Live From: Under the Midnight Sun!

editor@cruisecritic

Did anyone (either on Sky or Star) catch the Blue Nose ceremony? Inexplicably, I managed to miss it today :) Would love to hear about it, and see photos....

Carolyn

BikeTreker on the other Live thread, the one from the Star, has posted pictures on his personal blog and I added a photo from last year's BlueNose on the Live thread (done much differently last year, it seems).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2512263

The link to BT's personal blog is near the start of the thread.

Speaking of time flying, we're just beyond the mid-point of our cruise. What do you still want to hear about? (Adventures in Tromso and Honnigsvag to be written today -- and fellow pax onboard, please share yours too!).

Carolyn

Carolyn

We are on the same cruise on the Sea next June. We are thinking we only need a day in Bergen to "catch up". Since it is a Monday the restaurant we want to try is closed (of course) so we picked another place. My question is: Since we overnight in Bergen, Viking encourages having dinner ashore on the first night on board (which means we could try the place we are interested in) but that means we would miss the first night's dinner on the ship.

Thoughts? We've heard great things about Viking's food and (quite frankly since we've paid for it) don't want to have dinner in Bergen at the expense of a meal on board.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Carolyn

BikeTreker on the other Live thread, the one from the Star, has posted pictures on his personal blog and I added a photo from last year's BlueNose on the Live thread (done much differently last year, it seems).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2512263

The link to BT's personal blog is near the start of the thread.

Great question, russg140. I think it really depends on how much you want to eat out in Bergen. Norway's expensive -- while we're pretty raring to go on dining out when we're traveling, unless it's a restaurant that's really compelling, I'd consider just relaxing onboard.

We did check out two that looked really good (couldn't get in, packed) and a third that we thoroughly enjoyed but then again we came in a day early.

I will say the meals onboard are superb and you can go heavy one night and light the next. There's such variety, particularly if you take advantage of the Chef's Table (we loved the French bistro menu and also enjoyed the China meal).

Having said that, we love Scottish pub food, and now that we're here, we'll probably eat of the ship for lunch....

Carolyn

Carolyn

We are on the same cruise on the Sea next June. We are thinking we only need a day in Bergen to "catch up". Since it is a Monday the restaurant we want to try is closed (of course) so we picked another place. My question is: Since we overnight in Bergen, Viking encourages having dinner ashore on the first night on board (which means we could try the place we are interested in) but that means we would miss the first night's dinner on the ship.

Thoughts? We've heard great things about Viking's food and (quite frankly since we've paid for it) don't want to have dinner in Bergen at the expense of a meal on board.

Thanks!

Honnigsvag, home of the North Cape, is the jump-off port for a trip to one of Europe’s most northern places. It’s beautiful, in a haunting, black-and-white (well, factor in some brown), stark way, not quite like the moon but sort-of. From Honningsvag, the ship offers included tours (half day) that go all the way out to North Cape, a vantage point. If the day’s clear you can see all the way to … nowhere, meaning just infinite space. If you want the experience of feeling small around massively impressive nature, this is your tour! I loved it. There also are creature comforts via a lodge with a café and a museum (it’s also a good place to get out of the wind).

If it’s a seriously cloudy, rainy day you might not see much. The ride itself, by the way, is hauntingly beautiful as well and was just as much a highlight for me as the north cape.

It’s a challenging port to manage, time-wise, though, because Viking offers a fantastic look at the Norwegian king crab industry, which is really paramount here. There are a couple of variations on the tour – an optional tour, cost depending on which you choose. In all cases you spend time on a lovely inlet, surrounded by pastel colored cabins and beautiful mountains (and even some greenery; it was the only part of Honningsvag that we saw that was lush and pretty in that kind of way). There’s a series of Sami tents and inside of each is a roaring wood fire (smells great in a rustic way). You get a demo of how Alaskan king crabs are caught and prepared for eating (with plenty of warming if you don’t want to see the gruesome parts), and then repair to the tent to have a lovely snack – all you can eat crabs, prepared perfectly by the young team that attends to us. The difference in the tours is one involves a fast-moving RIB-kind of boat and you get a good ride, right from the pier area. It can be a difficult choice for mobility impaired and can be rough (pop a Bonine before you go).

