Viking Homelands - Scenic Berlin or Historic Berlin Excursion?

Holly1875

Jimgri thank you for the link to the port arrivals and departures. Now I am a bit confused as the page that came up when I clicked on the link said Rostock, not Warnemunde. I think I will check with Viking to be certain as we have an excursion booked and will need to have the correct docking location (although have been assured that Rostock is not a problem).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had written to Viking in advance to get an idea of the timing in Berlin because we were not sure what to plan. Here is what they said: "The tour starts at 7:00 a.m., and it will take around 3-3.5 hours to arrive in Berlin. Then you’ll meet with the local guide and will have 1.5 hour of panoramic drive. After that, you’ll be dropped off for your free time, which is about 4 hours. The drop off/pick up location is Gendarmenmarkt. You’ll be picked up from the same location for your transfer back to the ship." From that and additional information from the Explorer Desk we scheduled our tour to allow us an hour and a half for lunch. As it turned out, the train was delayed because of a mechanical issue, so we went directly to meet our rickshaw. Viking extended the departure time to match the delay and so we didn't miss out on our time in Berlin.

Thanks Granny27

Jimgri thank you for the link to the port arrivals and departures. Now I am a bit confused as the page that came up when I clicked on the link said Rostock, not Warnemunde. I think I will check with Viking to be certain as we have an excursion booked and will need to have the correct docking location (although have been assured that Rostock is not a problem).

I understand the confusion. Strictly speaking, the port IS Rostock but it is divided into two distinct parts, the main cruise terminal adjacent to Warnemünde Station and the commercial harbour just south of Warnemünde across the River Warnow. According to the Port authorities, Viking Star will dock at P7 on the 17th September. This is one of the Warnemünde cruise terminal piers. Ships docking at the overflow commercial harbour have different numbers, eg LP31. By all means double-check with Viking, but I'm not sure they understand the difference between Warnemünde and Rostock. Even their website manages to confuse things by listing Berlin (Warnemünde) as the stop after Gdańsk!

Jingling - I emailed Tellus@Vikingcruises.com as has been suggested by members of the Forum and received a very nice email back confirming that the German port for the September 9 cruise is indeed Warnemunde. The Viking rep gave the address as Am Passagierkai 3 18119 Warnemunde. Maybe more detail than you want or need but is very helpful to me. Thanks for giving me the prompt to have accurate information. Details matter in this situation.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums