What Sets the Regal/Royal Apart From Other Cruise Ships?

need2cruisesoon

I'm booked on a mid October cruise Canada/NE (10/14) on the Regal, cabin forward on Emerald deck (one of the 102, 103, 106 cabins)

I've sailed other ships including Grand Class and even Celebrity S Class and just off the POA in Hawaii.

What will impress me when I board the ship? I've read good reviews regarding the staff and dining accommodations but some negatives on the balcony size and odd layout of the ship.

She we certainly be the largest ship for us to sail thus far so i am equally curious of our upcoming cruise.

Please tell me your thoughts and opinions, thanks.

Ron

California

Yes, We describe them as 20% larger version of a Princess ship. Now 20% may not be accurate measure, but just the feeling we get. We have not been "blown anyway" with them, but new, better Princess ships will come soon enough. We will be on the Celebrity Edge early in its life and see what the new era of ship looks like.

Where to start? The gorgeous Piazza that will have you going, "Wow!" as you board. The larger International Cafe, the larger Alfredo's with an expanded menu, the huge buffet with a chef behind each section, the sandwich bar in the Horizon Bistro where you can get a sandwich made plus delicious stir-fry and make-your-own tacos at lunch, the large on-demand TV in the cabin with dozens of movies, TV shows, replays of lectures and talks, etc. to watch any time you want, etc.

first of all, the buffet. Terrific. Huge. A wonderful variety of foods and desserts.

second, free on demand movies and cartoons. That's a huge perk if you are traveling with kids or are quarantined due to noro- or rotovirus (our friend). They are also dubbed in foreign languages.

third, menus in foreign languages. Very helpful.

fourth, they are newer and cleaner.

If you're on Emerald deck in one of those very forward cabins, 101-110, you'll enjoy having the sitting area in the cabin with small love seat. Deluxe Balcony is a great new cabin category only on Royal class ships. You're also in one of the oversized balconies - quite roomy!

Atrium is wondeful. Much larger than other class of ships, and beautiful!

Gelato's is only on Royal class ships - delicious! And great adult sundaes with a shot of booze on them.. Yum!

Alfredo's was introduced with the Royal class ships - included casual sit down Italian eatery - great pizzas, the veal pasta is amazing, etc. Very nice for embarkation lunch or a quieter casual dinner or lunch...

The buffet is outstanding - much, much larger than other ships, very well organized, outdoor seating if you like, etc. Excellent.

Princess Live has replaced Explorer's. More studio like for game shows and such...small though.. Be prepared to go early to get a seat. The bar outside Princess Live is another spot you can get specialty coffees! Bonus!

Same goes for theater - it's small! - be prepared to go early for seating! Excellent production shows!!

Crown Grill is attached to the Wheelhouse bar - it's fun to hear the music from the bar while dining. If it's not your thing, ask for a table further back..

The Atrium is the hub of the ship, lots of entertainment and activities held there.

Have a great cruise!

Where to start? The gorgeous Piazza that will have you going, "Wow!" as you board. The larger International Cafe, the larger Alfredo's with an expanded menu, the huge buffet with a chef behind each section, the sandwich bar in the Horizon Bistro where you can get a sandwich made plus delicious stir-fry and make-your-own tacos at lunch, the large on-demand TV in the cabin with dozens of movies, TV shows, replays of lectures and talks, etc. to watch any time you want, etc.

Pam, thanks for all the good info.

please tell me more regarding "Curtis Stone" specialty restaurant? Would you recommend?

first of all, the buffet. Terrific. Huge. A wonderful variety of foods and desserts.

second, free on demand movies and cartoons. That's a huge perk if you are traveling with kids or are quarantined due to noro- or rotovirus (our friend). They are also dubbed in foreign languages.

third, menus in foreign languages. Very helpful.

fourth, they are newer and cleaner.

Do you recommend at least an evening or two in the buffet for dinner in lieu of the MDR?

A beautiful ship. The Sanctuary is spectacular. Wonderfully quiet with great service. The steakhouse is top notch (our group of six were seated in the mirrored wine room--really special). Don't miss the production shows--also well done.

My only disappointment (and it was a deep one) was no steam room or sauna in ladies locker--you have to pay extra for the spa area. It is not even included for day use when you purchase a treatment.

But food, deck,space, clubs are great. You will have a wonderful time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

...please tell me more regarding "Curtis Stone" specialty restaurant? Would you recommend?
Food is very subjective. In looking at the menu, it's not appealing to me plus it's more expensive than the Crown Grill, which I enjoy.

What's interesting is that after the Agreement with Curtis Stone, there were several Curtis Stone items every night on the dinner menu. There are now almost none. Personally, I'd be surprised if Princess renewed their contract with him. Have no idea when that would be.

Do you recommend at least an evening or two in the buffet for dinner in lieu of the MDR?
I've taken two trans-Atlantic and a 10-day cruise on the Royal. Love the ship and have two more cruises booked on her. Out of all of those cruise days, I've eaten in the dining room only a handful of times. Much preferred the buffet for the variety of choices and quality of food. That's not normal for me as I prefer late Traditional on cruises.

