Galveston flooding

WEATHER channel just showed live feed from Galveston....the main street is knee deep water and coming in more as the storm is just off to the south. No way any of the cars left by tourists in any of the lots are safe. I would expect they are all totaled. Just my thoughts.

As far as the Breeze, Freedom and Valor coming back in the next few days...I hope they can but don't hold your breath. It is like a lake there right now.

Today is another story!

Pouring rain all night, most streets north of Seawall are flooded with those nearest in the best condition.

But, it is draining and the storm is moving east to Louisiana - so sorry neighbor:(

The downtown Strand did flood, but do not know the extent. We are 14 blocks south and had street flooding up to the bottom step of our raised house.

Wind still blowing at 36 mph with gusts to 52 mph, but seems rain is letting up. Later this afternoon or tonight will be the earliest to be able to get out to drive around.

Hey Mary

you and Lee stay safe

How is Galveston going to handle 4 cruise ships on Friday?

Today is another story!

Pouring rain all night, most streets north of Seawall are flooded with those nearest in the best condition.

But, it is draining and the storm is moving east to Louisiana - so sorry neighbor:(

The downtown Strand did flood, but do not know the extent. We are 14 blocks south and had street flooding up to the bottom step of our raised house.

Wind still blowing at 36 mph with gusts to 52 mph, but seems rain is letting up. Later this afternoon or tonight will be the earliest to be able to get out to drive around.

Thank you so much for the update and praying you and your family are safe and any damage, minimal. If you have the time, it is asking a lot, would you kindly comment on how bad the hotels along the seawall where damaged?

WEATHER channel just showed live feed from Galveston....the main street is knee deep water and coming in more as the storm is just off to the south. No way any of the cars left by tourists in any of the lots are safe. I would expect they are all totaled. Just my thoughts.

As far as the Breeze, Freedom and Valor coming back in the next few days...I hope they can but don't hold your breath. It is like a lake there right now.

A remarkable amount of wrong information. All the lots didn't flood. Please don't be an alarmist. The terminals didn't flood, the cold storage warehouses needed to provision ships didn't flood and power wasn't lost to the harbor area.

We expect ships back here before Saturday.

Thank you so much for the update and praying you and your family are safe and any damage, minimal. If you have the time, it is asking a lot, would you kindly comment on how bad the hotels along the seawall where damaged?

Sorry I didn't answer tight away; went to dinner last night on Seawall!

Any damage to hotels was minor; some leaks and siding off. Absolutely nothing major here.

We were very blessed to only had high water from rain which drained rapidly. Took a little longer on north side of Broadway due to high tide.

Today is beautiful, the beaches are awesome. Tide was far out due to north wind; beach looked amazing as we drove along the seawall.

Grocers are open, restaurants are slowly opening; not due to storm but provisioning as foods served can be no more than three days old.

Off to Pier 21 this afternoon to celebrate a birthday and first happy hour since last Friday!

Picked up palm fronds as City has had refuse workers consistently driving through neighborhoods to pick up debris.

The City has been wonderful, informative and on top any issues.

Galveston and Texas Strong!

Off to Pier 21 this afternoon to celebrate a birthday and first happy hour...

Galveston and Texas Strong!

We're not far behind. I have to swim out to the boathouse for a buddy and level the boat in the slings and then I'm ready for a East Beach sunset.

So...we have an Oct 15 cruise planned & a hotel in Houston (Clear Lake) already booked. Would it be better to try & rebook in Galveston, rather than Houston?

Call the hotel. All roads are passable in a Clear Lake. Where are you staying?

I think it's a Marriott property. Not sure which one (I'm not home & using my phone).

Don't change your reservation. From Hobby to Galveston and all over the island you cannot tell a storm hit here. Hotels are open, restaurants are open and the beach was beautiful with a very low tide tonight. There are no streets flooded, no debris on any of the roads from Harborside to the Seawall.

