Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
The worst of all cruises was the lamb stew-like stuff in gravy on the Norwegian Dream. Absolutely awful & couldn't even eat an entire bite! Not a good night in the dining room cause this entre sounded the best when reading the menu!

Norwegian Dream?????? Really????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The breakfast buffet on Vision OS was boring and repetitive. After the first time, I had trouble finding something each morning.

For dinner, the poultry was consistently overcooked. I had a slice of turkey breast that was dry as a wood chip. No amount of gravy could have saved it.

Same for the Coq Au Vin in the MDR. One bite and I pushed it away. And that was what the waiters were pushing. My friend is a very picky eater and she had Beef Stroganoff that was tomato based and served without sour cream. After that, she ate the beef sliders most meals.

By contrast, lunch in the MDR was always good. We skipped breakfast on sea days and had a long, leisurely lunch with lots of good conversation. Looking forward to that on our upcoming trip.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame that the cost of taking a cruise has gone up considerably within the past few years and the food quality has remained consistently poor. I remember when I first went on a cruise I thought I'd have T-Bone steak every night but it wasn't so, but I did have great meals. The only line that I know of that has good food now is the Celebrity but I've never cruised on RCI ships. The only food some lines can't mess up is scrambled eggs, I've seen them use leftovers on Carnival and Eye-of -Round cut to resemble Filet Migion on the Holland America. I can tell the difference and so could other passengers who asked if I had a pocket knife to cut the "filet."

I'd like to take another cruise but my main reason to go is to savor the food and when the food is terrible, the entire cruise for me is terrible,.

I have to agree with flyguy. I have learned not to order the seafood bisque. The stock is reeking, they call it too salty! I once got a bowl of rice and shrimp soup on the Celebrity for lunch and I had to set it down and walk away. The odor was so strong, I could not carry it to the table. Sometimes you have to know when to dispose of foods, instead of creating new dishes with the leftovers. Once on the RCI we ordered bok choy. When we cut into it, we found that the lower bulb was full of black mud. We showed it to the maitre d' and he removed it from our plates and never returned.

• 7 months later...

well, the one food i found to be completely inedible was a mushroom vinagrette soup i found on carnival. it was a big mushroom in a sour vinegar base. just terrible. my last cruise was on norwegian jade and the food was ..... forgettable. nothing we ate in the main dining rooms was really good. we found one restaurant called shanghia gardens that had good food but that was it. the only thing we could figure is that they were encouraging people to pay more at the expensive restaurants.

Lasagna Boulanese (or however it is spelled) on RC. The lasagna noodles were so over cooked it was almost like glue. And the bolunaise sauce looked like vomit. Horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I have to agree with flyguy. I have learned not to order the seafood bisque. The stock is reeking' date=' they call it too salty! I once got a bowl of rice and shrimp soup on the Celebrity for lunch and I had to set it down and walk away. The odor was so strong, I could not carry it to the table. Sometimes you have to know when to dispose of foods, instead of creating new dishes with the leftovers. Once on the RCI we ordered bok choy. When we cut into it, we found that the lower bulb was full of black mud. We showed it to the maitre d' and he removed it from our plates and never returned.[/quote']

I've had the same experience with seafood bisque, regardless of cruise line. Does no one taste the soup and realize how salty it is?

Roz

On both RCI and Princess I've had steaks that were too tough to eat. Just awful. I love steak and I can eat almost any cut, but there's a limit. It's low, I admit it, but it's there. Both below Ponderosa quality. Both were a one time event.

I also had a really bad steak in the MDR. This was after the specialty restaurants were onboard. I think they do it on purpose, so you will go to the Crown Grill and spend extra.

Nasi Goreng.

Was this on Princess by chance?

I love their MDR and have never failed to eat a dish in 14 years of cruising, but their Nasi Goreng was just plain bad.