1st time cruise - questions

nayuval

Hello,

this looks like great forum. I am planning our 1st cruise ever, on September 18, the western med. route (Barcelona to Rome). we are a couple with 3 children, who will be 12 y/o, 7 y/o and 1 y/o.

I am really in big thoughts and hesitation on which ship to choose, the new Symphony or the Epic, and now, an agent also suggested new MSC Seaside which will be also new next year.

It looks like I can get the Haven on the EPIC almost at the same price of 2 connected sea balcony rooms on the Symphony and much much lower price on the MSC.

I have read some pretty bad reviews on the MSC, comparing NCL and RCI.

My main question is should I go choose the ship by the room, if so the EPIC with the Haven can be a winner or should I go and pick brand new ship with great reviews like the RCI? I read also pretty good reviews on the EPIC so really hesitating. People told me not to book by the room because most of the time I will not use it, however, with 3 children, including a baby, this could be an important one to have enough space or am I mistaken here?

I assume for children my age, both the EPIC and the Symphony would give them great time...

Also, additional question, the kids club, can parents go in or it is only for the kids and staff? I am not sure if my 7 y/o would like to be alone there, mainly at the beginning.

And last one, should I go on the mid ship if someone is sensitive or either rear or forward facing are OK as well?

Thank a lot!

I can say nothing if the ships, but as for room planning....space is key. As a mom of 4. Get the adjoining room. My thinking is 'alone time for parents', or heaven forbid someone gets sick, you can separate them off, bathrooms. Sleepers in one area early risers in another...messy kids stuff...stays in their space! Haha

looking forward to other comments because I have wondered the same for future lines/comparison.

Have fun planning!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

The kid's clubs are only for the kids...parents aren't allowed. You wouldn't want other adults in there with YOUR kids, would you? The staff is well-trained and very competent. If they need you, they will find you! No worries! Take the kids on the 1st night, for "orientation"...that's when EVERYONE is "new"...your 7 year old will be fine!

You may want a ship with a nursery for the 1 year old....

As far as the cabin goes...your kids are so young...either connecting cabins or all in one space would be my choice. And yes...because you have "nappers" a larger cabin will be more comfortable as you will be in there more than most....

You are correct that either NCL or RCI will be good choices. I'm not familiar with MSC...I believe it to be very "European" in feel....so it will be a different cruise experience.

Your 2 older kids will love the kid's club on either cruise line.....

The kid's clubs are only for the kids...parents aren't allowed. You wouldn't want other adults in there with YOUR kids, would you? The staff is well-trained and very competent. If they need you, they will find you! No worries! Take the kids on the 1st night, for "orientation"...that's when EVERYONE is "new"...your 7 year old will be fine!

that depends. We were able to stay with our kid in the kid's club room playing games on the computer on Caribbean Princess. There were other parents present as well.

Every kid is different. Our kid has a stranger and separation anxiety and will not stay at kid's club by himself. We started cruising since he was 3, and 3 years later he is yet to stay at the kid's club by himself.

I too would be going with 2 rooms. Cruise ship rooms are SMALL compared to a hotel room, unless you are in a suite, and then you still only have 1 bathroom. The baby is going to be with you 24/7, just like at home, so having that balcony space is key during nap time or when putting down for bed. I would probably put the older kids in their own room and keep the baby with me...

Thank you all...I think that the EPIC haven is larger than 2 connected rooms, plus the tub advantage and other perks...

One more question relates to shore excursions, assuming I will use the NCL excursion, do you know if there is any child seats available there or I need to bring my own? Same question goes if I use taxis instead of NCL suggested plans...has anyone been using taxis in France/Italy with kids? do they require child seat and if so, do any of taxis have child seats available ?

Thanks once again...

Yuval