Best Month for Fjords. Opinion Please

BellaAnna

You never know we have been in June and July and had good wethaer but also occasional days of rain. Norway weather is very much like UK very changeable and you could be lucky or unlucky. Having said that it is a beautiful country even though eye-wateringly expensive.

I've only been in June, we had mixed weather and a terrible North Sea crossing on the way out (not on a Cunard ship).

I think it's pretty unpredictable, I would choose the itinerary you prefer and pack for all weathers !

We have been 3 times. Once in May and twice in June. All with Cunard. The May trip had lovely weather and there was still a lot of snow around. One of the June trips was nearly all good weather and the other (last year) was mixed. In fact we got sunburnt in Bergen! Bergen is apparently notorious for rain but we have always had hot sunny days there. We haven't had any bad trips getting there that I remember.

The fjords are stunning and I would recommend a trip anytime, whatever the weather.

I have been twice, both times in mid to late June. The first time was a fortnight on P&O many years ago. There was a lot of rain in one port only and the rest of the time it was dry, mild and mostly sunny. The second cruise was for one week four years ago on the QE. We had only two hours of rain in Flam - fortunately after our train excursion. From what I heard we were lucky both times.

Having done 4 fjords cruises at various points in early and late June and mid July, I would agree with other posters that the weather is about as predictable as a British summer! We've generally been quite fortunate. This year we were on QM2's 13-21 July itinerary: the weather in Olden was awful and in complete contrast to our visit in 2014, early in June. On the other hand, our day in Bergen was hot and sunny!

We were looking forward to escaping the hot British summer (until then, anyway) so were just hoping for some dry and reasonably bright days, which we got on the whole.

Having said all this, I would also agree that if you visit in June you can enjoy the long days at their maximum, so that would be my recommendation.

We have been in May, June and July. We had VERY heavy rain at some stage on each of them, and sun also. We had snow in July!

June is best in my view, because of the longest days.

We had better weather on our May trip than our June trip, you can never tell! We did a Christmas cruise to Oslo, and only saw a pile of snow at the side of the skating rink! Several passengers went to nearby ski slopes, and one of our table companions came back with a broken leg!

We did a 7 day trip on the QM2 in July a few years ago. We had a mixture of sun and rain most days. Apparently the weather the previous week was glorious as was the week after we debarked. I will say that our photos had a very atmospheric look to them with the reflections of the clouds in the water. Despite the weather, we still had a wonderful time.

We have taken holidays and cruises from April to August. April was horrendously cold (although bright), also cool and windy at the North Cape in August.

If you are going on a shorter fjords cruise, perhaps think of early July because of the long days. Also, the waterfalls are at their best and very spectacular from the snow melt. In August the Seven Sisters Falls can be a mere trickle in comparison.

Whenever you go just be prepared for all weathers and enjoy the magnificent scenery.

I was just on QM2 in mid July to Norway. The weather was fantastic in Stavanger, raining in Olden, raining in the morning ad sunny in the afternoon in Flam and sunny during the last stop in Bergen. The weather is quite variable and is the luck of the draw. Fantastic first cruise on QM2 :)

We've done May, June and August. The May trip was actually the nicest weather by quite some way. The fjords do look very attractive in Spring when there is still snow on the higher hills, and waterfalls are full with snow melt water. To be honest, I think the weather is pot luck whenever you go to the Fjords, and is likely to change from day to day, but the scenery is spectacular in any weather!

I have been following the weather in Norway for the last few weeks. It seems the forecast is always for rain. Soooo what month is better July or August?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, to answer your specific question, statistically July is better than August!