Silver Seas Beverage Package

deec

My opinion

$20/pp/day on our 21 day cruise added significantly to the bill. I thought it was silly to do since it was so easy to bring aboard a bottle of scotch for our room and there was free wine and beer at lunch. If we had done that there were many ports along the way ( we were on the Barcelona/ Baltic and Beyond) that had duty free options in the port terminals to replenish.

BUT my husband wanted to include it. I tried mightily to get through the many offered cocktails but did not make it by a LONG shot........just too busy most of the days for any late nights or long poolside afternoons! However it was GREAT to be able to grab a drink or glass of wine as we boarded after excursions, have a Bailys on my ice cream dessert, or sipping an after dinner drink watching the sky come alive with twinkling stars!!! This was not a warm weather cruise but I did see some yummy looking frozen drinks being served. We did NOT need the package but it was fun to have!!!

The premium wines were better than those included.......but there were NOT many choices ( I think 4 or 5 whites and as many reds) ... the list only changed once during the cruise and I DID NOT like many of the white choices the second time (however some of the bars still had a supply of the first choices) . The couple we traveled with did NOT have the beverage package and they were ALWAYS served wine long before someone came to help us ( this was true in the MDR and at lunch it was almost impossible to get a non-included option) After the first week we brought a glass from the bar to the table at dinner....at lunch I went to Aquavit and got my own!! The Chef's Table wine selections for the premium package were ALWAYS better than those included.

It was also inconvenient not to have our mini-bar stocked ( we were in the lowest cabin category ). Calling room service seemed like such a waste of time for them. But it was always delivered quickly (less than 10 minutes) and with a smile.

The ship did not stock some of our favorites......Hendrick's Gin, St. Germain, Ginger Beer ( for moscow mules or dark 'n stormys each of which would have most appropriate for this cruise).....My husband enjoyed the beer choices and found a new scotch that he liked, Abelour.

The ABSOLUTE BEST part of of this package was getting to know the bartenders!!!! Had we not had the package we would not have perched at the bar to order drinks and get to know this delightful staff!!! Don't tell anyone BUT the Explorer's Lounge is the perfect place on the SKY!

So glad the premium package WILL BE INCLUDED on our next journey! We will probably purchase it again when it is not included ...for us it seemed to have value added benefits beyond just being able to have a drink and not evaluate the cost!

I do wish that the cruise lines would consider some better options for those that might only drink wine.

The German Cruise Line Hapag-Lloyd's contention is that by not being inclusive of alcoholic beverages they are able to offer a much wider choice.

On the Europa 2 they have 450 varieties of wine, and 250 varieties of spirits including 37 gins.

Thanks for your experience with the beverage package. We will be doing the Silver beverage package too.

I never thought you could order a drink from room service! Who knew! I would rather just get a drink at a bar and bring it back to my cabin.

I do like the variety of options on Viking: wine, beer at lunch and dinner, beverge package, able to bring wine and spirits on board anytime, and included soda, coffee, bottled water for all.

Thanks for your experience with the beverage package. We will be doing the Silver beverage package too.

I never thought you could order a drink from room service! Who knew! I would rather just get a drink at a bar and bring it back to my cabin.

I do like the variety of options on Viking: wine, beer at lunch and dinner, beverge package, able to bring wine and spirits on board anytime, and included soda, coffee, bottled water for all.

I think bottled water is unlimited. I thought that in the V categories, if you have the silver spirit beverage package, then you get drink refill in your cabin. No extra snacks but. You get soda and liquor.

Fpacifico,

I asked and was told my mini bar could not be stocked/restocked with either soft drinks or alcohol. I only asked once so do not know if I had kept asking I might have gotten another answer. My husband usually asked for a Coke when we left a bar during the day. I occasionally called room service for a drink..........hoping they would change the silly rules!!!! We were quite far forward so it was an easy to get to the Explore's Lounge to get a drink to go, take it to take to the cabin while getting ready for dinner. If we missed lunch because we returned late it was great to order a glass of wine, the cheese plate and watch was happening on shore from the balcony. Choices are great!

Fpacifico,

I asked and was told my mini bar could not be stocked/restocked with either soft drinks or alcohol. I only asked once so do not know if I had kept asking I might have gotten another answer. My husband usually asked for a Coke when we left a bar during the day. I occasionally called room service for a drink..........hoping they would change the silly rules!!!! We were quite far forward so it was an easy to get to the Explore's Lounge to get a drink to go, take it to take to the cabin while getting ready for dinner. If we missed lunch because we returned late it was great to order a glass of wine, the cheese plate and watch was happening on shore from the balcony. Choices are great!

Thanks for info, like you l'll just use room service for our Caribbean cruise.

This'll probably seem like a silly question to all you Americans - but how much do you tip if you order a drink from room service?

We Brits aren't quite as into tipping as you are, and I hate to do the wrong/mean thing! :rolleyes:

This'll probably seem like a silly question to all you Americans - but how much do you tip if you order a drink from room service?

We Brits aren't quite as into tipping as you are, and I hate to do the wrong/mean thing! :rolleyes:

For a drink, $2/3. That's for two drinks.