We are on the Royal, TA, 14 nights out of Barcelona in October... thinking of doing the buffet on the two ports where we are in port very late... Gilbrater and a port in the Canary Islands... thought might be nice to watch the sun set and enjoy a simple meal. Wonder if the menu changes every night in the buffet or is it the same? On Celebrity the menu is basically the same in the buffet every day/night.

We are on the Royal, TA, 14 nights out of Barcelona in October... thinking of doing the buffet on the two ports where we are in port very late... Gilbrater and a port in the Canary Islands... thought might be nice to watch the sun set and enjoy a simple meal. Wonder if the menu changes every night in the buffet or is it the same? On Celebrity the menu is basically the same in the buffet every day/night.

The menu changes. They even have theme nights. German night is especially good IMHO. I ate quite a few meals there in lieu of MDR and was very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wonder if the menu changes every night in the buffet or is it the same? On Celebrity the menu is basically the same in the buffet every day/night.
Some things are the same such as the salad and fixings but the menu changes every night and many of the dining room menu items are available. There are at least a couple of soups, several different meat or seafood entrees, including roasts, different starches, vegetables, etc. There is often a theme in the buffet for dinner in addition to the usual items. I love Bavarian night with 5-6 different wursts, mustards, etc.

Unlike Celebrity, Princess buffets are open continuously from 5:30am until 11pm. One side might close while the other is changing over from breakfast to lunch, for instance.

I love salads and on the Royal, there are 2-3 different salad bar options plus vegetables, nuts, grains, meats, etc. to make your own chef's salad. There are 8-10 salad dressings, including low-fat and basalmic vinegar plus vinegar and oil.

cb629c25fe3ff94a6f145cf7422e2f67.jpg

This is just one section of the buffet.

67eb58ad0aa0200dc350b31fec595313.jpg

This is just the selection of fruits.

23f8edd17202002953e5b25daaaf5255.jpg

We are on the same cruise as you. Please join our Roll Call.

I'm booked on a mid October cruise Canada/NE (10/14) on the Regal, cabin forward on Emerald deck (one of the 102, 103, 106 cabins)

I've sailed other ships including Grand Class and even Celebrity S Class and just off the POA in Hawaii.

What will impress me when I board the ship? I've read good reviews regarding the staff and dining accommodations but some negatives on the balcony size and odd layout of the ship.

She we certainly be the largest ship for us to sail thus far so i am equally curious of our upcoming cruise.

Ron

California

Some things are the same such as the salad and fixings but the menu changes every night and many of the dining room menu items are available. There are at least a couple of soups, several different meat or seafood entrees, including roasts, different starches, vegetables, etc. There is often a theme in the buffet for dinner in addition to the usual items. I love Bavarian night with 5-6 different wursts, mustards, etc.

Unlike Celebrity, Princess buffets are open continuously from 5:30am until 11pm. One side might close while the other is changing over from breakfast to lunch, for instance.

I love salads and on the Royal, there are 2-3 different salad bar options plus vegetables, nuts, grains, meats, etc. to make your own chef's salad. There are 8-10 salad dressings, including low-fat and basalmic vinegar plus vinegar and oil.

cb629c25fe3ff94a6f145cf7422e2f67.jpg

This is just one section of the buffet.

67eb58ad0aa0200dc350b31fec595313.jpg

This is just the selection of fruits.

23f8edd17202002953e5b25daaaf5255.jpg

Thanks Pam, the buffet looks great with many options for the choosing. Good to hear it is open late in the evening.

No wrap-around promenade deck.

No swim-against-the-current pool.

Very little outside deck area (except on the top of the ship).

The older Princess ships are much better, in my opinion.

Are you sure, I sailed the Grand last year out if SF and didn't have me thinking "yeah I need to sail the Grand again"

Our favorite Princess Ships.

Love the huge buffet with so many choices. We actually ate there several times for dinner because we didn't like the MDR choices. Great snack options at night.

Love the Horizon Terrace in the aft on Lido deck. We ate all our meals out there from the Buffet.

Love the On Demand TV that plays current movies.

Real nice padded loungers aft on the Promenade Deck.

Like the option to get a couch in a balcony room.

Only negatives were the much smaller balconies and the really small track to walk on. I ended up just walking the halls from top to bottom.

Ron

California

Ron! A welcome visitor from the Celebrity board where we have talked during my Silhouette Review.

I haven't been on the Regal Princess yet but I will be on October 14. If you see me at a bar (bag of Canon cameras on shoulder is a giveaway) don't hesitate to say hi. I drink Guinness if you are asking.

I have been a critic of the design of the Royal Class but will see for myself. I will say, and my signature will testify, that Princess is a fine line to sail with. The Grand is maybe not their finest ship and a ship I avoid having an interest in. The Ruby is for me the best ship (as the Diamond has been banished to the Far East) but she may be overtaken by the Regal-time will tell.

You are guaranteed good food, service and entertainment and a good level of polish and professionalism when it comes to shore excursions. I love both Princess and Celebrity as you know.

Hope to see you onboard!

Norris