Only in Cabo and PV for 6 hours

MamasNomad

During a Panama Canal cruise in mid April 2018, we will stop in Cabo for 6 hours and PV for 6 hours. We are not 'beachy" people. Any suggestions on what to do during our short port visits? BTW - we have never been to either city before.

Thanks in advance for your ideas !!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, Not knowing your interest, other than no Beach, Here's what we like to do in a short period of time. In PV, I would get a Cab out on the street ( They are cheaper) and take it to the Mercado as it is a fun area to shop around in, then by the Mercado walk over the foot bridge in to Old Town ( Other wise known as Zona Romantica) This is a Wonderful area to walk around as well, Head towards the Ocean and there are numerous places to eat and have a Margarita. Cab back when your ready.

As far as Cabo, you can get a water taxi to the Rock Point which is fun, Takes around 30-45 minutes, then walk around Town a bit to get the feel of it....Much more Touristy than PV. Lots of places to eat and drink, whether around the Marina or Towards town.

We have Cruised to both many times and have spent weeks at a time in both. PV is our favorite "Go To Place"! Feel free to message me with further questions and/or recommendations for Local Restaurants! Mark

In Puerto Vallarta at the port talk to one of the guides offering their services by van to show you around or book a short tour with one of them.

Another option is to take cab to the Malecon, starting near Hotel Rosita or near the famous church. You can walk along the ocean, see/visit shops, restaurants, and of course the ocean. More south at Playa Los Muertos you will find various restaurants right at the beach. Nice old town area.

Cabs at the port charge per person in US$, they cannot take you back. Yellow cabs otuside the port charge per cab, mostly in Pesos. Many accept US$. Price will be (depending where you go) around Pesos 120,- or US$ 8/10,-

On the way back take one of the yellow cabs, but always make your rate before entering.

Hi Cheryl, Not knowing your interest, other than no Beach, Here's what we like to do in a short period of time. In PV, I would get a Cab out on the street ( They are cheaper) and take it to the Mercado as it is a fun area to shop around in, then by the Mercado walk over the foot bridge in to Old Town ( Other wise known as Zona Romantica) This is a Wonderful area to walk around as well, Head towards the Ocean and there are numerous places to eat and have a Margarita. Cab back when your ready.

As far as Cabo, you can get a water taxi to the Rock Point which is fun, Takes around 30-45 minutes, then walk around Town a bit to get the feel of it....Much more Touristy than PV. Lots of places to eat and drink, whether around the Marina or Towards town.

We have Cruised to both many times and have spent weeks at a time in both. PV is our favorite "Go To Place"! Feel free to message me with further questions and/or recommendations for Local Restaurants! Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the great suggestions !! I like your ideas about PV. Sounds like a nice, relaxing way to spend a few hours. We are hoping to get a "feel" for PV to see if we'd like to make that a destination for a future vacation.

I was curious about going out to Rock Point but wasn't sure on how much time it would take. Now I know :cool:. My hubby really wants to visit Cabo Wabo. I heard that place can be a bit of a zoo. Any thoughts?

Cheryl

In Puerto Vallarta at the port talk to one of the guides offering their services by van to show you around or book a short tour with one of them.

Another option is to take cab to the Malecon, starting near Hotel Rosita or near the famous church. You can walk along the ocean, see/visit shops, restaurants, and of course the ocean. More south at Playa Los Muertos you will find various restaurants right at the beach. Nice old town area.

Cabs at the port charge per person in US$, they cannot take you back. Yellow cabs otuside the port charge per cab, mostly in Pesos. Many accept US$. Price will be (depending where you go) around Pesos 120,- or US$ 8/10,-

On the way back take one of the yellow cabs, but always make your rate before entering.

Ine,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. It's nice to have some advice on when & where to grab a cab. We have made some wrong choices in Europe before. For us, Mexico isn't a place to 'live and learn' !!

Cheryl

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the great suggestions !! I like your ideas about PV. Sounds like a nice, relaxing way to spend a few hours. We are hoping to get a "feel" for PV to see if we'd like to make that a destination for a future vacation.

I was curious about going out to Rock Point but wasn't sure on how much time it would take. Now I know :cool:. My hubby really wants to visit Cabo Wabo. I heard that place can be a bit of a zoo. Any thoughts?

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, Cabo Wabo would be fun.....Plenty of others to choose from as well. As far as PV, once you cross the River on the Foot Bridge and head towards the Ocean, There is a lot of places to choose from. You will see "The Malecon" which is a large cement sidewalk that goes along the Ocean....Turn right (north) and it is a great walk back with loads of shopping and places to stop for a Margarita or??? Enjoy!!! One minor suggestion is on your first stop, hit a Bank ATM and draw out some peso's. Much cheaper at those and you will get more using Peso's than the exchange at various shops and Restaurants!! Enjoy! Also, don't worry about the Ice in Drinks, Very Safe! Never been sick! Mark

During the day, Cabo Wabo is sedate, it's at night when things heat up. Go have a drink and a snack and visit the gift shop.

• 1 month later...

We took a food tour in PV and it was great. It's walking tour in the old part of the city and we hit everything from street food to fancy restaurant and included some of the history. We used Valarta Food Tours. You'd have to take a taxi to the start point and check to make sure the timing works for you. We found our that ship time was different than local time and made it just in time.

We took a food tour in PV and it was great. It's walking tour in the old part of the city and we hit everything from street food to fancy restaurant and included some of the history. We used Valarta Food Tours. You'd have to take a taxi to the start point and check to make sure the timing works for you. We found our that ship time was different than local time and made it just in time.

We are going to PV in October on an HAL cruise and I already book a food tour with them. Reading your post, I'm a bit scare now. I didn't thought that we could not be on the same time as local time.

We are schedule to arrive at 10 and I reserved a tour at 11. What was your cruise line and what was the difference between the ship time and the local time? Also, can you tell me how much time did it take to go downtown in taxi? Thanks a lot!

What ship are you on? Indeed some ships have a different time then local time.

We were waiting for friends at 9 am, nobody there. They came at 10 am thinking this was 9 am. So confusing!

What ship are you on? Indeed some ships have a different time then local time.

We were waiting for friends at 9 am, nobody there. They came at 10 am thinking this was 9 am. So confusing!

We will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam on October 8th.

We will be on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam on October 8th.

As far as I can see you will be there between 10 and 6 local time.

Time enough to take a cab or bus to old town and wander around. Have a drink at Playa Los Muertos, walk the Malecon etc.