Carry on or check in !!

Papakogal

Me and the husband will be going on our first cruise in October on the Carnival Breeze ... I'm debating on only doing a carry on suit case ! How soon will my cabin be available? I just figure better to unpack early with carry on rather than waiting for luggage to arrive ?? Helpppp ...

Sent from my LGL83BL using Forums mobile app

Since we usually drive, I do like to have the luxury of having a full size suitcase. I love the ritual of unpacking, finding places for everything, etc., and have always had plenty of time to do so before muster. I also do not like dragging my carry on around ship while waiting for my cabin. However, it is truly an individual decision.

If you can do all you need in a carry on...more power to you! Bags usually arrive before dinner, but not always. Some arrive earlier...some later...it's not a huge deal. We've had some show up prior to us getting to the cabin...once 2 bags arrived, and the last one didn't show until about 9pm!

The only thing I carry on (assuming we are too early for the cabins) is valuables, Rx's and my makeup!

No need to weepy about the checked bag. Just have a small backpack with swimsuit and the essentials just in case you want to enjoy the pool before your bag arrives. My last sailing the bag came by the time I'd had lunch and went to my cabin. If it's a short cruise I can do carryon. For a week, no can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why not just check the carry on at the port with the dock workers? That way you don't have to drag your suitcase with you all day until the cabins are ready. Seriously its not a big deal to give all unnecessary luggage to the porters so you can enjoy your early afternoon at lunch without having to have someone sit with your stuff, block areas where people are walking through and have an easier time dancing.... :D

I really don't see any advantage to traveling on a cruise with a carry on early. I like to get to the ship early, explore, have lunch, and start using my drink package. I don't like lugging more than a backpack around with me for that.

By the time you go to bed the first night you'll be settled in and unpacked - not sure what the difference is between doing that at 2 vs 5 vs 9. As soon as I get on the boat I'm on vacation. Schlepping a bag would be a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me and the husband will be going on our first cruise in October on the Carnival Breeze ... I'm debating on only doing a carry on suit case ! How soon will my cabin be available? I just figure better to unpack early with carry on rather than waiting for luggage to arrive ?? Helpppp ...

Although there may be exceptions, cabins are typically ready by about 1:00 p.m. The Breeze has a passenger capacity of 3,690 passengers. If each passenger has two checked bags to be delivered to their cabin, that's 7,380 bags. My suggestion would be to put whatever you think you might need for most of Embarkation Day in your carry on, and everything else in your checked bag(s). The ship's crew does the best they can to deliver luggage to the cabins as quickly as possible. However, with over 7,000 bags, it takes a while.

For a 7-day cruise there's no sense in cramming all your things into a carry on.

Pack a suitcase with all your clothes, then bring a separate carry on bag with important papers, medication, cameras, toiletries, important stuff you need to have.

Try and arrive at the cruise terminal around 10 to 10:30 am so you beat the rush. It will be a madhouse by noon. Plus the faster you get on board the sooner you'll be on vacation.

Have you considered Faster to the Fun, for a few dollars more you can board earlier than everyone else.

Once you get to the pier you check your suitcase tip the porter $10 to $20, proceed to check-in. With any luck you'll be on board by 11:30 am or noon.

Then head up to lunch at the lido (buffet restaurant).

Typically you should get your suitcase about 4 or 5 pm maybe earlier.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

I have done 7 day cruise with carry-on only, usually due luggage restrictions on flights.

But there is no need on a cruise if you are not restricted with your luggage.

I check my bags and in carry-on I have make-up, valuables, electronics, swimwear and a change of clothes for dinner that night. I have had luggage beat me to my cabin & I have had it arrived at 10pm.

Also you do not have to sit in your cabin waiting for your luggage. Many a cruise review of first timers who have said first day was ruined because they were sitting in their cabin all day waiting for their luggage.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

For a 7-day cruise there's no sense in cramming all your things into a carry on.

Pack a suitcase with all your clothes, then bring a separate carry on bag with important papers, medication, cameras, toiletries, important stuff you need to have.

Try and arrive at the cruise terminal around 10 to 10:30 am so you beat the rush. It will be a madhouse by noon. Plus the faster you get on board the sooner you'll be on vacation.

Have you considered Faster to the Fun, for a few dollars more you can board earlier than everyone else.

Once you get to the pier you check your suitcase tip the porter $10 to $20, proceed to check-in. With any luck you'll be on board by 11:30 am or noon.

Then head up to lunch at the lido (buffet restaurant).

Typically you should get your suitcase about 4 or 5 pm maybe earlier.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan your info is greatly appreciated ...

Suggest if you check your luggage to have a small carry on for things like electronics, medicines, travel documents, and maybe something to freshen up with should your luggage not get to your stateroom before you want to freshen up before dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Check the big bag. The carry-on has a bathing suit and anything essential. We board, find lunch, have a drink and we're usually in the cabin with luggage by 4:00. Go up to a top deck for the sail away and wave good-bye!

Then back to the cabin to start to put things away and explore the cabin. Get interrupted to go to muster.

Back to the cabin, finish unpacking, take a shower, get dressed. Take the ship diagram and explore every floor. Then find a lounge and order a frothy drink with an umbrella. The cruise has begun!!

We travel with carryon-sized bags and daypacks one each apiece -- but we make use of the porters curbside for the suitcases. Just because they fit through the scanners, they don't HAVE to be kept with you! What everyone said above: a pain to go to lunch (esp. Lido/buffet lunch) with even wheeled suitcases... HAL doesn't even have trays! daypacks are okay, leaving both hands free, and all IMPORTANT (i.e. valuable and necessary) things are in them.

I always do carry-on only when I cruise on Carnival and can snag a Faster to the Fun pass. I take my carry-on bags directly to my room to drop off and wash clothes midway through the cruise. I prefer doing this over packing a large suitcase, but RCL and NCL don't have self service laundry, so I have to pack a large suitcase.

If you don't get a Faster to the Fun Pass, you will need to lug your bags around until your room is ready. It's possible you can get away with taking your bags to your room and leaving them outside of your door, but you might be stopped from doing that. I would check even a carry-on bag if I couldn't take it directly to my room.