Laundry on board

lbfluffy

We will be taking the longest cruise we've ever done, 15 days. So I'm thinking we will need to do laundry. We will be on the Grand Princess. How are the laundry facilities? I'm guessing I'll need to bring laundry detergent. We have never been in the laundry room. How many machines does the laundry room have? We are on the caribe deck.

Thanks

The washers and dryers work using tokens you buy from a machine in the laundry room with your cruise card.

There is also detergent, also purchsed with tokens. I believe the detergent was All.

The rooms can get rather busy.

The washers and dryers work using tokens you buy from a machine in the laundry room with your cruise card.

There is also detergent, also purchsed with tokens. I believe the detergent was All.

The rooms can get rather busy.

I looked at my room on the deckplan. It looks like the laundry room is forward from our cabin. I just hope the machines are in good working order.

I looked at my room on the deckplan. It looks like the laundry room is forward from our cabin. I just hope the machines are in good working order.

If the ones on your deck aren't working just go to the laundry on another deck. They're usually OK but we had one cruise where one of the machines was out of action for a while.

On that ship, the laundry room on Caribe is way forward, but it's in the aft on the other decks. So, depending upon how far aft your cabin is, you might find it more convenient to go up or down a deck to the aft-located laundry room on Dolphin or Baja decks, rather than walking all the way forward on Caribe. That's what I generally do when in an aft cabin on that class of ship.

I found the pods are pretty convenient (I would wrap each one up in a small ziplock bag just in case). If you prefer the powder type, just put a load's worth in a ziplock bag. We needed to use unscented detergent which isn't available in the dispenser machine.

I found the pods are pretty convenient (I would wrap each one up in a small ziplock bag just in case). If you prefer the powder type' date=' just put a load's worth in a ziplock bag. We needed to use unscented detergent which isn't available in the dispenser machine.[/quote']

I think I'll try the pods.

Our cabin is more aft so I guess I'll go up a deck

I just don't want to overpack this cruise.

Although they do have the detergent vending machine in each laundry room, chances are they will not have the brand and type you prefer at home.

So if you do have a preference (example: Tide fragrance free), bring yours with you. If you do not care what brand/type detergent you use, then the vending machine will be fine.

There are laundry rooms on every stateroom deck. On the Crown, IIRC, there were 2 washers and dryers in a laundry room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are 2 washers and dryer's on each side of the laundry room. That is a total of four washers and four dryers with ironing boards between them.

Hate to be like a broken record because I've said this before........get your tokens and supplies very early in the cruise so that you won't have to shlep all over the boat looking for tokens when you are ready to do the laundry.

That happened to me on our last cruise..........not a big deal but we were on the Royal in a very forward cabin, the laundry is wayyyyy in the back and my floor's supplies of tokens was empty. Everyone seems to do this if there's a day of crappy weather or in the middle of the cruise

Hate to be like a broken record because I've said this before........get your tokens and supplies very early in the cruise so that you won't have to shlep all over the boat looking for tokens when you are ready to do the laundry.

That happened to me on our last cruise..........not a big deal but we were on the Royal in a very forward cabin, the laundry is wayyyyy in the back and my floor's supplies of tokens was empty. Everyone seems to do this if there's a day of crappy weather or in the middle of the cruise

There is a phone in the laundry room. Use this for the passenger service desk. They sent someone around to fill the machine within five minutes. No need to leave the laundry room.

There is a phone in the laundry room. Use this for the passenger service desk. They sent someone around to fill the machine within five minutes. No need to leave the laundry room.

Yes, tried that phone, but......no one answered!!!

I may have said this before, but I use the Purex 3 in 1 sheets! No chance of spillage and it's detergent, softener and dryer sheet all in one! We use them when we travel in our RV too since they take up almost no space!

You can still get them on Amazon.

I may have said this before, but I use the Purex 3 in 1 sheets! No chance of spillage and it's detergent, softener and dryer sheet all in one! We use them when we travel in our RV too since they take up almost no space!

I agree, we do that too. We are Elite now and love the laundry benefit, but I still do a load or two of undies/delicates. We cruised 23 days last year and our next one is 21 days. These are great!

Tokens are not used anymore -- insert cruise card and your account gets charged for washer/dryer/detergent, etc.

Over the years, have found machines less busy late afternoons (4-5p) and mornings of port days. Would avoid on sea days and last day of cruise. I too pack the detergent pods and Bounce in a Ziploc. Am partial to my own detergent and Bounce. :cool:

We use those also. Perfect for travel. Got ours years ago --ridiculously expensive now.

We use those also. Perfect for travel. Got ours years ago --ridiculously expensive now.

Right! I bought a bunch several years ago too! I was looking on Amazon and saw another brand that got good ratings and were less expensive.