Price drop agony

pamrose228

Booked my Panama partial in May for December. Major price drops for that date. TA called HAL today to try to upgrade. They were willing to upgrade my partial view window room to balcony on same deck. Caveat all my perks would go away...., free grats $200 obc. I said no thanks. TA said HAL upgrade more after final payment. What's your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booked my Panama partial in May for December. Major price drops for that date. TA called HAL today to try to upgrade. They were willing to upgrade my partial view window room to balcony on same deck. Caveat all my perks would go away...., free grats $200 obc. I said no thanks. TA said HAL upgrade more after final payment. What's your thoughts?

Yes, there will be more generous offers after final payment, but also inventory will be reduced. BUT... Never accept the first answer from the first HAL rep consulted. Often calling 2 or 3 times will net 2 or 3 different answers. AND... your TA should be prepared to negotiate.

Yes, there will be more generous offers after final payment, but also inventory will be reduced. BUT... Never accept the first answer from the first HAL rep consulted. Often calling 2 or 3 times will net 2 or 3 different answers. AND... your TA should be prepared to negotiate.

Called twice. Asked for drink package. Everything no unless I give up the perks

Had a similar situation a few years ago. Took a chance and cancelled out reservation a few days before final payment.

Watched the prices drop, then another drop about 40 days out. Booked. Saved about $250. each on a verandah cabin. After that, we started booking primarily inside the final payment window. On all lines. But...we have no loyalty to any cruise line. Ship is more important to us than cruise line.

Don't take a gamble unless you are prepared to loose. Understand what the perks are really worth to you. Then take a guess at the upside and decide whether you are going to put you money down on the red or stick with the black.

Once you have made your decision don't look back or try to second guess yourself.

I'm prepared not to look at prices after final payment. The line needs to do what it has to do to sell out the ship.

I assume that if the price drops between the end of the drinks package promotion and final payment I'll lose that perk if I try to chase the price drop, though. Right?

I'm prepared not to look at prices after final payment. The line needs to do what it has to do to sell out the ship.

I assume that if the price drops between the end of the drinks package promotion and final payment I'll lose that perk if I try to chase the price drop, though. Right?

Yep you would

My apologies... I did not catch at first that your sailing had not reached the final payment cutoff.

If you change prior to final payment you are basically rebooking at the current offers terms and prices. As such any and all terms from your original booking will go away. So if they have a new offer with a lower price, but no OBC or Drink package then that is what you will get if you change.

I normally wait for a "good" deal (IMO of course) and book it, selecting a cabin I want.

Then I watch the pricing and deals as time goes by. Often I can "rebook" a better deal (sometimes a great one) without losing my cabin, but sometimes I end up with my deal (which I am happy with to start with or I would not have booked it).

I normally wait for a "good" deal (IMO of course) and book it, selecting a cabin I want.

Then I watch the pricing and deals as time goes by. Often I can "rebook" a better deal (sometimes a great one) without losing my cabin, but sometimes I end up with my deal (which I am happy with to start with or I would not have booked it).

So should I watch the rates until final payment and if they go down enough take the perk loss and obc will still get $100 from TA and then rebook?

I know on CCL my early saver rate is always matched. I remember asking the TA about rate drops she said yes

So should I watch the rates until final payment and if they go down enough take the perk loss and obc will still get $100 from TA and then rebook?

I know on CCL my early saver rate is always matched. I remember asking the TA about rate drops she said yes

Yes, watch the rates at least until final payment and rebook if and when it is a better deal, all things considered (price, perks, OBC, etc.). After final payment I would still contact HAL or TA if you see a better deal as sometimes they will give you a free upgrade or some other consideration.

If you do a cabin change after the final payment you do not loose your extras that you got at booking, is my understanding.

My HAL rep said that you need to be careful if you are going to play chicken waiting on room upgrades. You could loose out.

If you do a cabin change after the final payment you do not loose your extras that you got at booking, is my understanding.

My HAL rep said that you need to be careful if you are going to play chicken waiting on room upgrades. You could loose out.

Cabin changes WITHIN your exact category does not trigger a change in your booking (price, perks, etc.). But it you change categories, even a minor change, just might, so be sure to ask before you do.

As to waiting until after final payment to book, remember that most of the real good prices are on "guarantee" cabin categories, so you might get stuck with a cabin location you do not like.

I think a HAL rep has a difference mentality than a TA.