On the other hand, a bit more sedate is the option that transports you to the camp via motorcoach (20-minute ride maximum).

Did anyone else try this?

The challenge with timing here in this port is you can’t do both. The ship only stays about six hours…

Carolyn

Dear Shipwren,

As Peregrina651 so kindly confirmed, your constructive feedback is much appreciated.

We’ve enjoyed following along with your live posts and appreciate the kind words and suggestions you’ve provided along the way. If you wish to review in greater detail upon your return, please send a note to TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

In the meantime, we hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise through the North Sea!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

We really enjoyed the Seabirds of Stappen Island tour - an informative guide for our trip to and from the boat, a skilled and knowledgeable captain, lots of seabirds, including my favorite puffins, and even seals!

The hike we took in Lofoten allowed us to see some beautiful high

mountain scenery but was a lot longer then presented in the written description. It was closer to six miles than the three described and a good deal of that was up and down, with few level stretches.

I've heard several people who felt descriptions of this and other hikes, especially the distance/topography, needs to be more accurately described. "A 1 1/2 hour hike" or "demanding" doesn't really help people determine difficulty, as we all have our own pace and strengths which can be affected by terrain. The hiking guidebooks I use at home give distance, elevation gain, and information on trail surface and challenges. It would help many of us if Viking could do the same. I reluctantly decided to switch one of my later hiking excursions on this trip when the young woman I spoke with at the excursion desk didn't have any additional info about the mileage or elevation gain/loss. Since I'm rehabilitating a knee, I don't want to exceed my limits or risk holding others up.

For the most part it seems that the folks working the excursion desks only have the same printed information we have to work from. It would be nice if Viking provided them with more details and maybe have them actually go on the tours so they can talk with guests more knowledgeably about what's involved.

Please don't read this as a criticism of the excursions - just a suggestion that Viking look at ways to improve guest/trip matchmaking.

On to Scotland - the weather's getting warmer and we've had some sun. I appreciate the opportunities to relax and recharge on that at sea days!

Do you ever feel that, when you board your cruise, time (and ports of call and sea days with endless possibilities) stretch further than an infinity pool? And then, poof! You're looking down the gauntlet at your last few days onboard and thinking about all the things you haven't done?

Yes, I'm there. One thing I can tell you: In our last few days aboard Viking Sky, as we leave the Shetlands today, head to Edinburgh tomorrow for a long call, have one last delicious day at sea, and then a day (and night) in London which surely will be frenetic, I will not-be-doing-laundry. Just saying :)

Carolyn

Do you ever feel that, when you board your cruise, time (and ports of call and sea days with endless possibilities) stretch further than an infinity pool? And then, poof! You're looking down the gauntlet at your last few days onboard and thinking about all the things you haven't done?

Yes, I'm there. One thing I can tell you: In our last few days aboard Viking Sky, as we leave the Shetlands today, head to Edinburgh tomorrow for a long call, have one last delicious day at sea, and then a day (and night) in London which surely will be frenetic, I will not-be-doing-laundry. Just saying :)

Carolyn

I have been doing 12-15 day cruises lately and know exactly what you mean!

At the "few days left" mark , I usually go and book a future cruise while on board.:cool:

Excellent advice roothy123 ... re - Really helps to take a lanyard for your key card. You will use it a lot.What type of fastener (eg a hook or something similar?) do we need on the lanyard to secure the key card ? Thanks again, Frank

I forgot to bring one of my many lanyards but bought one at the North Cape. A hole was punched in my key card and it has been around my neck for several days. But then my husband's card(s) wouldn't work, in the cabin or on exiting the ship! I was then told that I should not have had the card punched. It destroys the interior mechanism! And then affects the second card.

No one had informed us of this ahead of time! So If a convenient lanyard is on your mind, it needs to be one that hold the key card inside a pocket!