We are taking our 2nd Viking cruise later this year and are considering this upgrade. We loved the complimentary wine with lunch and dinner but we are tempted for more. Sounds like cocktails are included as well as better wines? I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a Bloody Mary at breakfast before touring but maybe it's not the worst idea either! I need to learn more about this.

We are taking our 2nd Viking cruise later this year and are considering this upgrade. We loved the complimentary wine with lunch and dinner but we are tempted for more. Sounds like cocktails are included as well as better wines? I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a Bloody Mary at breakfast before touring but maybe it's not the worst idea either! I need to learn more about this.

Mostly, we like cocktails before dinner and my husband and our friend like good wine. They also like their Italian liquor after dinner. I think that sea days will get the most activity, lol. It's also nice to have Irish coffee or Bergen coffee.

Yes cocktails and some better wines. We have a local drink at our yacht club called "the HUMMER" ...uses ice cream, rum and Kahlua. We brought ice cream from dinner to the bar and the bartender made them one night for us!!!!

Some of the bars had different bar menus but you were able to get whatever you want from whatever bar. If they did not have someone ran to the other bar to get it...........the bartenders on the SKY were the best!!!! per Viking's verbage on the end of cruise survey "They exceeded our expectations!"

We are still humming and arring about the drinks package - I like the idea of just been able to get a drink when you return to the ship - especially as we are unlikely to return for lunch - the only time I saw long queues to get back on a ship at lunch time was in Norway as food and especially alcoholic drinks are very expensive compared to the rest of Europe.

The $40/day for us on Homelands doesn't seem worth it with the occasional pre-dinner cocktail at a reasonable fee. About 8 or 8.5 Euros for a martini and 10 for a single malt scotch. My bar bill for an 8 night river cruise is always well under $50. There are so many nights with free champagne and the open bar Explorers cocktail party. However, if you're fussy about wines, it could be the best way to go, unless even the better wines still aren't satisfactory to your palate. My Viking Journey lists beverages and prices.

Double check, I think Viking adds tipping at the end of your trip. A daily amount of $15 a day plus additional tips for bars and spa treatments of 15-18%. Remember the ship is cashless while on board. I will go on the website and see if I can find where I read this.

Double check, I think Viking adds tipping at the end of your trip. A daily amount of $15 a day plus additional tips for bars and spa treatments of 15-18%. Remember the ship is cashless while on board. I will go on the website and see if I can find where I read this.

I went to the website and yes they add the tips at the end of the cruise $15 a day. You do have the option to change the amount if you wish. 15% is added for the bar bill and deck service from the bar.

But the question was about what to tip the person who delivers the drinks that you order via room service to your cabin. Some people feel that this is an added service beyond just serving a drink in the bar (where the gratuity is already included in the price of the drink) and should be tipped. The person asking the question is from the UK and he was asking advice on how to handle this situation. Also, being from the UK, the gratuities that will be charged to onboard accounts at the end of the cruise for those who booked in the US have already been paid as part of his cruise fare because he booked in the UK. In reality, the ship is not entirely cashless; small gratuities for services rendered are many times paid directly to an individual in cash, such as for room service.

But don't forget to get international currency. It can take 2 days from your bank and if you have a bank account, they deduct the money and don't charge you a fee

We purposely came home with a couple of hundred in euro after our last trip knowing that we would be heading back to the eurozone eventually and even if we don't have a trip in mind when we leave next January, we will do the same again, especially if the rates are as low next January as they were this past January. Personally, I hate doing currency conversions in the US; I always feel like I am being taken advantage of and prefer to take my chances with the machines in the airport.

We purposely came home with a couple of hundred in euro after our last trip knowing that we would be heading back to the eurozone eventually and even if we don't have a trip in mind when we leave next January, we will do the same again, especially if the rates are as low next January as they were this past January. Personally, I hate doing currency conversions in the US; I always feel like I am being taken advantage of and prefer to take my chances with the machines in the airport.

I'm a little OCD with travel so I have to have all the tips for each area in a separate envelope before we leave. My band doesn't charge me a fee so I save a little too

But the question was about what to tip the person who delivers the drinks that you order via room service to your cabin. Some people feel that this is an added service beyond just serving a drink in the bar (where the gratuity is already included in the price of the drink) and should be tipped. The person asking the question is from the UK and he was asking advice on how to handle this situation. Also, being from the UK, the gratuities that will be charged to onboard accounts at the end of the cruise for those who booked in the US have already been paid as part of his cruise fare because he booked in the UK. In reality, the ship is not entirely cashless; small gratuities for services rendered are many times paid directly to an individual in cash, such as for room service.

Sorry, just thought they would add tip to room service as well. I am used to Crystal with no tipping. We give cash tips our favorite people, at the end of our cruise, above the no tip policy.

Sorry, just thought they would add tip to room service as well. I am used to Crystal with no tipping. We give cash tips our favorite people, at the end of our cruise, above the no tip policy.

There is no charge for room service on Viking so some folks will tip the delivery person in cash upon delivery, considering this a service above and beyond, similar to the way you will give something at the end of your cruise to those who have been particularly helpful.

there is no charge for room service on viking so some folks will tip the delivery person in cash upon delivery, considering this a service above and beyond, similar to the way you will give something at the end of your cruise to those who have been particularly helpful.

this!