As for the difference is rate quite a bit. I can get my cabin for $600 less app now that's a total of $1200 the perks come to $500 so the real difference is $700. You can figure out distribution all you want, HAL should be offering me something. Final payment due is 5 weeks, will be on the phone the next day.

BTW TA said she had a client who booked an interior after final she was bumped to ov, then balcony and given $900 in future cruise credit too book

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

The way I see it....when HAL offers a special fares with perks HAL knows well that if there is a reduction in the price after you book and you try to get the lower price you will lose those perks. That's to discourage you in doing as such which it did. So, if you want that major price drop - it's basically a cancel and rebook at the new rate less the perks. Yes...kinda sucks, but HAL is in business to make $$. In a sense you want your cake and eat it to - price reduction plus perks. You have to remember those perks aren't free. Ultimately they come out of the overall cruise fare.

As for the difference is rate quite a bit. I can get my cabin for $600 less app now that's a total of $1200 the perks come to $500 so the real difference is $700. You can figure out distribution all you want, HAL should be offering me something. Final payment due is 5 weeks, will be on the phone the next day.

BTW TA said she had a client who booked an interior after final she was bumped to ov, then balcony and given $900 in future cruise credit too book

So, if you take the price drop, even with losing the perks you are still ahead $700?

Doesn't sound like a mystery to me on what to do if I am understanding you correctly.

Take the price drop and give up the perks.

If you are ahead of the game, then that's the way to go.

HAL doesn't need to do anything. They offered you a sailing with perks which is more costly, obviously and now have a better price. As long as you don't mind a non refundable deposit - it's a win, win. By the way, non refundable deposits are always bare bone cruises with no perks. That's why the price is better ;)

CCL owns HAL

"CCL" generally refers to "Carnival Cruise Line", which does not "own" HAL. CCL is a sister company, not a parent company, of HAL.

Carnival Corporation is the parent company of both CCL and HAL (as well as several other cruise lines). Each cruise line operates separately, and under its own rules.

Once again CCL has a rate. called early saver. If you book 5 months before sailing you get price drops in form of OBC. I was told HAL would honor price drops since I booked 7 months out. CCL owns HAL

Yes, but you "rebook" at New RATE and RULES!

Last year on CCL I had a reduced deposit and $50 OBC. Rates went down $70 per person. I had to pay full deposit and lost my OBC. Losing $50 to save $140 put $90 in my pocket.

Also Early Saver rates are not 100% refundable. You lose $50 per person with the rest held by Carnival to use at a later date .

HAL , I have found, has a much better system for re faring.

"HAL should offer [you] something?" They are... they allow you to reprice for the lower rate. As others have said, when you reprice before final payment, you are really cancelling your first reservation then booking a new one at the new promotion. Here's my latest HAL experience. I booked a cruise. A few months later, the Explore 4 promotion was offered. It cost me $300 per person more if I wanted it. Well, Explore 4 included gratuities ($210 value), dinner for 2 at Pinnacle Grill ($70 value) Internet credit ($200 Value) and drink packages ($740 value) so my total "value" for two was around $1220 for an upcharge of $600. So I did it. Then the promotion ended and the prices dropped to about $600 per person less. So I could give up the Explore 4 and save $1200. But I'd lose $1200 in benefits. So I kept the Explore 4. Then the Explore 4 came back but the cabin price dropped $200 per person. So I took advantage. Final cost $200 total more than ORIGINAL booking, but with perks, the cost was $1000 less than original cost. Anyway, my point is this, you need to add up the cost of your cruise and subtract the value of the perks offered. Only that way can you get the "real" price of your cruise. In your case, you can get the cabin for $1200 less but would lose $500 in perks. So you'd SAVE $700. That's a no brainer. Keep in mind, as the cruise approaches, you can always reprice again if there is lower rates with perks you'll use. But, HAL doesn't need to "offer" you anything. The mere fact that they allow you to conveniently reprice anytime you want prior to final payment is more than fair.

Some of the perks offered do not cost the line the equivalent in cash. If you accept paying $500 more in cruise fare for $600 in drinks, HAL is still way ahead. Their liquor (or soda) costs are not $600. Maybe $150. Someone in the restaurant industry once told me that the cost of soft drinks was about 10 cents to the restaurant for the raw materials. Same for the internet and extra fee restaurants. The prepaid gratuities would be the only straight savings that I can see.