Gelato

FrenchPeach

My husband says he hates gelato. That being said, he had ice cream (ie gelato from the gelato bar at the World Cafe) every day...tiwce! As long as it is chocolate he is happy. I had it a few times when the flavors I like were there,,,,delicious! Obviously I don't eat ice cream that much but I thought it was good. When my husband asked one night at dinner about "gelato vs ice cream" the server said that it was all the same. Who knows? But it was good.

Ah, the age old Gelato vs Ice Cream quandary:

Gelato is the Italian word for ice cream. It starts out with a similar custard base as ice cream, but has a higher proportion of milk and a lower proportion of cream and eggs (or no eggs at all). It is churned at a much slower rate, incorporating less air and leaving the gelato denser than ice cream.

Gelato is served at a slightly warmer temperature than ice cream, so its texture stays silkier and softer. Because it has a lower percentage of fat than ice cream, the main flavor ingredient really shines through.

If it is scooped out in nice round scoops it is probably ice cream. Gelato usually has to be spooned (or scraped) out because of the differences in texture and temperature. Both are wonderful!

Try a container of Talenti gelato from a local supermarket [it's carried almost everywhere here in NY and also in FL and AL where we snowbird]. My favorite flavor is Sea Salt Caramel. I regularly eat 1/2 container of Haagen-Dazs [doing so as I type -- ugh, sticky keyboard again :o] but I can only eat 1/3 of a Talenti container so despite the extra richness it actually is better for me! ;)

It would help to prevent confusion [although at my age you can never be sure :confused:] if you would edit your CC profile to indicate where you are from. It will affect some answers [as in this case], and you can be as vague and general as you like to protect your privacy [just "Canada" would be a big help]

I am really not a fan of ice cream, gelato, frozen yogurt, whatever. One of the servers was trying to get me to try the rum raisin but I refused it because I don't like alcohol in my food. The next night we were in the Chef's Table restaurant and the dessert that came with the meal was, you got it, rum raisin. I decided to try it and I was so mad at myself for not trying it the night before. Unbelievably good. It was never served again. I was told that the specialty gelato's are served once per cruise so if you see a flavor that interests you, go for it. I ended up getting gelato many times on the ship. It really is amazing.

It would help to prevent confusion [although at my age you can never be sure :confused:] if you would edit your CC profile to indicate where you are from. It will affect some answers [as in this case], and you can be as vague and general as you like to protect your privacy [just "Canada" would be a big help]

Will do! Thanks for the tip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am really not a fan of ice cream, gelato, frozen yogurt, whatever. One of the servers was trying to get me to try the rum raisin but I refused it because I don't like alcohol in my food. The next night we were in the Chef's Table restaurant and the dessert that came with the meal was, you got it, rum raisin. I decided to try it and I was so mad at myself for not trying it the night before. Unbelievably good. It was never served again. I was told that the specialty gelato's are served once per cruise so if you see a flavor that interests you, go for it. I ended up getting gelato many times on the ship. It really is amazing.

Sounds delicious [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so glad to see how you are broadening your horizons into the "Wonderful world of'" decadence that has been the foundation of my exploring what lies just around the corner. No gelato is just UnAmerican! You now see that alcohol can flavor and not overwhelm you. Baby steps but I think I see potential!

I am so glad to see how you are broadening your horizons into the "Wonderful world of'" decadence that has been the foundation of my exploring what lies just around the corner. No gelato is just UnAmerican! You now see that alcohol can flavor and not overwhelm you. Baby steps but I think I see potential!

I give myself more credit. Don't forget that I tried the Chef's Table as well!!