Dress code for Grande European Viking River Cruise

Manymice

River cruises do not have formal nights and evenings are fairly casual. Slacks and collared shirt for the guys and, for women, I pack based on season.

I like to wear a nice pair of slacks with a pretty top and I also pack a simple black dress for evenings that I can dress up with accessories. In the warmer months, you will see women in capris at dinner as well. I am partial to skirts and dresses and pack accordingly.

On the welcome night and farewell nights, you will see some sport coats (fewer ties) on the men and some sparkle on the women.

Whatver you're comfortable in.

There's no dress code.

From the Viking site

Dress is casual and comfortable, both on board and ashore. Because the weather can be unpredictable, it is best to bring layers. It is recommended that you have a sweater or light jacket for spring and summer, and a heavier jacket for chillier months. Rain can happen at any time, so a collapsible umbrella is a “must.” You are likely to do a good deal of walking during shore excursions, so you will definitely want sturdy, comfortable walking shoes; but, since our ships are much smaller than ocean cruising vessels, you do not have to worry about too much walking on board.

There are no “formal nights” on board, but there is usually a Captain’s Welcome Dinner and/or Farewell Dinner; on many itineraries, you will attend a concert, ballet performance or other dressier event. For these evenings, you might like to bring “dressy casual” wear.

I like to wear a shirt and sports jacket at dinnerand that's about as formal as anyone goes, and I'm in a minority. A tuxedo would be well over the top.

If you're comfortable in it, then it's OK

Viking dinner dress is as casual as their information implies. Although we cruise in the fall (cooler temps, lot of sweaters), my wife and I wore the same style/type of clothing to dinner as we would on any other portion of our trips. If you're more comfortable in a sport coat & slacks or dress up a bit for dinner, that'll be fine. If you're trying to decide whether to pack nicer clothes, they won't be required on the cruise. One meal will put you at complete ease with the dress flexibility.

I am live fro Viking Eistla! Having the most incredible adventure. While I agree that casual is accepted as the dress code and I packed according to that. I wish I had packed a few more dressier items. Think nice dinner, or going to church attire. The women always refresh for dinner and change into a nice sundress or slacks and pretty tops with scarves and sweaters. That being said if your more comfortable dressed down no one will frown upon it. There is a mix of both but the dressier outweigh the other. Viking is showing us an absolutely grand time and attending to all of our needs way above my expectation.

Viking has no dress code either implied or written. At dinner, especially in warmer months, one will find people dressed from cargo shorts, t shirts, and flip flops; to dress slacks and jacket (even occasionally a tie). Sometimes, one finds both extremes at the same large table.

Best advice is to dress as you feel comfortable and feel appropriate and don't get upset about those that choose to dress (way) down. It will only lead to unneeded frustration.

• 1 year later...

My husband and I are going on our first European vacation in August for the Viking Grand European Tour. He's a really casual kind of guy and wears beach wear most of the time (shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops). I'm trying to encourage him to stick with polo shirts for day and dress shirts for dinner. While I've seen some folks mention t-shirts, I'm not really feeling like they are very appropriate and could use some feedback from fellow travelers that t-shirts are the exception and not the rule, and that most men wear polos, shorts, and chinos during the day. Can't wait.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! Your answer is very helpful! I'lll leave the formal wear at home but try to look respectable!

Viking has no dress code either implied or written. At dinner, especially in warmer months, one will find people dressed from cargo shorts, t shirts, and flip flops; to dress slacks and jacket (even occasionally a tie). Sometimes, one finds both extremes at the same large table.

Best advice is to dress as you feel comfortable and feel appropriate and don't get upset about those that choose to dress (way) down. It will only lead to unneeded frustration.

Directly from the Viking website https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

Is There A “Dress Code” On The Ship?

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), trousers or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. There are no “formal nights” and recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional. We suggest you pack comfortable walking shoes, dressier shoes, a collapsible umbrella/lightweight rain gear; items you can layer like lightweight jackets/sweaters; sunglasses, a sun hat/visor, sunscreen; and toiletries including a travel-sized hand sanitizer. Depending on the season and destination, you may also want to add a warm coat, gloves and water-resistant footwear.

Since Viking uses the specific words "Dress Code" and then proceeds to make recommendations, I have a hard time accepting contentions that there is no implied dress code. Are these recommendations enforced? - probably not, but there are recommendations and IME the majority of the passengers dress accordingly (some do not).

On walks cobblestones are common and gravel is not unusual; not flip-flop territory for me; I recommend sturdy walking shoes off the boat.

Hey GG,

> He's a really casual kind of guy and wears beach wear most of the time

It's time he grew up.

> I'm trying to encourage him to stick with polo shirts for day and dress shirts for dinner.

