Baby monitor and stroller

Freckle53

We are cruising next week (7 days, woohoo!) and now planning/packing is getting down to the wire.

We have 2 cabins next door, but not adjoining. Our kids are 13 and nearly 5 and will be in one cabin and we'll be in the other. We still use a baby monitor at home for the 4 year old and it also serves as in intercom for us. It's just a regular voice monitor so I'm assuming it should work between the 2 rooms, right? We have OV aft cabins on deck 2 (not sure if location makes a difference). Not planning on going off and cavorting around the ship with it, just right next door in our cabin. Our oldest loves the kid's clubs/camp and may be out late with them and I'd rather be in our cabin after the younger one goes to sleep.

Also, we joyously planned on leaving the umbrella stroller home this time, but now I'm wondering if we should have it just in case. It's a small, fairly lightweight McClaren Volo. The 4 year will be 5 a few days after the cruise, but those legs still get tired at the most inopportune times. My husband says he will just carry him if he has to, but it's August and we'll be in New Orleans and Mexico and it's just a little hot and muggy there right now. Yay or nay on bringing it just in case?

I don't see why the baby monitors wouldn't work. Ii would take the umbrella stroller if I were you. I went back and forth with the idea when we recently cruised with our 3yo. I was so glad that we took it. I used it more than I thought I would. Like you said they get tired at the most inopportune times. My husband had said the same thing he would just carry him. Well there were times when my husband was swimming or doing something with our older son and it was just me and the little one who I can't pack like my husband can. So he would just hop in his stroller and off we would go. It's easier sometimes just to have them take a ride since their little legs can't always keep up with the adults. I was glad that we had it when we got off of the boat as well. It had a small canopy on it which I used to help protect him from the sun and he could sit there and have his drink and snack while we were navigating through the Ports. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I will insist we take it. I don't see us taking it in port, but we put many miles on strollers on our other two cruises just walking around the ship. I'm hoping the youngest will actually spend some time in camp this time around, but he is going to get extra tired out with all the out of routine stuff and later nights. Plus we have one full day before and 3 days after in New Orleans and may want it at times there too. The only time we've used it at home is at the giant mall in the next city when he gets tired of walking, and that is usually just after an hour or so wandering around.

We used a baby monitor between our side by side (but not adjoining) cabins in the past. We had no problems.

I would bring the stroller. If only for the lines when boarding, and wandering ports.

I'd also bring a night light of some kind. Cabins can get very dark, and your little might want something rather than waking up in a dark room.

Have a great time!

Our oldest loves the kid's clubs/camp and may be out late with them and I'd rather be in our cabin after the younger one goes to sleep.

I honestly can't imagine leaving a 4 yo in a cabin by himself, even with a monitor on. Even the most mature 4 yo can slip out unnoticed and you may not hear it on the monitor.

P.S. We have a 6 yo, and we wouldn't put him in a separate cabin, unless it's with a responsible adult (not a 13 yo that will be out with friends).

I won the stroller "war" and along it comes!

I hit the lottery and both of my kids are the types where they would not get out of bed when they woke until I came to get them. My youngest even calls for me if one of his stuffed animals falls on the floor next to his bed because once he is in bed, he stays there and won't even reach outside of it aside from his nightstand.

He will be 5 two days after our cruise is over. I'm pretty confident that I would hear everything on the monitor just like I do at home. I have that volume up all the way and at highest sensitivity. I cannot sleep without the white noise of it in the background.

He would never go anywhere, not even the bathroom in his own cabin, without us there. I don't foresee him even being there "alone" very long or often. He'll be up way past his bedtime as it is and I wouldn't leave his room until he was sound asleep. My older son (who is very responsible as well) will probably be headed back by then anyway. We can always prop our door open too. I do understand that some kids might be tempted. My nephew would be out of there and at the bridge with the Captain within 5 minutes.

Confusing. You state you don't have adjoining cabins. What door will you prop open?

Correct, we don't have adjoining/connecting cabins. I meant our cabin door to the hallway, which is thisclose to my sons' cabin door to the hallway. Our cabins are aft and our hallway doors make an L to each other.

Correct, we don't have adjoining/connecting cabins. I meant our cabin door to the hallway, which is thisclose to my sons' cabin door to the hallway. Our cabins are aft and our hallway doors make an L to each other.

Regardless of how close your door is...I personally wouldn't want to prop my door open :eek:

Cabin doors are very heavy and are usually just propped open by the stewards when cleaning. I don't suggest propping the doors anyway, especially since you'll just have a bunch of nosey people looking in your room.

I have to agree that I would not put a 13-year-old in a separate cabin with a 4-year-old. Whether the 13-year-old is out having fun or not, I would not put a 13-year-old child in charge of a younger sibling in a situation like this. In my opinion, it's not like running to the store at home and letting the 13-year-old babysit. To me, the monitor is irrelevant. An adult should be present in the room. The parents should sleep separately, one with each kid. The day will come when the kids are old enough for this set-up, but you aren't there yet.