I forgot to bring one of my many lanyards but bought one at the North Cape. A hole was punched in my key card and it has been around my neck for several days. But then my husband's card(s) wouldn't work, in the cabin or on exiting the ship! I was then told that I should not have had the card punched. It destroys the interior mechanism! And then affects the second card.

No one had informed us of this ahead of time! So If a convenient lanyard is on your mind, it needs to be one that hold the key card inside a pocket!

Who punched the hole for you? If it was a crew member, I'm surprised they didn't know not to do it.

Carolyn

Definitely no time for laundry when there are all those waffles and Kringle cake to eat at Mamsen's - eh Carolyn! ;p:hearteyes: LOL!

Cullen Skink soup is on the menu in the restaurant this evening - it's a speciality from my part of the world (North of Scotland) - so I'm looking forward to the chef's interpretation of it.

It's a traditional creamy (milk and cream) fish (smoked haddock) and potato soup made with leeks (only the white bits). Not blended, but whole generous pieces of fish, potatoes and leeks.

This evening the sun is shining through the clouds as we sail past the Fair Isle and south towards Orkney again heading to Edinburgh tomorrow. The North Sea is calm.

Azulann - great thinking, we have a cruise booked on another line later this year and we are sorely tempted to cancel (we would lose the deposit) and book another VIking cruise! We have has such a great time on this beautiful ship. :D

All, I just found this thread two days ago searching Roll Calls other than my own (I'm on the July 1 sailing of the Sky and had been following the Star roll calls but was unaware of the Bergen - London Sky roll call). I can't even begin to tell you how excited for my trip you all have made me! Keep sharing and keep this thread alive for everyone who is cruising in the future. Carolyn, I've showed everyone who will listen to me your Instagram photos, you have an incredible eye! Thank you all for taking time out of your trip to share your experiences!

A friend told me yesterday that she hoped I'd have fabulous weather for my cruise and I just laughed. I explained a bit better what I'd be expecting and she was horrified. I told her it's ok, we went to the temperate rainforests in the Pacific Northwest for our honeymoon in the rainy season (October); I imagine the weather will be very similar! Goretex is your friend!

jodi0553,

I am on the July 1 cruise on Sky with you. I have been monitoring everything I can find. Such helpful info being shared. I am a FB friend with someone on Star (June 17 ) doing same cruise we are doing. I have been monitoring live cams of the various ports and watching their weather.

Today in Molde it was gorgeous with bright sun. Geiranger was bright and sunny and people walking around in shorts and crops and short sleeves. Of course they may be northerners who are used to cold weather.

We will probably meet you at our M&M. Almost time to pack. Really looking forward to a great cruise and thank you everyone who posts to the roll calls and other forums!

All, I just found this thread two days ago searching Roll Calls other than my own (I'm on the July 1 sailing of the Sky and had been following the Star roll calls but was unaware of the Bergen - London Sky roll call). I can't even begin to tell you how excited for my trip you all have made me! Keep sharing and keep this thread alive for everyone who is cruising in the future. Carolyn, I've showed everyone who will listen to me your Instagram photos, you have an incredible eye! Thank you all for taking time out of your trip to share your experiences!

A friend told me yesterday that she hoped I'd have fabulous weather for my cruise and I just laughed. I explained a bit better what I'd be expecting and she was horrified. I told her it's ok, we went to the temperate rainforests in the Pacific Northwest for our honeymoon in the rainy season (October); I imagine the weather will be very similar! Goretex is your friend!

Edited by LeRenardrouge

Reflections on a couple of the Lerwick/Shetland excursions...

My husband took the Ancient Civilazations tour and while they did visit one fascinating site and stopped for a few others, he's still trying to figure out the reason for a fortyfive minute stop in a village where the guide informed them there were two very nice knitting shops. Nice village but no real "ancient" aspects. While I would have loved the knitting shops, I never would have realized they'd be a feature of this particular tour.

