Occupancy Waiver for Infant

MissyF3486

Hi there --

We have been intrigued about cruising the new MSC Seaside in the Caribbean in 2017-2018, so I called in to their customer service line today and asked about pricing for a cabin for 5 people -- 3 adults and two infants (let's just say their website is less than awesome). I was expecting that we would be forced into two cabins or a pricey suite, but the rep informed me that as long as the 5th passenger is an infant, we could book ANY stateroom that holds 4 and simply fill out an occupancy waiver to get the baby included as a 5th in the stateroom.

This seems too good to be true! With MSC's "kids sail free" and a reduced rate for the 3rd adult, we're talking less than $2000 total for 5 pax on a 7-night cruise on a brand new ship! PLUS, MSC is offering a free drinks package on any bookings on Seaside this month, AND an additional discount with a Voyagers Club Number.

My questions are three-fold:

1) Has anyone used this 5th passenger infant occupancy waiver on prior cruises? Is there a limit of the number of these per cruise?

2) We've sailed previously with NCL and I've talked to one of their reps and they said they do not have this same policy. Do you know if any of the other lines offer this option?

3) Is anyone familiar with the childcare on MSC? Do they offer in-cabin babysitting and/or free or for-fee nursery drop-off?

Thanks so much!

Missy

Is this cruise si\ailing from a US port? US Coast Guard regs (and maybe 2010 SOLAS) do not allow ships launched after 2000 to place more people in a cabin that it was rated for. I would be wary...this may be allowed in Europe, but...EM

It is for the MSC Seaside, which will be sailing out of Miami. I was only asking after that specific ship and on a Caribbean itinerary, so the MSC rep definitely knew it was sailing out of the US. I would assume that since the Divina has been in the Carribean for awhile now that their reps would be aware if the waiver doesn't apply in the US?

Man, I hope I didn't get excited for nothing!

Hoping someone on this board has sailed MSC out of the US with an infant that can give me the low-down! If not, I can always call a rep back tomorrow and confirm.

Thanks!

We sailed the Divina out of Miami. Originally they tried to place 3 of us (child 3 years old) in a cabin for 2 and sign a waiver. Once we saw the waiver which basically absolves them of any responsibility if anything happens to the extra person we refused to sign it (got moved to a cabin for 3).

They had a kids club, but not babysitting. They had the club available with baby toys during some of the time they were closed (parents playing with kids--not drop off).

HAL stated that they will not allow an infant to be the 3rd passenger in a room for two. I'd confirm anything important in writing via email prior to booking, since people on this board have frequently been given incorrect information by booking agents over the phone. Good luck.

We sailed the Divina out of Miami. Originally they tried to place 3 of us (child 3 years old) in a cabin for 2 and sign a waiver. Once we saw the waiver which basically absolves them of any responsibility if anything happens to the extra person we refused to sign it (got moved to a cabin for 3).

All else (price, in particular) being equal, I would rather have the option to sue if something really awful happened. But, in OP's scenario, I would absolutely take that deal. There is nothing inherently less safe about having an extra baby in a cabin.

It would be different if they were going over the maximum occupancy of the ship, and didn't have enough lifeboats for everybody. Just make sure there are enough life jackets in the right sizes when you get to the cabin. If not, request them from your steward right away, or, better yet, bring your own infant-sized life vests.

• 6 months later...
HAL stated that they will not allow an infant to be the 3rd passenger in a room for two. I'd confirm anything important in writing via email prior to booking, since people on this board have frequently been given incorrect information by booking agents over the phone. Good luck.

Just the opposite with RCI....they will let an infant (ours was going to be in one of their pack-n-plays) be the 3rd passenger in a double occupancy cabin. There was no waiver needed at all.

Edited by Ashland

Is this cruise si\ailing from a US port? US Coast Guard regs (and maybe 2010 SOLAS) do not allow ships launched after 2000 to place more people in a cabin that it was rated for. I would be wary...this may be allowed in Europe, but...EM

First off, as I've said many times before, USCG regulations DO NOT apply to any foreign flag ship regardless of whether it sails out of the US or not. Now, having just leafed through my copy of the 2014 SOLAS, I don't see anything about passenger cabin occupancy. Infants may be allowed in cabins over the stated capacity, at the line's discretion, so long as the infant does not exceed the lifeboat capacity. Whether or not the line has you sign a liability waiver is their decision.

I'm not sure how it would work for 5 pax in a cabin, but children under 2 sail for free on Cunard. That was certainly a deciding factor for "jumping ship" from RCI/Celebrity and booking our next cruise with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My family Cruised on MSC Divina last June (2016) with an infant as a fifth passenger in a balcony room. As long as you are in a 4 person room, a child 0-1 year old can be added. You have to contact your cruise agent to get a waiver and then you'll be set. My husband and I shared the bed and two of our kids shared the fold-down couch. After that, there wasn't room for a bed for our 8 month old baby, so we made a makeshift bed out of pillows and a blanket on the floor (luckily she wasn't crawling yet).

As far as kid programs, I was on the cruise with a family reunion including 25 kids ranging from 8 months to 16 years old. None of the kids really liked the kids programs, unfortunately. We went to a few of the classes/activities and they were fun, but overall, none of the kids really wanted to go to the kid's club. The hours that the kids club was open weren't really conducive to afternoon nap time either. But I did take advantage of the happy dinners, where the kid's club workers would pick up kids early from our family dinners in the dining room. That was really nice because the dinners take a long time. The only issue with that is kids have to be at least 3 years old to enroll in that program, so if you have younger ones, they have to stay with you. If you do that program, I would sign up you child/children on the first day for the whole week because it seemed to fill up and if you opt not to use it, you just tell them when they come to the dining room.

here is what the MSC website says about childcare for toddlers ages 1-3:

"NEW! MSC BABYCARE SERVICE

"MSC Cruises has considered vacation time for parents as well. So, we are now offering you the opportunity to drop your children off at the Mini Club where they will be looked after by our qualified and dedicated staff. The MSC Babycare service is available while the ship is sailing and while parents disembark for an excursion. Please inform our onboard activity coordinators at least one day in advance to utilize this service. Available at the following times while ship is at sea; between 11:00am and 2:00pm & between 6:00pm and 7:00pm.

"Times are subject to change, check the daily program on board the ship. Subject to prior booking, limited availability, for children between 1 and 3 years old (not inclusive)."

Unfortunately, there is nothing for babies under a year old.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Edited by hnalove

• 7 months later...

I'm in a very similar situation. The MSC Seaside in March 2018. Rooms were getting booked left and right. My agent found my son (will be 25 months at time of cruise), wife, and I a balcony room one room away from my parents. The agent expressed that we can book the room but must fill out an Occupancy Letter for my son and submit it to MSC for approval before MSC would process my payment. This was strange to me because the room has two beds and a couch and can certainly accommodate the 3 of us. Furthermore, the waiver only states any information for having a 5th person in a room. The waiver doesn't really seem to apply to my situation. Regardless I signed it and sent it back and am now waiting on MSCs approval (I hope).

Anyone else find this strange? Or has anyone else delt with this before?

Thanks!!!