Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships

60andhappy

I am loving this thread. There is some great info on here. I feel validated that there are people who are just as OCD as me!!! ;) I truly mean this in the kindest sense of the meaning. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!!

Thanks, but I'm not OCD, just garden variety crazy.:D:eek::D

Save

I am now quite accomplished at using the machines and giving explanations to the newbies who wander in! Viking does need a step stool in the laundry room for those of us who are vertically challenged ...hard to see into those dryers!

BUT I am so looking forward to 120 days of NO washing machines on our next cruise!!!!

Viking does need a step stool in the laundry room for those of us who are vertically challenged ...hard to see into those dryers!

Let along reach the clothing that has, of course, migrated to the back wall of the dryer.

I was getting on here to ask about laundry on the Viking Sky and have to say WOW! All my questions answered prior to asking. Only 1 left. I thought about taking some Tide Pods. I am assuming they would work just fine.

I was getting on here to ask about laundry on the Viking Sky and have to say WOW! All my questions answered prior to asking. Only 1 left. I thought about taking some Tide Pods. I am assuming they would work just fine.

Not necessarily. Front loading machines need low sudsing HE detergent. Moreover, even though you could add your own, Viking has asked you not to, so that it does not damage the washer itself and the water filtering system on board the ship. Viking supplies an eco-friendly, low sudsing, allergen-free detergent that they know works well with their equipment.

The detergent was fine. No need to bring pods. I found that choosing the right cycle that included LONGER wash/rinse cycles assured that the clothes were clean and well rinsed.

Speaking of chatting along the back fence, I had the most pleasant conversation in the laundry room of the Star.

I went to fetch my clothes from the dryer and found that they needed a few more minutes, so I sat down to wait. There was a young man ironing his shirt. I watched him for a reward minutes then asked him if he was in the military. He smiled and said he was but wondered how I knew. I told him the only time I had ever seen my husband iron was during his time in the military when his uniform shirts had to be just so. We laughed at that and talked about his time in the service. It was quite a nice way to spend the time.

Becki

Dee, too funny that you were in the laundry room when they were filming! Those were my pictures that Sharon posted while we were onboard the Sky. I thought the laundry was great...and we did, in fact, "take numbers"....when we showed up to the laundry room we would figure out who had been there first, etc....we'd leave our bag...someone was there to say...well, her bag was first, and she's got 31 minutes till her turn. When it was my turn the first time I put my laundry in the washer and it didn't work!! We all knew how it should and we kind of got together to figure out why it didn't...the door wasn't shutting. I called the number, they sent someone up who tested it and confirmed the door wasn't working. She put a sign on it! The next lady in line was very gracious and had me take her spot in line to put my laundry into her machine. It was all quite civilized! And the detergent was great..smelled nice on the clothes and no dryer sheets were needed.

• 1 month later...
That's what we do, washing those unmentionables in the shower each morning rather than the sink. Works very well for us, especial since we bring only 5 shirts each and I'm not spending my whole vacation doing laundry.

My husband suggests that it might be even more efficient if you wear them in the shower to wash them when you wash your hair!

My husband suggests that it might be even more efficient if you wear them in the shower to wash them when you wash your hair!

Hmm. Tried it. Please tell to hubby that all efficiency is lost when you go to remove the wet panties/brief/boxers for the drying portion of the program. :evilsmile:

Think I'm crazy if you want but putting myself thru all the inconveniences described here just to avoid spending time using the laundry room, just doesn't compute for me. Especially the clothes drying aspect of it. But to each his own. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Think I'm crazy if you want but putting myself thru all the inconveniences described here just to avoid spending time using the laundry room, just doesn't compute for me. Especially the clothes drying aspect of it. But to each his own. [emoji41]

Actually, hand washing the undies takes an extra five minutes in the morning (we each do our own) and everything else goes to the laundry service, so, yeah, anything to avoid the laundry room.

Love this thread and the humor of some of the posts.

I will use the self service laundry , at least once. We will have many sea days on my sailing, a transatlantic.

More important for me, is that they have a iron and ironing board in the laundry room,right?

I wear lots of cottons and linens and this will be a bonus for me, less wrinkles , at least on my clothes:D

Love this thread and the humor of some of the posts.

I will use the self service laundry , at least once. We will have many sea days on my sailing, a transatlantic.

More important for me, is that they have a iron and ironing board in the laundry room,right?

I wear lots of cottons and linens and this will be a bonus for me, less wrinkles , at least on my clothes:D

Yes they do. Two irons & half length ironing boards. We had a little problem on the Star last July (2016) in the 5th deck laundry. Two boards but only one iron. Somebody had yanked the power cord for the 2nd iron so hard that it was sheered off at the wall. I would hope that in the intervening months, that has long since been repaired.

Two boards but only one iron. Somebody had yanked the power cord for the 2nd iron so hard that it was sheered off at the wall. I would hope that in the intervening months, that has long since been repaired.

We were on the fifth deck on the Star in February. I am nearly certain that both ironing boards had irons. I would have noticed if it hadn't.

Wonderful info. I had assumed there wasn't laundry service since they provided machines. I'm thrilled to be able to cut back on the packing as DH only wears dress shirts. Washing and ironing aren't in my definition of vacation. I do my knit tops and underwear in our cabin. Happy, happy.

Wonderful info. I had assumed there wasn't laundry service since they provided machines. I'm thrilled to be able to cut back on the packing as DH only wears dress shirts. Washing and ironing aren't in my definition of vacation. I do my knit tops and underwear in our cabin. Happy, happy.

You can always pay to have your laundry done if you want. Penthouse Jr Suites and above include laundry and dry cleaning service (and pressing). Penthouse Veranda includes pressing service but no laundry or dry cleaning.

Laundry AND dry cleaning! (Unlike the river river cruises which only offer laundry service--and don't have a launderette).

My wife and I were on the first sailing of a Viking Oceans Ship from Istanbul to Stockholm. She is one of those that wakes in the middle of the night. That's when she did laundry. She says she never had a problem getting a washer or a dryer! Me, I just slept thu the night! :D

My wife and I were on the first sailing of a Viking Oceans Ship from Istanbul to Stockholm. She is one of those that wakes in the middle of the night. That's when she did laundry. She says she never had a problem getting a washer or a dryer! Me, I just slept thu the night! :D

Hey, this is a good tip to add to the "Tips for New Cruisers" threads. And the laundry room is equipped with a TV and a sofa, so if you don't want to read while you wait for your laundry, you can channel surf or catch up on the enrichment lectures.

I am someone who does NOT stay in the laundry room.

Set my watch to be back in time!!!

and in all honesty I do not give an offender 20 minutes....but do fold the clothes if I take them out of the drier....or turn the drier back on if clothes are still wet.......

Luckily for us on the Star in May everyone played fair. No laundry was left in dryers. Some stayed. Some left but no one was late for their laundry. Only problem we had was that the washer was not getting soap into it. My husband jiggled the tube and voila, everyone got soap. We weren't sure how long that had been going on so I'm betting some people thought they actually washed their clothes. My suggestion is to make sure that you see suds before walking out the door.