and locals alike when we were there. I can't imagine how scary it was there today.

We're suppose to be there in 3 weeks leaving on the Royal. Little scared now. :o
Honestly, you are as safe there as your are in Ft.Lauderdale. These attacks can happen, anywhere, as you know. We will be there in the spring and look forward to visiting Barcelona again.

Honestly, you are as safe there as your are in Ft.Lauderdale. These attacks can happen, anywhere, as you know. We will be there in the spring and look forward to visiting Barcelona again.

Agreed. And I don't recall when two incidents have occurred in the same location on dates that are close together.

Had a nice stroll in Las Ramblas last year. Disembarking again in Barcelona in May 2018. Not cancelling.

I would also never cancel. I absolutely love strolling down Las Ramblas. Now all I have to do is convince DW to let me book another Med T/A.....:):):)

Bob

My prayers for all those involved and their families.

We were lucky enough to walk up and down Las Ramblas two weeks ago on an excursion on the Crown Princess. So sorry to hear that Barcelona joining the list of cities attacked by extremists. We were in London the week before we boarded in Southampton and it saddened us seeing the barriers on either side of the London Bridge to prevent the same happening again.

How terrible - so sad to hear, just heartbreaking that over a dozen lives were lost and many others injured at the hands of terrorists. I hope none of our fellow cruisers were involved as victims. It could have been any number of us.

We last were there in late May, and a local guy walked up Las Ramblas with a large sign at the height of a busy weekend market day which read: "THIS IS NOT TOURISM, IT'S AN INVASION"

I realize Barcelona is wealthy far beyond tourism, and can sustain itself apart from that industry, but I found it an unsettling sentiment.

It's not terrorism, and it's not a crime to be an idiot. But it's still one of the most unwelcome approaches to a main pedestrian walkway I've encountered recently. In English, no less.

Apologies for the double photo, tech issue.

2c17b6bd28464f5be8199d9f8b918813.jpg2c17b6bd28464f5be8199d9f8b918813.jpg

Edited by LaraTiara

We are scheduled to be there October 2nd on the Pacific Princess, 9-6 PM

Wonder if they might change the port?

Barcelona is the highest volume cruise port in the Mediterranean. I would be astounded if they changed the port.

Such a sad situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The effects of such behavior is fear. It's what the terrorists want. And yet, we have to be careful wherever we go now. It's our new normal!

I sat in the movies last week and what ran through my mind was, "I hope no one has a gun on them!" Then I had to walk through a crowded outdoor mall area to get to my car, I said to myself, "I hope no one chooses to run their car through this crowd!" I got to my car and literally got teary-eyed thinking about the horrible thoughts that were running through my mind when I should have been enjoying my day off of work.

As much as I want to refuse to succumb to the fears of our 2017 lives, it all deeply saddens me to the core of my being!

Take care, my cruising friends and family ♥