Shorex Tipping Question (Italy / Croatia)

AdventureGal79

Hello!

I see where there is a suggested tip amount for onboard Viking staff.

Does anyone have recommendations and currency / amounts for tipping other people during shore excursions, specifically Italy and Croatia?

We are on the October 18th Italian Sojourn itinerary on the Viking Sun. Here are the ports - the web site wouldn't give excursion info for Sibenik (Croatia), but the description mentions the Krka waterfalls, which we'll certainly do.

• Venice, Italy
  • Sibenik, Croatia
  • Bari, Italy
  • Crotone, Italy
  • Sicily (Messina), Italy
  • Naples, Italy
  • Rome, Italy

I'm planning on ordering some currency from my bank before we leave, but I also don't want a ton of foreign currency left over! So I'd like to plan out how much of which currency I need to get for tipping (and then I'll add on some for shopping).

Hello!

I see where there is a suggested tip amount for onboard Viking staff.

Does anyone have recommendations and currency / amounts for tipping other people during shore excursions, specifically Italy and Croatia?

We are on the October 18th Italian Sojourn itinerary on the Viking Sun. Here are the ports - the web site wouldn't give excursion info for Sibenik (Croatia), but the description mentions the Krka waterfalls, which we'll certainly do.

• Venice, Italy
  • Sibenik, Croatia
  • Bari, Italy
  • Crotone, Italy
  • Sicily (Messina), Italy
  • Naples, Italy
  • Rome, Italy

I'm planning on ordering some currency from my bank before we leave, but I also don't want a ton of foreign currency left over! So I'd like to plan out how much of which currency I need to get for tipping (and then I'll add on some for shopping).

If you want to know more about tipping/gratuities in other countries, it is probably better to read about it on TripAdvisor or in the ports of call section of these boards (the audience is bigger).

As Phil mentioned, Viking does suggest 2 euros pp for guides on their tours and 1 euro pp for the bus driver, but tipping on a private tour is a different matter.

Phil also suggests getting coins but when you get currency from the bank, you can't always specify the denominations and you might not be able to get coins since most banks do not accept foreign coins for exchange, only bills.

Personally, I have given up getting currency from the bank before I travel. I depend on local ATMs and have never had trouble finding one in the airport upon arrival. Even if the ATM charges me a fee, it is still much less than than I would pay if I got currency from my local bank which charges me both an unfavorable exchange rate and fees.

If you want to know more about tipping/gratuities in other countries, it is probably better to read about it on TripAdvisor or in the ports of call section of these boards (the audience is bigger).

As Phil mentioned, Viking does suggest 2 euros pp for guides on their tours and 1 euro pp for the bus driver, but tipping on a private tour is a different matter.

Phil also suggests getting coins but when you get currency from the bank, you can't always specify the denominations and you might not be able to get coins since most banks do not accept foreign coins for exchange, only bills.

Personally, I have given up getting currency from the bank before I travel. I depend on local ATMs and have never had trouble finding one in the airport upon arrival. Even if the ATM charges me a fee, it is still much less than than I would pay if I got currency from my local bank which charges me both an unfavorable exchange rate and fees.

Thanks again, Peregrina! I'll look on TripAdvisor, that never occurred to me!