Don't change your reservation. From Hobby to Galveston and all over the island you cannot tell a storm hit here. Hotels are open, restaurants are open and the beach was beautiful with a very low tide tonight. There are no streets flooded, no debris on any of the roads from Harborside to the Seawall.

If you are saying Galveston beaches are beautiful at anytime

You really need to travel more;p

Glad to hear Galveston has cleared up

Now if the Historical society could ever get the trollies fixed that would be great

If you are saying Galveston beaches are beautiful at anytime you really need to travel more;p

Glad to hear Galveston has cleared up. Now if the Historical society could ever get the trollies fixed that would be great

I'm on my second passport :cool:. We love East Beach in the evenings along Beachtown and by Palisades Palms Towers.

Do you know the story behind the trolly? The tracks were laid along the brick street beds on the Strand with poor quality reinforcement. Then when Ike hit the roundhouse (of sorts) was trashed with the tide surge and all of the trains were swamped.

Galveston didn't get it done as on the rebuild part, and the economic hit post Ike weakened the budget for the trains. This summer there are trolley buses running the old routes and making more stops.

Here's a link from Galveston dot com that has some numbers for the expense.

http://www.galveston.com/blog/549/galveston-trolley-system-on-track-to-restoration-by-2018/

If you are saying Galveston beaches are beautiful at anytime

You really need to travel more;p

Glad to hear Galveston has cleared up

Now if the Historical society could ever get the trollies fixed that would be great

Jon:

That is rude! Are you here to see them?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. We love our Island.

I have traveled/lived all over the world, but this is my home - by choice.

The Historical Foundation has nothing to do with the trolleys.

Jon:

That is rude! Are you here to see them?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. We love our Island.

I have traveled/lived all over the world, but this is my home - by choice.

The Historical Foundation has nothing to do with the trolleys.

Well Good Morning Mary

I did say that with joking imogy didn't I?

I have been to Galveston and the beaches lots of times

We do our weekend getaways to there

Even stayed at the Palisade palm towers with our friends from out of state

Im not putting down the Island

we have even looked at buying down there

BUT

If we are talking about Texas beaches

I think South Padre Island beaches are alot nicer

doesn't have all that brown water from the Mississippi that Galveston does

But that's my opinion, doesn't make it wrong

You have a nice day

I need to get to SFO, so I can fly back to LIsa finally. Hopefully it wont be canceled

Than help our friends with their houses that were flooded from Lake Houston and San Jacinto River.

Hey Mary

you and Lee stay safe

How is Galveston going to handle 4 cruise ships on Friday?

Galveston has all four ships covered this weekend and all be on regular schedules by Monday sailings. Only valor will miss Saturday sailing but back to normal schedule for Monday. The other three will sail as normally this weekend.

Hope this satisfies you.

How is the gas issue, many of the stations in Dallas and other cities in Texas are out , long lines and high prices at others ( dollar more per gallon than last week) ,I know most people drive there

Little or no problems from just south of the beltway to the island. Drove it again today. 2.03 a gallon. That price changes daily.

We are certainly keeping watch on both the roads conditions and the gas. Here in San Antonio this morning, waited 2 hours for 1/2 a tank of gas, and stations are out everywhere (I even saw a post that Buc-ee's were running low on fuel) and we are praying all this changes quickly so we can actually get in our car and DRIVE to Galveston for our cruise......I SEE on the news that the RR Commissioner said that there was NO fuel shortage in Texas...but tell that to your empty gas tank and see if it will continue to move your car forward when you need to be somewhere.....:(

When you come back I'm going to see that Ellie bites you...

Safe travels. The damage to parts of Houston is unbelievable. bbcd49c45cd82d72c42791e8b19ab520.jpg

Cute dog

She looks more like a licker than a biter

Just got back today

drove through the neighborhoods, near our house, at Lake Houston

WOW all the piles of furniture and sheetrock down all those streets

The stores and restaurants with waterline marks 7-8 ft up on dirty windows

I will be helping some friends with their house tomorrow