I did the Castles, Valleys and Ponies tour. We visited a museum with some good information about the Shetland Bus and the connection with Norway's resistance in WWII, but if you'd already heard the Viking historian give his talk on Norway at War there was not a lot of new info. The castle (singular) that we saw was an interesting semi-ruin right next to the museum. This stop was self-guided - we wandered at will for about an hour, returning to the bus at a designated time.

We also stopped beside the road for several short photo ops, (the valleys portion?) They weren't necessarily in the most scenic of areas - I usually try to avoid shots that include power lines, highways or industrial areas. The highlight for me was the visit with the ponies - lots of information from a woman who breeds them - their origins, how breeding is tracked and recorded, history of their work in the mines and the challenges of raising them now that there's less demand for their skills, plus several good stories. While the ponies were on the other side of a fence we could really see them up close and get good photographs - including of a mare and young foal.

In general the tour included quite a few facts about the area, but with the exception of the visit with the ponies, it was harder for me to get a feeling for that somewhat undefinable sense of place. If I had it to do over, I would probably opt for the shorter included tour which would have left more time to explore a bit of Lerwick on foot.

Shipwren,

We are doing the kayaking in Geiranger and curious as to how they get in and out of the kayaks--do you have to get in the water to get in and out or do they do it from a dock.

My name starts with a "G" but for sure it is NOT Grace. We have been kayaking once before (two hours in the Intercoastal Waterway at Hilton Head Island which had pretty strong tides and some choppy water and boat wakes) and one canoing adventure that involved an unexpected capsizing. So I definitely class myself in the "no experience" category.

I am wondering how wet to anticipate getting and whether you should be wearing water shoes or sandles if you have to launch in the water.

Glad to hear the guides are accustomed to those of us who need help.

I thoroughly enjoyed the kayaking excursion in Geiringer. It's an upper body workout (good for those of us with a bum knee) but doable for folks who've never kayaked before. We were laughing that the toughest part of the whole trip was getting out of the kayak at the end - not a graceful process for most of us. The guides are great about helping folks in and out the kayak - accept their assistance!

In Geiringer we got in and out of the kayaks from the dock - feet stayed dry and the guides helped as needed. I wore water sandals with wool socks which worked well. They give you a spray skirt, but I'd also recommend something waterproof like a rain jacket to wear under your life jacket.

The fjord was pretty smooth the day we were there - just a few boat wakes.

In Tromso they gave us waterproof booties and paddle jackets, in addition to life jackets and spray skirts. We launched from the beach, but basically had the bow person get in, scooted the kayak partway into the water, then loaded the back person and launched the boat the rest of the way. The Tromso paddle was a bit more challenging - the wind came up as we turned to come back and it felt a bit as if we were paddling uphill.

On both trips they had a place to safely store items you didn't want to take on the water - like my backpack with extra dry clothes that I wound up not needing. Better safe than sorry :)

Shipwren,

We are doing the kayaking in Geiranger and curious as to how they get in and out of the kayaks--do you have to get in the water to get in and out or do they do it from a dock.

My name starts with a "G" but for sure it is NOT Grace. We have been kayaking once before (two hours in the Intercoastal Waterway at Hilton Head Island which had pretty strong tides and some choppy water and boat wakes) and one canoing adventure that involved an unexpected capsizing. So I definitely class myself in the "no experience" category.

I am wondering how wet to anticipate getting and whether you should be wearing water shoes or sandles if you have to launch in the water.

Glad to hear the guides are accustomed to those of us who need help.

Shipwren,

What great info. Relieves my mind knowing what to expect and what to wear. I know getting out at a dock can still be "laughable." Must be why someone at Viking said take a sense of humor. What they didn't say was what my imagination filled in....

In Geiringer we got in and out of the kayaks from the dock - feet stayed dry and the guides helped as needed. I wore water sandals with wool socks which worked well. They give you a spray skirt, but I'd also recommend something waterproof like a rain jacket to wear under your life jacket.

The fjord was pretty smooth the day we were there - just a few boat wakes.

In Tromso they gave us waterproof booties and paddle jackets, in addition to life jackets and spray skirts. We launched from the beach, but basically had the bow person get in, scooted the kayak partway into the water, then loaded the back person and launched the boat the rest of the way. The Tromso paddle was a bit more challenging - the wind came up as we turned to come back and it felt a bit as if we were paddling uphill.

