Must book an ADA cabin if bringing a wheelchair? Transfer chair?

dcsam

Since Viking will not allow us to bring our Travelscoot, we will most likely bring our foldable transfer chair. But our TA sent info from Viking stating, "Only un-powered wheelchairs can be carried on condition that the guest travels in an ADA cabin'. We are past final payment and are not booked in an ADA cabin. Rarely will we use it while onboard as my husband gets around with trekking poles. I was hoping to bring some type of device that would help during our airport travel and while in port. I can fold down the Travelscoot and carry it under my arm (30 pounds), and the transfer chair is even lighter.

I would think they would permit us to go even if we're not in an ADA cabin. But their policy states otherwise.

Since we booked with a TA, won't every correspondence need to go through her?

No. TellUs are the problem solvers. Send them an e-mail, tell them what you told us and ask them to give you a call. (Be sure to include your current booking number).

I emailed Viking and they were prompt in replying. They said they would be getting in touch with me within 48 hours. Thank you for providing me with their email - I'll let you know the outcome.

Received a prompt reply from Viking. We will be able to bring a foldable/collapsible wheelchair or transfer chair. And we do not have to be booked in an ADA cabin.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact them. For awhile there, I was wondering if they'd make us cancel. Their policy wording is a bit confusing, so it did pay to check.

Received a prompt reply from Viking. We will be able to bring a foldable/collapsible wheelchair or transfer chair. And we do not have to be booked in an ADA cabin.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact them. For awhile there, I was wondering if they'd make us cancel. Their policy wording is a bit confusing, so it did pay to check.

So glad for you and your husband. Now enjoy your cruise with this worry off your plate.

Traveling in the airport should be easy too, just tell your airline before the flight or when you get to the airport and it will make things easier for both of you. Viking did have regular wheelchairs waiting when you left the ship I noticed when we were on the Sea in Feb. I do not know how you can reserve them but you can send them another email and pass the info on. I never saw or heard on CC any reference to Viking having an ADA cabin (I seem to remember that they didnt have to offer them). We had 3 walkers and a wheelchair on our Rome tour and the guide was very helpful with different routes to travel.

Traveling in the airport should be easy too, just tell your airline before the flight or when you get to the airport and it will make things easier for both of you. Viking did have regular wheelchairs waiting when you left the ship I noticed when we were on the Sea in Feb. I do not know how you can reserve them but you can send them another email and pass the info on. I never saw or heard on CC any reference to Viking having an ADA cabin (I seem to remember that they didnt have to offer them). We had 3 walkers and a wheelchair on our Rome tour and the guide was very helpful with different routes to travel.

Pyroforyou, I was curious about Viking's Oceans ships offering ADA staterooms and checked to see if they did. It certainly isn't real obvious, but by studying the ships' deck plans there are two cabins that are billed as ADA on Deck 6 (cabins 620 and 621) which are Penthouse Junior Suites. There is a note in small type below the the diagram indicating that. As far as I can tell, they are the only ones on each ship.