A shirt with a collar, maybe a sports jacket, will be OK.

Enjoy your trip.

Ira

My husband and I are going on our first European vacation in August for the Viking Grand European Tour. He's a really casual kind of guy and wears beach wear most of the time (shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops). I'm trying to encourage him to stick with polo shirts for day and dress shirts for dinner. While I've seen some folks mention t-shirts, I'm not really feeling like they are very appropriate and could use some feedback from fellow travelers that t-shirts are the exception and not the rule, and that most men wear polos, shorts, and chinos during the day. Can't wait.

We've been on eight Viking cruises. T-shirts and shorts are perfectly appropriate during the day, flip flops not so much. Not because they're inappropriate but because they would be uncomfortable to walk in on the cobblestones with which most European streets are made. One of the reasons we cruise exclusively with Viking is the informal atmosphere. If YOU want him to dress up at dinner, a polo shirt and shorts or chinos would be recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

. He's a really casual kind of guy and wears beach wear most of the time (shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops). I'm trying to encourage him to stick with polo shirts for day and dress shirts for dinner. While I've seen some folks mention t-shirts, I'm not really feeling like they are very appropriate and could use some feedback from fellow travelers that t-shirts are the exception and not the rule, and that most men wear polos, shorts, and chinos during the day. Can't wait.

I think there are tshirts; and then there are tshirts. I would try to talk your husband out of collar-less, casual Ts wth a logo across the back for dinner -- like you would win after a run; or buy at a tavern.

But there are nice collar-less knit shirts; or polo shirts which is what most men wore. Don't torture the guy with dress shirts; maybe an Oxford shirt if that is to his liking. ;)

We are on the Modi right now. Dinner dress is very casual. Most everyone wears what they have worn while touring. I haven't seen a single sport coat on men. I can't tell you if any of the men have worn shorts to dinner as I really haven't paid attention. The atmosphere is casual and I don't think that anyone cares what you wear. We have met some wonderful people and are enjoying this experience tremendously.

I dress more "formally" than most men on Viking cruises.

He should feel comfortable. Anything pretty much goes for day tours. T-shirts common. Collared shirts common. Shorts common. Jeans everywhere. Most men do NOT wear chinos on tours. Jeans.

Evenings I wear a collared shirt and slacks, HOWEVER Viking does not require this and many guests do not "dress up" that much. Polo shirts for dinner would be common. Your husband will fit in well dressing as he wishes and enjoying all aspects of his wonderful cruise.

FYI: Even though Viking OCEAN has a no jeans and must wear a collard shirt to restaurants policy (except World Cafe buffet) I saw guys in T-shirts, shorts and lots of jeans in the Viking Sea restaurant. On Silversea a jacket (but not a tie) and collared shirt was a requirement. I saw guys sent back to get their jackets.

Conclusion: Viking guests in the majority pay little attention to dress.

I dress more "formally" than most men on Viking cruises.

He should feel comfortable. Anything pretty much goes for day tours. T-shirts common. Collared shirts common. Shorts common. Jeans everywhere. Most men do NOT wear chinos on tours. Jeans.

Evenings I wear a collared shirt and slacks, HOWEVER Viking does not require this and many guests do not "dress up" that much. Polo shirts for dinner would be common. Your husband will fit in well dressing as he wishes and enjoying all aspects of his wonderful cruise.

Conclusion: Viking guests in the majority pay little attention to dress.

I find my memory is fallible so rather than try to remember I looked at the pictures of the groups on the tours of our 6 Viking trips. I noted two things about the men on the tour.

1. They would wear shorts in wear that is too cool for me to wear shorts comfortably. I had forgotten that. We've taken trips in May, July (2), September, October and November. However some days everyone would wear shorts and other days none would wear them.

2. Among the men not in shorts it was a mixture of chino and jeans but always with more men wearing chino than jeans.

I think jeans would be too hot in August. I would suggest some kind of casual lightweight trousers. The problem with shorts is that some cathedrals absolutely forbid them for everyone. The dress code is covered shoulders, elbows and knees. There are zip-off travel pants that convert from trousers to pants for this reason such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-Silver-Ridge-Convertible/dp/B00AHLXHC0

Flip flops are great but not on cobblestones. I would suggest a supportive European walking shoe instead like this - which is easy to wear comfortably immediately for someone used to flip flops as this sandal is fully adjustable:

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/ecco-yucatan-brown/699

These sandals will really help with walking on uneven surfaces and cobblestones and provide a lot of support to the foot as well as comfort so his feet will not get tired, yet they have the free feeling of flip flops - its the best of both worlds. Should his feet swell on the plane, the sandal is immediately adjustable for comfort and when the swelling goes down, the sandal can be adjusted again. Really it is the perfect sandal for traveling for both men and women.