Enchantment of the Seas - rusty

I've been watching the Enchantment of the Seas coming and going on the Key West webcam. Since most people on a cruise take pictures of the ship, you'd think the crew would take a few minutes to slap some white paint on the rust streaks coming from the anchor opening. Just say'n, looks bad.

I've been watching the Enchantment of the Seas coming and going on the Key West webcam. Since most people on a cruise take pictures of the ship, you'd think the crew would take a few minutes to slap some white paint on the rust streaks coming from the anchor opening. Just say'n, looks bad.

It's called Salt Water... No but I sail B2B2B2B every Fall on Serenade. I can verify watched them painting every week, almost impossible keep up on since shes at sea every day.

"It's what's on the inside that counts" :D

What's with these threads this week?

Allure of the Seas, Crippled

Enchantment of the Seas, Rusted

Empress of the Seas, Tiny

Anthem of the Seas, Haunted

Rhapsody of the Seas, Dull

Majesty of the Seas, Old

Who cares if the ship is a little rusty? You'd almost think it's been on the ocean for two decades.

It's called Salt Water... No but I sail B2B2B2B every Fall on Serenade. I can verify watched them painting every week, almost impossible keep up on since shes at sea every day.

Plus, Enchantment is at Coco Cay twice a week, where they have to drop and weigh (4 transits a week) the anchor and scrape off all that new paint.

Plus, Enchantment is at Coco Cay twice a week, where they have to drop and weigh (4 transits a week) the anchor and scrape off all that new paint.

Doesn't Enchantment have dynamic positioning or something like that the doesn't require an anchor?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Doesn't Enchantment have dynamic positioning or something like that the doesn't require an anchor?

Not sure John. I know Freedom used to do that, but I did not think that Enchantment had that capability being a non-azipod ship. Perhaps the Chief can enlighten us.

Not sure John. I know Freedom used to do that, but I did not think that Enchantment had that capability being a non-azipod ship. Perhaps the Chief can enlighten us.

Haven't figured out posting pictures but if you search EN images there are lots with her anchor lines down.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=enchantment+of+the+seas&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz27fJqOPVAhUG6oMKHXPmCfsQ_AUIECgB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=r_MYw4gyt06JTM:

I'm almost certain Enchantment does not have dynamic positioning since she's a prop and rudder ship. I also checked a photo I have of her off Coco Cay and she was definitely anchored.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Google is your friend. [emoji6]

Grandeur and Enchantment were the first two passenger ships to have dynamic positioning. Lots of non azipod ships have it. They use thrusters.

It probably costs more to use, hence the continued use of anchors. But I think I have seen it used at Coco Cay

Grandeur and Enchantment were the first two passenger ships to have dynamic positioning. Lots of non azipod ships have it. They use thrusters.

It probably costs more to use, hence the continued use of anchors. But I think I have seen it used at Coco Cay

Yep, I worked on a dynamically positioned drillship back in the 70's, that had 2 propellers and 12 thrusters.

It definitely costs more to us DP than anchoring. When anchored, they shut off generators to the same as when they are tied to a pier (typically one engine). Most power management systems for cruise ship engine rooms require a minimum of 2-3 engines on line running when propulsion is started, whether it is actually needed or not, so the engines run at low power most of the time and are inefficient at these loads.

Frequently, cruise ships are built with stainless steel plating under the anchor hawse pipe to eliminate this "unsightly" rust.

Didn't know that, thanks for the update John&LaLa, and of course, the chief engineer.

I would assume, then, that they have both bow and stern thrusters or do they use forward and reverse rotation on the props, or perhaps both?

Didn't know that, thanks for the update John&LaLa, and of course, the chief engineer.

I would assume, then, that they have both bow and stern thrusters or do they use forward and reverse rotation on the props, or perhaps both?

Yes, one of the advantages of azipods is that you only have two azipods, and not two propellers, two rudders, 4 steering motors, and 2-3 stern thrusters. So, cruise ships with props and rudders will have both bow and stern thrusters. When DP'ing, they will use all the thrusters and the two propellers, typically "split" or one going ahead and one going astern, and the program will speed up one or the other to maintain longitudinal position.

Yep, I worked on a dynamically positioned drillship back in the 70's, that had 2 propellers and 12 thrusters.

It definitely costs more to us DP than anchoring. When anchored, they shut off generators to the same as when they are tied to a pier (typically one engine). Most power management systems for cruise ship engine rooms require a minimum of 2-3 engines on line running when propulsion is started, whether it is actually needed or not, so the engines run at low power most of the time and are inefficient at these loads.

Frequently, cruise ships are built with stainless steel plating under the anchor hawse pipe to eliminate this "unsightly" rust.

Thank-you both.