On both trips they had a place to safely store items you didn't want to take on the water - like my backpack with extra dry clothes that I wound up not needing. Better safe than sorry :)

How do you all feel about an all-midnight-all-the-time cruise of the Northern Lights in January - March? Big announcement by Viking today... Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7917

The thing is -- and first of all, I'm in -- these ships are perfect for winter cruising. So many cozy spots indoors, a pool with a magradome, the fireplaces in the Explorers' Lounge and in the spa, the spa (!). Perfectly comfortable.

Would you consider?

Carolyn

With you in mind, fairbourne, we ordered the Cullen Skink soup. Delicious. What's the name mean?

Azulann offers good advice. We literally have no other cruises planned this year (that'll change, but for now it's an odd thing for this working cruise journo!).

Loved Edinburgh, had a blast. After all our lovely nature-oriented ports, we hit the shops and the wine bar. And lunched at a pub. Fabulous.

Carolyn

Definitely no time for laundry when there are all those waffles and Kringle cake to eat at Mamsen's - eh Carolyn! ;p:hearteyes: LOL!

Cullen Skink soup is on the menu in the restaurant this evening - it's a speciality from my part of the world (North of Scotland) - so I'm looking forward to the chef's interpretation of it.

It's a traditional creamy (milk and cream) fish (smoked haddock) and potato soup made with leeks (only the white bits). Not blended, but whole generous pieces of fish, potatoes and leeks.

This evening the sun is shining through the clouds as we sail past the Fair Isle and south towards Orkney again heading to Edinburgh tomorrow. The North Sea is calm.

Azulann - great thinking, we have a cruise booked on another line later this year and we are sorely tempted to cancel (we would lose the deposit) and book another VIking cruise! We have has such a great time on this beautiful ship. :D

How do you all feel about an all-midnight-all-the-time cruise of the Northern Lights in January - March? Big announcement by Viking today... Link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7917

The thing is -- and first of all, I'm in -- these ships are perfect for winter cruising. So many cozy spots indoors, a pool with a magradome, the fireplaces in the Explorers' Lounge and in the spa, the spa (!). Perfectly comfortable.

Would you consider?

Carolyn

Carolyn, these cruises have been booking for a few weeks now and there has already been some discussion in this thread

Viking Ocean = Northern Lights cruise - Norway - Questions

Would you consider?

Carolyn

We booked the March 14, 2019 cruise a month or so ago. We had planned to book a Viking Ocean Mediterranean in Fall 2018 but their release was delayed so long that we booked Oceania. This itinerary looks intriguing.

Also a Carolyn

Hi, Jodi0553, and thanks for the nice words and support. I don't mind admitting I'm ever so slightly envious that you have the entire trip to look forward to, though am grateful to have had the experience.

The weather was as much a part of the trip as anything else. I'm writing a piece with tips for this kind of cruise and one tip will be: Bring more than one wool sweater :) -- I've worn the one I packed almost every day. Rather tired of it!!!

Carolyn

Somehow I missed it! Glad to get caught up on all the Viking news :)

Carolyn

Carolyn, these cruises have been booking for a few weeks now and there has already been some discussion in this thread

Viking Ocean = Northern Lights cruise - Norway - Questions

We booked the March 14, 2019 cruise a month or so ago. We had planned to book a Viking Ocean Mediterranean in Fall 2018 but their release was delayed so long that we booked Oceania. This itinerary looks intriguing.

Also a Carolyn

I came within days of doing the same as Oceania, a fine cruise line, had the itinerary closest to what I liked about Viking's Med Odyssey cruise that I wanted but could not get as all sailings were booked and nothing after March 2018. When sailing on Viking Sea's Homelands cruise in early June they had a nice $ offer for booking while on the cruise. I badgered Joey the onboard sales guy daily and just before the cruise ended, the fall 2018 Med Odyssey opened up so we booked it for September 2018 on the Sky.