Help - Port of Montreal?

We will be taking a cruise in September of 2006, ending up in Montreal. Any suggestions on what we could do with our luggage since our flight is not until 4:00 p.m. and we would like to visit downtown Montreal on our own after disembarking the ship? Really don't want to go to the airport first and then back to downtown and then back to the airport. Would the Port of Montreal terminal have anywhere for us to leave our luggage? :)

Hello

This past May we did a New England-Canada cruise and ended up in Montreal. As we live in Toronto, we were taking the train home. The train station is right in the middle of downtown and you can walk everywhere from there. They have a luggage storage facility (for a small fee per bag) and you don't have to be travelling by train to use it. It worked well for us as we did have several hours before the train home. The station was a 5 to 10 minute taxi ride from the pier. You could then continue on to the airport from downtown by whatever transport you wish. Certainly cabs are plentiful in the area of the terminal. Hope this helps.

Hello Tonklily

Just another thought....there are lots of commuter trains leaving the Montreal station and a good possibility that you could get one that goes to the airport in Dorval.....or to a "shuttle bus" near the airport. Worth checking out as the traffic in Montreal can be terrible, especially on a week day. Could take anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to get to the airport from downtown by cab. Depends on how much luggage you have to "lug" (now I know why they call it that!).

Just remember that cabs from downtown to the airport are a flat rate.

If your flight is at 4pm you will have to be there by 2:30 or 3 so it won't be rush hour yet. Traffic maybe but not rush hour yet.

I don't think you can get a train to the "airport", to Dorval yes as there are people who live in the "Dorval" community, and once off the train, how will you make it to the "airport"?

Shuttle buses will take the same route as a cab.

To the best of my knowledge there are no places to store your luggage at the docks, unless the cruise ships has made allowances for this.

Happy, healthy, safe travels.

• 5 years later...

I am bringing this back to the top because I have exactly the same question as the OP. we disembark in Montreal, but our flight doesn't leave till 4 pm. We would like to use the morning to explore a little, and then have lunch downtown before going to the airport. But what are we to do with the luggage? Any one wi ideas or more recent experience.?

Given the immense logistical issues involved in disembarking your cruise and embarking the next on the same day, I just can't imagine the ship being willing to hold your luggage!

Suggestion - go to a hotel in the part of town you're planning to explore and ask the doormen to store your bags for the day. Tip in advance;)

The Fairmont (Queen/Le Reine Elizabeth) is close to the port, has excellent service and a couple of very good restaurants; you could try the "We're planning to have lunch here but we'd like to walk around a bit first, is it OK if we store our bags?" angle. Unfortunately their *really* good restaurant, the Beaver Club, is only open for dinner but the buffet in Le Montrealais isn't terrible value - especially the Brunch if you happen to be there on a Sunday.

Good idea. Will use it as backup. We are disembarking regent navigator. Have over 100 days with regent, plus navigator is a very small ship and we know several crew well, so I am hoping they will help me out. But if that doesn't work, this is an outstanding idea!

We will be taking a cruise in September of 2006, ending up in Montreal. Any suggestions on what we could do with our luggage since our flight is not until 4:00 p.m. and we would like to visit downtown Montreal on our own after disembarking the ship? Really don't want to go to the airport first and then back to downtown and then back to the airport. Would the Port of Montreal terminal have anywhere for us to leave our luggage? :)

The central CN train station known as Gare Centrale. is in the centre of downtown Montreal

The fairmont Queen Elizabeth hotel was built on top of it.

They have a Baggage check room 'with restrictions' Not sure what that means.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/stations/quebec/montreal

Wonder if that means you have to have a train ticket to use it. Or do they restrict what you can store? We will just have normal luggage.

Both - you need a ticket, photo ID and can't store anything that isn't allowed in checked baggage on a train (though that's probably not an issue). Maybe you could get lucky and they won't ask for a ticket, but I wouldn't try it until after you've tried the Fairfmont (and it's literally downstairs, so easy to try if the Fairmont won't help).

You can store luggage at the Central Bus Station on Berri. The bus to the airport also leaves from there, if you want to bother with it. Or a taxi from there to the airport should be $40 plus tip. VIA also has a luggage room. I'm not aware of the restrictions. In general, overweight luggage may be a problem in Canada because of worker safety laws, so keep luggage under 32 kg.

I was at Central Station today, so I stopped off and asked. The restrictions are that they will only hold luggage for a day. They have a right to open your luggage for inspection (for security) and you need a Via Rail ticket. They are lax with that requirement when it is quiet, but in the summer there is no guarantee that they will be lax on that requirement. (That's what the reception lady told me).

Yes, that is Quebec city. Too bad Montreal xdoesn't follow their lead.

Cruise ship traffic to Montreal is minimal. Most ships can't make it to Montreal, they are just too tall to make it under the electric wires and the bridges. It's just not economic to have left luggage at a terminal that is seldom used.

• 5 years later...